What's new

What is it with men in minivans and 4-cylinder cars? (1 Viewer)

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I'd have to agree that the Miata IS indeed a sports car. It follows in the old school British tradition of 2 seat, roadsters. Let's not forget that most of America is HP hungry (myself included). The rest of the world isn't into big motors and huge HP numbers the way the US is.

I haven't driven a Miata, but every review I've read has praised it's handling. And I've always assumed it to be a sports car from day one. And I would classify the MR2 Spyder as one as well... they are two, AFFORDABLE sports cars.

Mike D.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
I have a Miata as well as a WRX. The Miata is by no means a super fast car, its much slower than the Subaru. I'd put the Miata in the "sports car" category, but not the WRX. Cars like the Miata aren't about straight-line acceleration and they're certainly not about 1/4 mile times (the most worthless measure of car performance there is IMHO). The WRX is a blast to drive, but so is the Miata. All you need to have fun in the Miata is a twisty road... the tighter it is the more fun you'll have in one.

What the Miata really needs is a turbo... :D

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
Now calling the WRX a sports car is a hell of a stretch. It's a sports sedan, a good one too and a hell of a bang for the buck. But a sports car it aint. Sports cars don't come with four doors and four seats, sorry.
so there goes the M3 the M5, the audi S4, hell the whole S series for that matter, all a bunch of cars that would give many cars that fit your definition for a sports car a serious run on an auto-x course.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
so there goes the M3 sedan the M5, the audi S 4, hell the whole S series for that matter, all a bunch of cars that would give many cars that fit your definition for a sports car a serious run on an auto-x course.
And your point is? Just because a car isn't a "sports car" doesn't mean that it can't perform well. Hell, the Audi RS6 Avant can give just about any car on the road a run for its money, but it's a wagon not a sports car.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
so there goes the M3 the M5, the audi S4, hell the whole S series for that matter, all a bunch of cars that would give many cars that fit your definition for a sports car a serious run on an auto-x course.
Bingo.

That's also exaclty why these cars are so popular. They combine looks, practicality, room, and comfort along with performance that matches many real "sports cars". Sports car performance in a package that looks nothing like a real sports car.

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
All of those cars are classified as grand tourers.

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
When I'm not out cycling, I have an MKIII MR2 Spyder, love the little guy, handles very good stock, although of course being a convertible (with an available hardtop) it lacks the torsional rigidity of a non-conv. But I wouldn't trade that for the sheer fun it is just to scoot around like a gokart. The MKII MR2s are the ones that are super fast with the later turbos.

I like the newer Miatas too, but I chose the MR2 because there are limited to 5000 imports, are mid-engined, and have an available sequential tranny to sit in traffic with. The Miatas have far more aftermarket options for upgrading because of the larger demographics.

Jay

'02 Greeb/Tan MR2 Spyder SMT

Mike__D

Supporting Actor
I thought I did a decent job of classifying sports cars, performance cars and sports sedans. I guess some people just jump to the end of the thread and post before reading... oh well. ;)

Mike D.

CharlesD

Screenwriter
Because ,for me, "performance" does mean more than just speed. As an extreme example the plane I flew on yesterday had a great 1/4 mile time during takeoff but wouldn't be much fun to drive! :D

I've driven cars that could do a 1/4 mile very fast but other than the acceleration are not much fun to drive because they do not give the driver the opportunity to really test his skill. Thats why I'd include the Miata in the "sports car" category and would prefer over some cars that might be much faster in a straight line.

In short straightline acceleration is not a good indicator of what I consider a great car even though I love fast cars. Therefore, to me, its a pretty meaningless measure.

E

Eric Kahn

You have to look back to the late 50s/early 60s to understand why the 1/4 mile is the main indicator in the US for car performance and handling is secondary

the majority of roads in that era went in straight lines, they were mostly set up on the grid system so the cars in the US evolved into floating luxo barges with big engines to move them, since the main form of driving was go straight and fast for awhile then slow down for a 90 degree corner, then go straight and fast again
in the cities and towns, it was race from stoplight to stoplight
when the roads were built back then, they tended to go as straight as possible, knocking down anything in the way unless it just cost to much to knock down

In europe, roads were narrow and windy and tended to follow old trails that existed forever and cars were seen as the toys of rich people for along time after they were seen as mass transportation in the US, the cars evolved to be able to handle the winding roads of europe and the races that were held on those roads

Racing in the US was, and still is, predominatly Go fast, turn left, go fast again, although now with ground effects and fat tires, its Gofast and turn left without slowing down
Living in a city, the only form of racing most peopleever participate in is the traditional stoplight drag race where the object is to get infront of the guy beside you before the next light, because he drives to slow and it will take you 15 seconds longer to get somewhere if you are stuck behind him

Of course, if you own diesel vehicles like me, you haven't a chance of beating anything more powerful than an old yugo (or another older diesel) out of that light, so you ignore everyone sitting next to you:laugh:

that does not stop me from missing my 84 corvette, go fast and great handling at the expence of having the most brutal riding passenger car of all time, it was so bad that they softened the spring rate for 85 by 25%

Ian C

Stunt Coordinator
Heh...interesting thread. I'll tell you what pisses me off more than anything on the road. Getting stuck in the fast lane behind a sports car. When some schmuck slaps down $40 large for a Corvette, he should damn well drive fast in the fast lane.

Ian C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks