laugh.gif

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
------------------

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
In general, it's the rendering of a film product into a video format. It is used somewhat loosely around these parts, but most typically it is used in reference to the rendering of a film's image on a consumer home video format such as DVD inclusive of creation of a digital master and compression of said master to the data stream on the disc. In the case of purely digital projects such as Toy Story, it amounts to a transformation of digital data from one format to another, but it usually involves the scanning of film into the video domain.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
quote: the rendering of a film's image on a consumer home video format such as DVD inclusive of creation of a digital master and compression of said master to the data stream on the disc. [/quote] That definition is a little too broad. Technically, the "transfer" is complete when the source program has been brought from its original medium (usually, film) into the video realm (usually hi-def digital video, in the current state of technology), with whatever picture adjustment and color correction may be necessary to obtain the best video representation of the image.
A transfer is done by a telecine colorist, who usually has little or no involvement in subsequent procedures such as compression or DVD authoring.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 28, 2001 at 04:00 PM]

Mitty

Supporting Actor
What's a diorama?
:)
(Sorry, couldn't resist. Yours is a perfectly legit question, but this just popped into my fat head.)

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
Is a transfer a physical object? I always hear about studios "recycling laserdisc transfers" for DVD releases. On what medium are these transfers stored?

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
This is interesting. Could someone provide a more detailed explanation of the whole procedure, or a link where I might find such a description?
I've heard of D1 and D2. What's the difference? What do they stand for? What sort of resolution is this transfer in? I'm interesting in all this stuff.
Thanks for your help.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
quote: definition is a little too broad. [/quote]That's what I meant by saying "in general" and "it is used somewhat loosely around these parts". Example: forum members complain about the "transfer" of The Sound of Music. There could be, theoretically, a near perfect hi-def master of TSoM that has been ruined by poor compression and other video-realm alterations. Reviewers will still call it a bad transfer. Incorrect usage? Probably. Common usage? Definitely.
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA
[Edited last by Ken_McAlinden on August 29, 2001 at 08:31 AM]

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Ken, I noted your qualifiers, but I was trying to answer, as literally as possible, the question that started this thread: "What exactly is a transfer?"
Carl, if you can find someone with a good collection of back issues of Widescreen Review, I recommend a column that ran from 1994-95 called "Inside Telecine". Most of the entries were written by Marc Wielage, a top telecine colorist (I believe he participates occasionally in the Advanced forum). The column predated DVD, and obviously there have been technical advances, but Marc's explanation of the basic process was so clear and effective that it's still worth reading if you can find it. Unfortunately, I don't think any of the older Widescreen articles are available on their website.
M.
[Edited last by Michael Reuben on August 29, 2001 at 09:10 AM]

RAF

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I've just alerted Marc Wielage regarding the existence of this thread so perhaps he'll chime in to answer some questions. Of course, Marc is an extremely busy man so I'm not presuming to speak for him.
We'll see...
------------------
RAF
[Demented Video Dude since 1997]
[Computer Maven since 1956]
["PITA" since 1942]
Link Removed

Tim_P_76

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy J. Parkans
"What exactly is a transfer"
Aha!!! It's a Warner exec in disguise!
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks