What's new

What is a plasma TV's response time? (1 Viewer)

I have been getting conflicting information all over the place regarding this. Can anyone shed some light or provide some authoritative sources??

Thanks.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I presume it depends slightly on the plasma. Why do you ask? They are relatively on the slower side of things.

Robert Hoffman

Stunt Coordinator
I can't find the link, but someone asked the same question on AVS forum the other day. The response is that it's a non-issue with Plasma....less than 1ms.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
They are PWM, so you can't directly identify the response time, sort of like DLP. What I was getting at is that there is a phosphor decay time, so there are temporal hangs that occur.

The reason I asked why you asked is because what prompted this question? What kind of content are you going to be viewing, what will you be doing with the plasma? There's the immediate response time, and there's also the decay time, and they are different with different kinds of displays. Depending on the use of the display, these things may ore may not be significant obstacles.

So, it would be best if you just explained why you're asking this question, so we can give a meaningful response.

For example, you can think of a CRT as having pretty much instantaneous rise time, but there is a significant decay depending on the phosphor type. If you were doing 3d stuff, this is a big problem. If you were doing stuff like gaming, this isn't a problem.

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Plasma should behave similarly to CRT but with the following caveots:

1. continuously addressed: no delay waiting for the scanning electron beam to illuminate the pixel.

2. Because of continuous addressing, can use shorter decay-time phosphors.

Plasma screens are much faster than the best LCD screens.

Leo Kerr

I'm a little fuzzy on this "rise" vs. "decay" time. Is "decay" time only an issue when dealing with a fast moving object on a dark or black backround? Would "decay" time be eliminated with a color change of say green to red because the "rise" time of red is nearly instantaneous?

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be concerned about the plasma for that use. I mean, I suppose if you were a picky gamer or something. Go look at plasmas and see what you think for yourself.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks