What's new

What is "About Blank" (1 Viewer)

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Sure could use some help here. Everytime I go into internet explorer now, to surf the web,my homepage is "about blank". Well, thats what the adress bar reads anyways. I cannot access e-mail from yahoo or hotmail. As soon as the password is typed in and "go to" is pressed, it goes back to that homepage "about blank". I can't seem to get any other homepage to work as a default either. Is this damn thing a virus. All this spyware stuff pops up when the homepage is first accessed. I have norton anti-virus installed. I need a new homepage.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Get a product like Ad-Aware (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/) and do a scan.

about:blank is just a setting for "no" in order to make sure IE doesn't load up a webpage on start. You can of course, set a new homepage under tools/internet options :)

But, I'd scan for spyware as soon as you can if you're getting popups and other crap.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Another good one to have is AboutBuster, especially for VX2 spyware problems.

http://www.malwarebytes.biz/

This tool is unbelievably useful, and works far quicker then Ad-Aware, SpyBot, etc. at solving this problem.. it doesn't solve any other spyware problem, but if you get the res://(some random name).dll/ type problem, then this fixes it right away.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I'll try your suggestions. DaveF, Your first link was right on the money. Now to find someone who can fix it. My computer skills are rather limited:b

Wes T

Stunt Coordinator
I hate to say it, but after working on my bro in-law's computer for hours we finally had to give up and re-format it to get rid of this problem. There is a ton of stuff out there on this problem and everyone says that they fixed it. Sometimes it does for a while but it will keep coming back. It will also suck your PC's resources dry. It will get slower and slower the longer you go. If your skills are limited, do a restore or reformat your PC. It is the only way to get rid of this problem. And for God's sake stop using Internet Explorer! I like Netscape along with Panicware's Pop-up stopper. IE is only used for windows update and for multimedia sites that don't work with netscape on my machine. Good luck. -Wes

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Well, nothing seemed to work. Actually, I was probably doing something wrong trying to work those programs. And was about to use the restore disc, when the norton antivirus pops up and asks if I want to remove the trojan horse "about blank". I clicked yes. It then pops up and asks if I want to remove the backdoor virus also, C:/windows/ bla bla bla. Damn right! Everything seems to be working so far. However I will be keeping my fingers crossed. Thanks for taking the time to help me out guys.

DelRay

Stunt Coordinator
Well, It came back. I may have to use the quick restore disc. Then install some sort of protection like what Kevin recommended.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks