What's new

What is the Best DVD-R Blank media (1 Viewer)

Aaron Reynolds

Screenwriter
Real Name
Aaron Reynolds
I have a DMR-E55 and so far I've used about a quarter of that stack of cheap Mitsumis from Future Shop ($40 CDN for 100, they also sell 200 for $70 CDN) and the only one that failed was the one I put a giant fingerprint on before I burned it. Didn't notice until afterwards.

They've been fine for me.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I've just started burning DVD-R's and I've been usuing TDK 8X. I'm hearing that TDK's are not that great, and I have had a couple of discs that freeze up in another player in my home.

I'm a bit in the dark, because what's with the 8x vs. 4x ?
Any help here would be appreciated. I thought it meant that 8X was somehow better, but I'm not so sure.

I would also add that I had a JVC combo burner, and I wasn't wild about it. So I returned it for a SONY RDR-VX500 (which seems better so far).

I'm really confused about these blanks. I'm thinking of abandoning the TDK discs and going with either MAXELL or SONY. I've also heard that the best of all media is TAIYO YUDEN (whatever they are!)

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
If I have a DVD+RW burner in my Dell desktop, does that mean I can't burner DVD+R discs? It ain't working, but I haven't tried another brand of disc.

If so, I can't believe I bought a computer that only burns the most expensive media.

Peace,

DM

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
After a lengthy nightmare of returns and malfunctions with other machines, I settled on a Pioneer RT500 VCR/DVDR. There have been no problems with any media that I have recorded. I have used Maxell, JVC, Imation, Verbatim, and Fuji -R. Most have been 4x. I have also used Maxell, Verbatim, and Fuji -RW. Since buying an Epson R300 printer, I have used Ritek RiData G04 4X,& Ritek G05 8X DVD-R printables almost exclusively. I have also used a few TDK 8X printables. All seem to work well. Initially I believed that there were some problem discs, but have discovered that this was operator error. :b My excuse is, it was a new experience and I the learning curve was steep.

I also have a DVD burner in my PC. I have used several types of + and - media in this. The only discs that I noticed as giving me any difficulty were Imation. Most of the problems were, again, operator error, but some were most likely bad quality media.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
As a follow up to my question on this issue - I've used Ritek (Ridata name on disk) & Taiyo Yuden -R disks from The Tech Geek and neither have given me any problem. I've also used TDKs and Maxell disks I bought at Circuit City with no problems.

So far, I've been thrilled with my Panasonic DMR-E75. All disks I've recorded have played in my recorders with no issues that I can discern.

Thanks for all the input from everyone.

Gary "what a great machine this thing is" O.

David_Blackwell

Screenwriter
I have been recording to Maxwell 4x DVD-Rs using the Emerson EWR20V4 DVD Recorder/VCR combo I bought for very cheap. I am waiting for the upgrade disc so that I can use 8x DVD-R on the machine. Do Sony 4x DVD-Rs work OK on this machine (I have been hearing the machine is picky with some media)?

DustinLC

Supporting Actor
All of a sudden, all you can find are 8x compatible, 1-8x compatible and up to 8x compatible types of DVD-R at Fry's and Best Buys. I have no idea if all those labels mean the same.

I have a panasonic HS2 and E80 and for several years, I've used 1-2x and 1-4x, working great with Sony and TDK.

Then I got this stack of 50 TDK 8x compatible from Best and two discs failed to finish burning at high speed dubbing on the E80. Then the player locks up so I have to unplug and restart it. I don't know why. I assume the 8x label has something to do with it or perhaps trying only two discs don't mean anything?

Does anyone know anything on this or someone who has a Panasonic voice in and verify that you can or can't burn with 8x disc? I'm just scratching my head.

These label of 1-8x, up to 8x and 8x compatible are confusing. I think it just mean the same thing.

RobertEusebius

Auditioning
Gentlemen,

Hopefully I can piggyback on this thread and it will get read. Great thread, helped me a great deal.

I just bought a Pioneer DVD109 DVD burner for my computer. My intent is to rerip much of my CD collection at either 192 or Apple lossless WAV files and make 10 hour DVD's instead of plugging my Ipod into the front of the receiver. We wish to make long music DVD's rather than buy a 5 disk changer. The wife wants to load a DVD and walk away for the evening.

I will shortly be buying a Pioneer Elite 59Dvi universal player, I now have a Pioneer Elite 47TX with Vienna Acoustic Mozarts. Mostly classical music. I may someday also buy a component DVD burner to xfer the 50 or so VHS tapes I have.

My question: Should I buy 16X +R media or 16X -R media for the burner and then to listen to on the 59AVi? I would think 16X -R since both machines are Pioneer. Or does it make no difference?

Thanks!

RaymondSteiner

Stunt Coordinator
I buy TDK's. From the bunch i've tried (SmartBuy, Verbatim, Imation,...) the only one with his id (Using a software identifier in a DVD Drive in a computer) was TDK (Only TDK says it's TDK, the other says *** DAta ***)

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Robert- I have a Pio 59AVi, and I haven't had any problems with -R discs burned on a standalone Panasonic machine.

Matt_Vaudrin

Stunt Coordinator
I started a topic about buying a DVD recorder, and this topic has a lot of good information for me, thanks everyone.

one question I have.

I've been looking at recordable DVd's on Amazon.com and have seen people saying that over time the data on the disk is erased. has anyone here had that problem??

Karl_Luph

Supporting Actor
Just recently bought a new pioneer 220A unit because after reading numerous reviews, it sounded like the newer pioneer units weren't as dependable or user friendly, or even constructed like the older ones. Same thing happened to vcrs. Anyway,when I opened the box,inside was a sheet of paper informing me to only use the slower speed( 2x-4x) dvd-r and dvd-rw discs. These are_ hard to find. Have others had problems using the higher speed rated discs with the pioneer units? Also, I was wanting to see if anyone has tried the Verbatim dvd-r with VideoGard discs? They say on the box up to 8x. I noticed on the back of the Verbatim box there's a warning about "Damage to hardware and media could occur if this disc is used with some 1x/2x/DVD-R drives. For optimal performance check your drive manufacturer's website and apply the latest firmware" Appreciate any help here. Thanks in advance:)

RossHy

Agent
I'm using Maxell 4.7 GB DVD+Rs on my RCA DRC8005N recorder. Everything records fine, but my discs aren't finalizing. Is there something I'm doing wrong? Half of the discs I've been working on--converting VHS tapes to DVD--won't finalize and are therefore worthless in my book.

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member

This post is now almost a year and a half old, but today I had a similar problem -- suddenly, all I can find are 16x discs, which really stinks, as my recorder doesn't seem to want to accept them to record off VHS. Are the older 8x discs going to become a thing of the past? :frowning:

I have burnt over 500 discs of Taiyo Yudens 8x "Valueline" DVD-R disc and only had maybe a couple that were bad. At $24.00/100 with free shipping at supermediastore online, I don't think you will find a better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks