1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What is the consensus on Stargate SG-U?

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by cineMANIAC, Feb 11, 2010.

1. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    I gave up watching television long ago because of the constant bombardment of commercials and other various annoying intrusions like pop-ups, blurbs and logos so I haven't seen this latest incarnation of Stargate. I'm a huge fan of both SG-1 and Atlantis and was excited to learn about yet another series...I assume the lack of a thread on this new show means it's not very good? Or is it a case of a show veering too far off of the familiar storylines/characters of the original(s) that people just haven't warmed up to it? I'm considering picking up the Blu-ray that was just released but with an MSRP of $50-$60 for what seems to be a partial release it's just too steep a price to dive in blindly. How do you guys feel about this show and is it anything like the previous versions or should I not bother pursuing it?

2. Greg_S_H

Greg_S_H Well-Known Member

Greg
    Most people in this section of the forum have been critical, while there is more support for it in the TV and HDTV Programming section. I mostly like it with some caveats. It's a different show. It's the most serialized Stargate yet, and where SG1 and Atlantis pretty much left sex and politics out of it, they seem to have more of an agenda to push with this show. That's where I'm on the fence with it. I like the characters and the situation and want to see where they're going with it, but they are pushing the sex thing to the point of being pretty distasteful as far as I'm concerned. Others may be thrilled with that aspect. Can I recommend it as a blind buy? I really can't say. I imagine Sci-Fi reruns it, so you'd probably be better off putting up with the trappings of network television to see if you like it rather than risking money. You can also find episodes for free on YouTube, though quality is an issue and they are probably taken down as soon as they are discovered.

If you want some insight into the sex thing, I'll spoilerize it. Note that some here think I'm strange to have a problem with this:

Remember the stones that Daniel and Vala used that led them to discover the Ori? Well, they have them on the Destiny and they use them to swap bodies with people back on Earth. Then, they--in someone else's bodies--go and visit their loved ones and sometimes end up having sex with them. It's their minds, but their loved ones see the other person. It's just kind of icky to me. The argument is that those manning the stones volunteered and knew what they were in for, but I figure the Air Force just intended them to be able to have contact with those back home and not necessarily to take it to that step. That seems like a stretch for the Stargate program anyway, to allow that many people to know of its existence. One character visited his mother and posed as a colleague, just letting her know he was alright. That's more realistic than, "Hi, honey! It's me in another body. Yeah, that stuff is possible now thanks to this Stargate program that I was never supposed to tell you about in the first place."

I'm starting to talk myself out of liking the show!

And all of this is a huge part of the show--not just side plots.

3. kemcha

kemcha Well-Known Member

The problem with the new series is that it's stagnant and the characters are two-dimensional who seem to have all of the talent of a cardboard box. SGU and Caprica are suffering from the same problems ...

4. TravisR

TravisR Well-Known Member

5. kemcha

kemcha Well-Known Member

Luisito, I would stay far away from this series. $50-60 for 10 episodes is far too steep for a half season set. That is why blu ray sucks so much is because of the price. At any rate, NBC definitely has a problem with SGU and with Caprica. Caprica's ratings seem to keep sliding every week and they hit a new low last week, where the ratings for Caprica hit a new low, Jay Leno's last episode for his prime time show received more viewers than Caprica and SGU isn't much better.

The problem with SGU is that Sci Fi isn't giving it the kind of exposure it so desperately needs. The show definitely needs to be shown in repeats on the channel and give new fans a chance to absorb it. Instead, Sci Fi has decided not to show any repeats and that may end up dooming the show to failure. I couldn't even get through the first epsiode because it was so dull and boring.

Just take a look at the complaints over at Sci Fi's own website and the viewers say it all ... it's just not Stargate and the producers and directors are too intent on breaking the mold of the previous shows and they've tried to reinvent the franchise and it's just not working. More and more fans have abandoned the show.

6. TravisR

Caprica has been on for three weeks. The way that ratings generally work for a show (whether it's a hit or a failure) is that people tune in for the first few episodes and inevitably, some don't like it and don't come back so the numbers continue to drop from the premiere until they hit a basic plateau. If the ratings continue to drop, the show is doomed but saying that it hit an all time low after the third episode is just twisitng the facts to suit your point.

7. Arild

Arild Well-Known Member

I want to mention that while all sci-fi series have their detractors, the SGU haters tend to take their hatred to the extreme. They like to search for online articles with comments sections, discussion forums and threads like this (though not this one, not yet anyway) just so they can spread their bitterness as far and as wide as they possibly can in some kind of bizzare attempt to make the show look less popular than it is.

I'm not being paranoid here, I've looked around and found the same people posting the same stuff on different sites over and over again. Usually they'll start off by saying something like "I wanted to like this show. I really did." in an attempt to gain some cred, although they're obviously lying as anyone who's been (I wanna say "unfortunate enough to be") around Stargate fandom for a while knows this hate campaign has been going on since long before a single frame of show was even shot (I won't go into the twisted reasoning behind it - feel free to look up old posts on Gateworld or whatever if you care). Anyway, they'll go on to criticise the show with all kinds of unreasonable complaints ("It's a soap opera, plain and simple!"..."It's just boring!"..."It's like the young edgy SG-1 segment from 200!!"..."It destroyed Stargate forever and raped my sister!!"). And you can bet at some point they'll refer to the show as "BattleGate Galactica" or "Stargate: 90210" or one out of any number of "witty" combinations they can think of.

There are legitimate reasons to critisize SGU, sure. Personally, I tend to agree with what Greg said above; there's a little too much sex and such. I hope to see this diminished as the series progresses.

Why am I ranting about this? Well - the original poster wanted to know if SGU is worth checking out. I just want to let him and everyone know that a definite useful answer to this is not going to be found anywhere. Stargate fandom is very fractured and all sides (but mostly the haters) are out there preaching their beliefs any place they can. The only advice I can give is; check it out and decide for yourself. For what it's worth, I'm a longtime Stargate fan who loved SG-1 and liked Atlantis. I currently like SGU, but more for the potential I see in it than what's already been shown. After ten episodes, the show still feels like it's in its introduction stage and it has yet to really find its tone (which, by the way, makes it a big mistake for MGM/Fox to release the first half of the season by itself, IMO). But based on what I've read about the show's future, I'm confident it will start to take off pretty soon.

Bottom line - there's no consensus on SGU. If you're unsure, I'd say wait until you can check out the whole season. Don't judge it by these first few episodes, and don't take anyone's word as to its quality.

8. Arild

Arild Well-Known Member

Pretty sure this is false. Initially, the ratings actually went up with the first episode after the premiere - which practically never happens. Towards the end of the half season, ratings went down but this was due to a significantly increased competition. The amount of viewers actually stayed pretty much intact, it was just that a lot more of them were DVR'ing the show.

Also, comparing Caprica's ratings to Jay Leno is just... well, really out there. Leno is on NBC. Caprica and SGU are on cable. It's comparing apples and oranges. Cable shows just won't be getting the same ratings as a prime time show on a mejor network.

Also, Blu-Ray doesn't suck.

9. cineMANIAC

cineMANIAC Premium
    Supporter

Luis
    Hi I'm the original poster. I'm a big believer in giving things a chance to grow and I wish the studios/producers had more faith in their creations and gave them a chance to build an audience. This is why I decided to go ahead and blind-buy the series on Blu-ray. I don't have a problem when producers decide to go in new directions. Atlantis had different characters and a different setting and to me it was just as enjoyable as SG-1. If the same people are also behind SG-U then there's a good chance it will be enjoyable as well and I'm willing to give it a chance. If my memory is correct SG-1 wasn't a big draw in the beginning...If the producers had given up because it wasn't a huge hit we would'nt have had one of the best (and longest running) sci-fi series ever created

10. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Well-Known Member

You could always netflix it.

11. kemcha

kemcha Well-Known Member

Arild, the problem with Sci Fi is that they tend to stay away from repeating or rebroadcasting episodes of the television series, if it's currently producing new episodes. If Sci Fi is broadcasting a new season of a television series, they don't broadcast repeat episodes of that same season and that's killing the ratings because fans who might be interested in checking out the series won't check it out.

Also, Arild, the complaints I'm referring to are the complaints posted by Stargate fans on Sci Fi's own website and their own forums.

I was more than willing to give this new series a chance and tried to make it work. However, after watching the initial 3-part pilot, which was extremely uninteresting, I also tried to sit through the series but couldn't get through it. I'm not a Stargate basher as I own all ten seasons of SG1 as well as the Stargate Atlantis series. I've just been disappointed at the direction of the series because while it's a Stargate series, it just doesn't feel like Stargate.

A lot of Stargate fans feel the same way. Even Sci Fi has reported that the ratings for the show have been steadily decreasing and the last report that I saw was back on January 9th.

12. Arild

Arild Well-Known Member

Hence the mid-season DVD release, I guess...

Yes... those are the same people I was talking about. But forum posts are certainly not a good indicator to what the general consensus is. Never have been, never will be. Stargate forums (and most online fandoms in general, but Stargate especially) have been flooded with complaints, bitching and general negativity for a very long time. It has just reached new extremes with SGU.

Like I said... DVR. The ratings have gone down, but people have kept on watching. And I don't care. Whatever the viewing numbers were, it was obviously enough for SyFy to renew the show for another year. That's all that matters as far as I'm concerned.

13. kemcha

kemcha Well-Known Member

Arild, the members on the Sci Fi forums are the very same fans who watch their programs. You make it sound like the forum members on Sci Fi.com's own website are just anti-Stargate fans. That simply isn't true.

SyFy ordered the new season because (1) they aren't ready to abandon the show just yet or (2) they don't have another new series to replace it. Also, releasing the season in half season sets isn't compelling fans to purchase the release.

I purchased all 10 seasons of SG1 and Atlantis as full season sets and usually paid around $35-40 for a full season set. Now, why would I want to pay that same price for a half season set? Would I purchase the DVD release sometime down the line? Maybe, but I don't buy any television shows that are released as half season sets.

14. AlexF

AlexF Well-Known Member

Alex
    I enjoyed the first season of SGU to date. The quality was (admittedly) a bit up and down, and there were some side-treks that didn't sit well with me as I watched it, but overall, it was decent.

Will I buy the half-season DVD set? Not a chance. I'll be waiting for the full season to come out down the road. Like Kemcha, I don't buy half-season sets.

In terms of the SyFy forums -- like any set of channel forums, not everyone visits those. Most of the comments I've read on other SG-related forums are generally positive about the series (like me, with some issues and problems with it along the way, but that's natural), but the SyFy ones seem almost uniformly negative from my brief visits.

15. Arild

Arild Well-Known Member

I didn't say that. What I mean is, nerds on internet forum - be they here, on SyFy's own forum or any Stargate fansite you can name - are not representative of the general viewing audience or even Stargate fans. As with all discussion topics, the ones with an axe to grind will always be the ones who call the most attention to themselves. They mean nothing in the grand scheme of things. If you've been around internet discussions for any significant amount of time, you should know this to be true.

Also, I was never talking about "anti-Stargate fans". I think you missed my point. My earlier rant was about Stargate fans who are rabidly anti-SGU. There's a group of fans who have hated SGU from the moment they heard about it (for their own sad fan political reasons), despite knowing nothing about it and have kept bashing the show since, never having given the show a fair chance at all. They are the ones I was talking about earlier.

16. kemcha

kemcha Well-Known Member

Like I said, you make it sound like anyone who voices an opinion about SGU not being a good series is a "nerd" and is a Stargate hater.

Arild, you jumped to the conclusion that unless someone likes SGU, that they are nothing more than "nerds" or Stargate haters. Instead of accepting the idea that there is a very large segment of the online community that just doesn't like this series you just dismiss those fans as nothing more than haters.

Believe it or not, while there are a percentage of viewers who don't like a certain series, and this is with every show, there seems to be a lot of Stargate fans who don't like SGU. Obviously online surfers who like previous Stargate shows don't like this new series. Otherwise, they wouldn't waste their time creating an account on the scifi forums and posting hundreds upon hundreds of comments.

While I've tried watching a few of the episodes, SGU doesn't have that same atmosphere of being a Stargate series. The fact is that the producers of the series shouldn't have tried to rewrite the direction of the franchise and that's what has kicked off this firestorm of negativity among these Stargate fans who have been commenting.

What Arild is neglecting to mention is that if these forum members who have been commenting on the Sci Fi forums as well as the SG1-Archives website/forums wouldn't be commenting if they didn't care about the future of the series. Personally, I don't see SGU lasting too long unless they go back to the formula that made the SG1 and Atlantis so successful.

The series just lacks those ingredients that made the first two Stargate series so popular among fans. For me? I've enjoyed the SG1 and Stargate Atlantis tremendously but I have a hard time getting into this new series. With SG1, there was Richard Dean Anderson to bring in science fiction fans into the series. Don S. Davis was also a very recognizable presence as he has appeared in a great deal of Hollywood movies. Stargate Atlantis carried over those Stargate fans but a great deal of fans have had trouble with following or becoming interested in SGU. If I didn't like Stargate, I wouldn't have spent over $200 on 15 boxed sets of the franchise series.

17. Arild

Arild Well-Known Member

Originally Posted by kemcha

18. kemcha

kemcha Well-Known Member

Actually, more than that. I've paid about $20 per set. More like $300. The only thing I do know is that Sci Fi needs to change the direction of the show. Otherwise, they're going to end up losing more viewers and fans of the franchise. This is the same reason why I don't watch Caprica. That series is just plain boring. It's basically Dynasty Meets the O.C.

While each series is a spinoff from the core series, they have taken drastically different directions. Caprica could have been written as a science fiction series while exploring how the cylons came to be. There really was no need to turn it into a soap opera. SGU is basically a series about humans who are trapped on a spaceship that flies itself and comes out of warp when its low on supplies.

This is why reboot shows like Knight Rider, Invisible Man, Tremors have all failed. I think the producers of both shows are hoping that fans will stick with Caprica and SGU but I just don't see that happening. I even caught a more recent episode of Caprica where Joseph Adama's daughter, Tamara, was released from her holoband cell ... it just don't get more boring than that episode.

19. TravisR

"[M]ore recent episode" is a funny thing to call it when the series has aired a grand total of three episodes.

20. kemcha

kemcha Well-Known Member

Five episodes. The pilot episode is considered two episodes. And, it is a more recent episode, no matter how many episodes have been released. Because it has only three regular episodes does not make it less so.