What's new

What is the Best DVD-R Blank media (1 Viewer)

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
I was rather disappointed when Pioneer stopped making/selling discs.

By preference, I use Imation DVD-Rs at work, although we've run a number of TDK and Maxell discs, too.

Leo Kerr

France_G

Auditioning
Never had a problem with the Maxell DVD-R's from FutureShop.

They regularly put the 100 spindle pack on sale for around $49.00.

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
Hey

MAxell DVD-R are fantastic quality, actually rated #1 on the Digital FAQ media guide.

I buy mine from Futureshop however I have never seen them sell for $49 for a 100 pack spindle, the 25 packs are $54.99 regular price and I picked up a few spindles a couple weeks back when they went on sale for $24.99.

Are you SURE you didnt mean $49.99 for a 50pk spindle on sale?

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
To go further into detail about the media guide Matthew referenced in the above post, here's the link.

http://www.digitalfaq.com/media/dvdmedia.htm

One experience I would like to share is that it is not enough just to look at brands. For instance, Verbatim has changed their manufacturer more than once. The first Verbatims I received were coded as MCC (Mitsubishi Chemical) which are generally regarded as one of the 1st class media group. The next batch were labeled identically on the disc and package, but the discs themselves were CMC (CMC magnetics). These are generally considered to be bulk quantity discs or store branded/sales fodder. If you have a DVD drive in your computer, you can use NERO or DVD Decrypter to get the Manufacturer ID off the disc itself. I am currently using the TDK's (TTG01)

Matthew Perry

Stunt Coordinator
They are still way overpriced. The cheapest I have found to date in Canada is from Blankmedia.ca and they are still at $13.00CDN. YIKES!

When I order 100pk Ritek G04 spindles inkjet printable for $61 CDN! :)

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
I never have any problems with Sony DVD-R's in my Panasonic DVD Recorder or my HP DVD Writer 400c. The HP actually a BenQ burner capable of DVD+R/RW, DVD-R/RW, and also dual layer burning, if anyone else has one, I was glad to find this info. TDK DVD+R's only work about 60% of the time.

CompUSA has the Sont DVD-R's on sale this week for a good price, $9.99 for a spindle of 25.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S

At our branch, they were sold out (of only about 48 in stock) within 20 minutes of opening on Sunday and they refused to give rainchecks. Second time this has happened in 3 weeks (previous sale was on the 50 pack). It's beginning to look like a shady business practice to lure customers in, hope they buy something else, and avoid taking the loss for the cheap price on too many units. I wrote an e-mail of complaint the first time it happened, and got back some mumbo-jumbo about only certain states requiring the issuance of rainchecks.

Anyhow. . .

The Ridata 4x DVD-Rs work fine in my Pioneer 420 and Toshiba XS-32 (limited experience on the Toshiba as it's new). TDK 2x are fine on the Pioneer; haven't tried the Toshiba yet. Sony DVD-Rs marked 1x to 8x were very speedy on the Pioneer -- did indeed seem to take half the time of the 4x Ridatas. Have not tried them on the Toshiba yet.

The Sony DVD-RW recorded on the Toshiba played fine on my Panasonic 120 and Philips 727. It wouldn't play on my sister's Sam Sung though (don't know model #).

Feels like I see DVD+R much more readily available instore. Don't know if they stay on the shelf because less people use them, or they are better stocked because more people do! I hope I didn't go with the wrong format a la Beta/VHS!

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the heads up on CompUSA, I better call before I go. I was going to drive out there tomorrow, but it is 50 minutes away, so I will call first. Thanks, and yeah, that does sound shady. The other thing I found strange was I was going to go to Best Buy and have them price match that price. Best Buy had none in stock, either did Staples, Circuit City, or Office Max. I thought maybe they took them off the shelfs until the CompUSA sale was over, I didn't really think they would, but you never know.

I should have said in my previous post, the Sony DVD-R's always play good in my Sony SLV-D350P.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Jeremy, I'm not sure if their computer shows realtime inventory, or if it's only updated at a certain time. You might want to ask them to physically go to the shelf to check what they have. Good luck! It's a great price.

That's very strange that all those other stores didn't have this product on shelf, too!

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator
Thats a good idea, I just figured one place is going to have them, so I didn't even ask. Actually though, last night I went to Staples for something else, and they had 4 of them on the shelf. I picked up 2, figuring they would match the price, they not only matched it, but beat it by 10%. I got 2 for $18.00 with tax. I was thinking of going back for the other 2:D .

Thanks for the info.

Jeremy

SteveK

Supporting Actor
Elizabeth - How's your Toshiba DVD recorder working out? Hopefully this time it wasn't damaged in shipment. I'm certainly still getting a lot of use out of mine.

Hope all is well with you.

Steve K.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
GREAT deal, Jeremy!

Hi Steve,

I was thinking about dropping you a line after I play with it a bit more. This 2nd order was shipped by USPS Priority instead of FedEx, and it luckily arrived in nice condition. I've only had it for one week, and have yet to go through all the features. On first impression, it is WAY more complex than the Pioneer (partly because there are additional features). I'm finding the picture quality very nice!

I'll e-mail you soon. :)

SarahG

Second Unit

2 spindles for $18 is great. I always look out for ads in the paper to see whose got the best deal, but I have also run into problems with stores not stocking the things. Staples seems to normally have what I'm looing for in stock. Have gotten some decent rebate deals from the web site too. I check those offers frequently as well.

Jeremy K

Stunt Coordinator

The Sony DVD-R's that I use are the ones that come in the 25 pack, the number on the pack is 25DMR47LS2. I believe that they also come in a 50 pack, but not sure. They are 1x- 4x speed compatible. I have had one disc not burn out of 60 or more discs, and that one was scratched.

They are actually on sale this week again, this time at Staples:

http://www.staples.com/catalog/brows...68/Default.asp

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
CompUSA has been having great deals on the Sony DVD-Rs -- yesterday's paper had a sale on the 100 spindle (8X) for $39.99 or (4X) 50-pack for $19.99. I've purchased the 25-pack and 50-pack 8X spindles in their recent previous sales and they've worked well for me on my Pioneer and Toshiba (though the Toshiba only does up to 4X).

CompUSA is notorious for running out QUICKLY, so you should probably call first.

Pamela

Supporting Actor

I checked my local CompUSAs and none of them had any left. Found a similar deal at Best Buy—50-pack for $19.99. Of course, they had tons of DVD+Rs and no DVD-Rs. But, the Fuji DVD-Rs were an even better deal—a 25-pack for $8.99. Plus, I had a 10% off coupon. So, I got 100 discs for $32.36! Great deal, and I've had good luck with Fuji.

MikeGee

Second Unit
Futureshop right now has crazy sales on all kinds of blank dvd's...
What would you suggest for running on a Panasonic dvd-s27. I didnt get my dvd-rw yet but i'm looking for the best media so i can backup all my movies as flawlessly as possible.
Also i read up a quick readup on the difference between the plus and minus... one is better than the other... i didnt quite understand it tho.. Which one actually is better? Cause tommorow i'll go buy a pack of 100 and my burner as well.

Doug Brewster

Second Unit
Have recently purchased a GoVideo 3840. Imation -RW's work well in first recording, but do not do well on re-recording. After a second recording, none of my other DVD players could read this media (yes, I finalized it).

LG RW, and Maxell -R have done well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks