What's new

What is the Best DVD-R Blank media (1 Viewer)

mcintosh

Grip
Real Name
GREGORY

The best, in my humble opinion is the Mobile Fidelity Cds and DVDs. Their UltraDisc UHR GAIN 2. Which is the same disc they use on their HYBRID/SACDs. Clean, almost scratch proof, these discs will perform greatly, and last a while. $4.99 a piece, and worth every penny. Of course, they have special bundled packages.
Check musicdirectcom. There:) also a good source for music and audio gear. Good fast service.

Kennethlawson

Auditioning
Real Name
Kenneth Lawson
I have never had a problem recording any brand disc, However, I did have fugifilm disc for a while, and the one home theater dvd player in bedroom didn't like to play the fugifilm dvds,
I play my dvds through the sound system, and only record with recorder.
Point being even it it records the disc, some older playes may not like them.

bradhart

Agent
Real Name
Brad Hart
Just thought I would chime in since the thread still seems to get some activity, it usually isn't the disc that is a problem, but rather the hardware that records it that is a problem. I just recently cloned my entire dvd collection some 7000 movies and will tell you there were very few bad discs and I used everything from staples and office depo to sony and memorex. I counted up a total of 22 brands in one 520 disk case. In the sixteen months it took me to record and burn all of those I went through 11 burners and wasted 75 disks trying to figure out what was wrong with the first one. Some burners are okay for data even if they are crap for cloning but heavy use will even put a good burner off enough to mess up a disk image clone.

Secondly remember not all players are created equal either. The sad thing is I have found cheaper players usually have the least amount of issues with cloned disks. Unless your player specifically says it will play burned dvd's don't expect it to. The same thing can be said of hi-def players and clones.

Real Name
Adam
I always use Verbatim Media as I have always found good luck with them. KInda pricey but to me they are well worth it.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
Just looking over this thread and decided to update with my own experience. I have found TDK discs to be extremely reliable. I use them almost exclusively now for my large church and school project duplication. I go through at least 25-30 discs a week and a couple of times a year, I dupe between 300-500 of our seasonal musical presentations.

Lately, there have been great sales, and you can find the 100-spindles for under $25 online and in stores.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I just thought I'd point out that just because a disc plays right after it was burned doesn't mean it will last. Only the crappiest media fails right away. Wait 5 years and see what happens, Of course, then it's too late.

The best and most reliable seem to always be Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden. I used Ritek for a few years, then started having failures of discs burned about 3 years earlier. I also recently got some TDK, which are pretty highly rated. We'll see how they are 3 years from now. I also think people burn them at too high a speed, which is likely to reduce their life.

Viper

Second Unit
Real Name
Joe Fisk
What's the best +R DL media? I had a 10 pack of Verbatim ones here and 2 of 5 so far have had write errors and ended up coasters without even finishing burning.

jhw59

Auditioning
Real Name
Jay Winton
I thought that TY didn't make a DL. As far as burning DLs, I slow the burn speed down. I've been experimenting with both pay nad freeware burn programs. IMG (free) seems to do a pretty good job

thrca

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jim
I use Nextech NX2 DVD-R from walmart.. about 20 bucks for a 50 spindle. Burned the whole spindle with 0 coasters on an NEC Optiarc AD-7190S drive.

kostikk

Auditioning
Real Name
kotik
Hi
You have done a good question, it’s really interesting. If you get any good reply, so please let me know. So I’ll also get some good idea.
Thanks for your future help.

sgreene123

Auditioning
Real Name
Steve Greene
Strangely, I did not see any references to Taiyo Yuden. (did I miss something?) Having been in the duplication business in the past, this is the "archival quality" discs that the duplicators and replicators recommend. Archival means you can look forward to 50 to 80 years of useable service from your disc. You can do a Google search and find out what branded discs are actually Taiyo Yuden. BTW, Sony, Panasonic, and any other equipment manufacturer, as well as many of the so-called disc manufacturers have their disc products private labeled for them by the real manufacturers. There is a very limited number of true mfgrs of quality discs. Do yourself a favor, save yourself some heartache, and do a little leg work and stay away from the "branded" discs, or at least, find out who is doing the private labeling for whom. Good luck

Kevin T

Screenwriter
Taiyo Yuden are the best DVD-R I have used. I might have mentioned it in this thread before, but it bears repeating. I have not had any burn issues in over 400 discs.

Riteks are good too, but once I got a bad batch of 100, I switched to TY and have been problem free since.

Kevin T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks