What's new

What is "Q" sound? (1 Viewer)

EdNichols

Second Unit
I have read a couple of threads where a certain speaker brand tries to impress the listener by playing a song with "Q" sound. What is this and what songs are recorded that way?

FeisalK

Screenwriter
Ed

http://www.qsound.com/

the 3-D demos were somewhat convincing when I first heard it ;)

I think the result (and basis?) is similar to SRS-Labs virtual surround.

IIRC they also have a plug-in you can use with Windows Media Player similar to the SRS-labs bundled - to give your PC speakers a wider/3D soundstage

The most well known albums mixed(?) with QSound are the Madonna's Immaculate Collection (1990) and Sting's Soul Cages (1991). (http://www.qsound.com/2002/technology/main1.asp)

Scott Lawrence

Stunt Coordinator
Yeah, it's a technology to make 2-channel (stereo) sources sound like like it has more depth (like a 5.1 setup for example). The Immaculate Collection does do a pretty good job of that, and is a wonderful sounding CD. Never heard the Sting one (not a fan). The technology didn't really seem to catch on though.

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Roger Waters' Amused To Death probably demonstrates Q-Sound at its most convincing. The envelopment it provides is more complete and seamless (from the dead-center sweet-spot, that is) across the entire front hemisphere than any 5.1 I've heard, probably since everything eminates from just two speakers...it's all perfectly matched. I imagine it didn't catch on since full surround systems became so cheap and because of the need for the listener to be in the perfect postion in order for the effect to be evident.

JamesDB

Stunt Coordinator
I find it interesting to hear your experiences with Q sound. I personally found it rather muddy and a poor replacement for 5.1 even when one is in the sweet spot. Although I do hear the sound trying to look like it comes from the sides too, but it sounded more like smeared paint from front to back instead of a nice crisp localized point placement. Now I never heard the Roger Waters CD so I don't pass final judgement as it may be a better mix.

J

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks