What's new

What is an AVSTREAM driver and why can't I find one? (1 Viewer)

Jorabi

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Mirabile
I installed a VBox DTA-100 PCI tuner card in a Windows 7-32 bit pc. Windows recognizes it and installs a "VBox DTA-101 Receiver, BDA Capture Driver" by itself -- the driver must be coming from Microsoft's driver repository (note model number does not match card exactly).

But it also introduces an "Unknown Device" in Device Manager with the hardware ID AVStreamBda1536d#PCI#VEN_11D1&DEV_01F9&SUBSYS_A10114F3&REV_03, which (starting with "PCI") is the same hardware ID as the main card driver.

VBox (www.vboxcomm.com) will not respond to emails at all. DekTec.com offers a driver package for their version of the card for Windows 7, but installing it does not change anything in Device Manager. DekTec tells me they do not support VBox products.

I am wondering what driver it is looking for and where I can get it. Media Center reports "No Tuners Present" because of the missing driver.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
AVStream is for the video decoder. However, it doesn't matter because Vista/Windows7 will never support this card as it doesn't match compliance and there will never be a driver written for it. (this is a DVB card, correct). The card that replaced it, the 150, will also not be supported in mediacenter, which was pointed out in 2006

http://65.55.13.242/forums/p/33204/137806.aspx#137806

I'd be very wary, and pretty much in disbelief if anything DekTec offers is currently using the same hardware processor. Because you can pretty much bet it isn't. BDA (which is audio-capture) is pretty universal so MS will pick that up on anything.
My advice: If you're capturing ATSC (in the US) go grab an ATSC card cheaply (hell, you can get a dual tuner HD650 for $50) or if you're needing a reliable DVB card then you might look at Hauppauge, etc.

My general advice on media center tuners is always go with something you can find a lot of people using, otherwise you are asking for trouble.

Jorabi

Auditioning
Real Name
Joe Mirabile
Thanks for the reply. It's strange though that Windows 7 knows about the name of the card and has an INF file for the specific hardware ID, no? The driver MS installed is signed and is from VBox. Why would they do all this if it is not going to work under 7?

I have many of these cards -- that's why I was trying to get them to work. I also have a Hauppauge dual HD tuner card but wanted to add more tuners and more PCs since I have all these cards. If a little extra work is involved I would not mind, as long as they are stable once running.

I am working on an 'in' at VBox. Might be able to squeeze some more info out of them.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Originally Posted by Jorabi

Thanks for the reply. It's strange though that Windows 7 knows about the name of the card and has an INF file for the specific hardware ID, no? The driver MS installed is signed and is from VBox. Why would they do all this if it is not going to work under 7?

I have many of these cards -- that's why I was trying to get them to work. I also have a Hauppauge dual HD tuner card but wanted to add more tuners and more PCs since I have all these cards. If a little extra work is involved I would not mind, as long as they are stable once running.

I am working on an 'in' at VBox. Might be able to squeeze some more info out of them.
Actually, it's not strange at all. Every device carries it's PCI ID, whether it's PC, Mac, Linux or whatever, it can always be identified by that. The BDA, or Audio driver, is the same across their entire platform. So, if Microsoft has one driver for just one Vbox card as a whole, it would qualify across their entire spectrum for audio decoder.
The Hauppauge would get you dual ATSC or QAM, which is good, but your VBOX looks to be DVB. These are two drastically different types. Even if you make your DVB card work, it would not work within media center at the same time as the Hauppage. You would need to use one or the other because of the different signal type they are designed for.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks