What's new

What IS "Sedation Dentistry"? (1 Viewer)

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
No, I'm not interested....I'm appalled.
If you've heard these ads on the radio it's clear they're not just offering sedation, they're promising unconsciousness! Phrases like "after you wake up" and "while you snooze" make this pretty plain.
And they're accomplishing this with a "simple pill".
So, isn't anesthesiology a little more complex than that?
Add the fact that we're talking teeth here ( move your tongue...spit now...) and this does NOT seem like a good method.
Jim

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Especially considering that dentist who was caught trying to have sex with his unconscious patients...
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Add the fact that we're talking teeth here ( move your tongue...spit now...) and this does NOT seem like a good method.
I take it you havent had a root canal
confused.gif

------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
I've had two wisdoms done under local, but I must admit I've never had a root canal. I thought they put you out for that, becuase one slip and, it wouldnt matter if they used local anesthesia or not
eek.gif
eek.gif
but like I said, thats just what I heard.
------------------
My Website: Link Removed
e-mail me: [email protected]
My DVD Profiler
Paradigm Lover

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Two arguments in favour of local anaesthesia dentistry.
First the gentle argument. A lot of the trouble with root canal work is the fear of what's going to happen. Because everyone tells you that the pain is agonising, etc, you tense up and make it fifty times worse for yourself. I have a really good dentist (yes, we do have them in the UK, contrary to popular myth) who patiently explained what he was going to do, why it was necessary, and that in spite of what you think when you're in the chair, the drilling lasts only a few seconds (this is a fascinating psychological phenomenon - the drilling of most teeth seems to take an eternity). If you are empowered with that sort of knowledge, it honestly isn't all that bad.
Second, the rather less sympathetic argument. Having on separate occasions experienced trigeminal neuralgia and an abscess which broke my jaw, trust me, ordinary dentistry is a breeze after that experience. And if you want a really gross dental story, read on [*warning* - is likely to put you off eating]:
A few years ago, I went to the dentist's for a routine checkup, and was asked to wait a while because there was an emergency. A little while later, a rather tearful young woman came out of the surgery looking rather the worse for wear. I went in, and the dentist apologised for the delay, but the previous patient had had an abscess which he'd had to drill out because there was a real danger of blood poisoning (normally you go on antibiotics to see if they will clear it before attempting to work on the tooth). 'One of the worst I've ever seen' he said. Anyway, I lay back in the chair and of course had a view of the ceiling. It was a big room and the ceiling was about 12 feet or so high. Plastered across the ceiling was a yellow and red splodge...

Tim Hoover

Screenwriter
My dentist believed in lots of nitrous! I once had a root planing - where they go in and scrape the gunk out from under the tooth - and had a bad trip on that stuff, although it was also kinda cool. I swear that the radio played the exact same song for the entire hour I was in there! Also, I imagined kids running up and down the hallways, and that the amazingly sexy dental tech performing the procedure invited me to a kegger at her place that weekend. I just hope that I didn't say anything, ummm, too interesting to her. I couldn't tell if I was talking to myself or talking out loud while she was bent over me!

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
My dentist believed in lots of nitrous!
I love that stuff. If I was going to be a drug user, that would be my drug of choice. I had it while they extracted my wisdom teeth (all four) and I did NOT want to come down. I heard them turn that stuff off, then try to wake me up, and it was just misery. I wanted to stay there forever.
------------------
-Ryan (http://www.ryanwright.com )
Before you criticize someone, walk a mile in their shoes.
That way, when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Wisdom teeth can be a pain to remove if they're impacted. The dentist or surgeon may have to remove a section of jaw bone to get at them. My brother had his done at a dentist and said it hurt like hell...hence the above post from me.
When I had mine out, I had 7, yes 7, teeth out total. My wisdom teeth came in sideways and rather painfully and screwed up my teeth totally, not to mention my lower wisdom teeth were both impacted. I was needing braces and had too many teeth for them to work properly. I had one extra bicuspid on the top and two bicuspids on the bottom which had to be removed to straighten up my front teeth. The dentist wanted to do it, but told me he couldn't put me out...he was only licensed and to give me gas and novacaine, plus he did not have an operating facility. I have a very high tolerance for pain, but not that high, so I was refered to an oral surgeon. It took this guy less than an hour to knock me out and take out all four wisdom teeth and three bicuspids. The only pain I felt was a small throb later that evening, and I only took pain pills once for it. Ahhhhh...if only my braces were that painless...
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
First of all, there is no pill that will make you (safely) "unconscious" - an interesting term, by the way.
Second, dentists receive some training in anesthesia, but it is limited. Of course, some dentists/oral surgeons are VERY cavalier in what they do in their offices. I know of one oral surgeon that gives little kids what is basically a general anesthetic in his office to do some minor procedures. (not my kids!)
Third, as to whether there is "more to anesthesiology than that", I like to think so! But I once had a heart surgeon tell me that once you could empty a Foley (urine) bag, you were ready to sit for your boards in anesthesia!
Tony

John Johnson

Agent
When I had mine out, I had 7, yes 7, teeth out total. My wisdom teeth came in sideways and rather painfully and screwed up my teeth totally, not to mention my lower wisdom teeth were both impacted.
Reminds me fondly of my 6 wisdom teeth. 4 normal size, and two Tic-Tac size on my jaw. I was WAY unconcious for that. I remember when I was waking up (from the Sodium Pentothal, aka Truth Serum) my dad was asking me all sorts of questions... "... Do you like boys?...Have you ever done drugs?..." I was 16...
P.S. - my answers were No, and Depends on what you call a drug
drool.gif

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
John - I was 24 when I had mine out the summer of '99 and wore braces for two years. I just got them off this past summer. I did like the IV push the surgeon gave me to knock me out. It lasted about an hour and a half, but I wore the effects of it for the rest of the afternoon and most of the evening, IE: couldn't drive, had trouble standing/walking (no balance at all), couldn't structure sentences correctly for a couple hours afterwards, everything was kinda fuzzy.... Basically the afternoon was a 6 hour buzz.
From what I understand about anesthesiology, you have to take into account the patient's age, weight, etc... and give them the proper doseage accordingly.
I had my tonsils out when I was in 6th grade and the anesthesiologist miscalculated and gave me too strong a dose. Instead of being out about a hour, I was out like a light for over two and it took another hour for me to wake up enough to answer questions.
------------------
My DVD Collection Casa del Clint

Tony G

Stunt Coordinator
Saying that the anesthesiologist "miscalculated" the dose is being too harsh on him (or her). Everyone responds to anesthetics differently.
We consider it much better to have someone sleep for a while after surgery (no bonus points for doing calculus post-op!) than to have them be aware DURING surgery!
Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks