What's new

What is a "light-year"? (1 Viewer)

JamesHl

Supporting Actor
So if a distance to another a planet was 460 lightyears away you would only age 1 year going at speed of light
No. It would still take light 460 years to go that far. Your time reference would be 460 years and everyone else's would be 460 times that, assuming the 460 year figure is accurate. I don't understand how that would prove that you can go faster than light, anyway...

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I think Light Speed is considered 186,000 miles per second. So if you travel that fast you are going the speed of light.

I think the fastest one of our crafts has been about....the high teens or low 20's in space right?

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Can we please keep this thread from turning into a gredo shooting first debate and get back to the physics? Is there anyone out there with a good explanation of E=MC^2 and how it relates to traveling(or attempting to travel) at the speed of light?

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
Since it will take million of years to reach the closest galaxy, how much the speed of light that a spacecraft needs to reach it in, say, a week?

Mike Wladyka

Supporting Actor
No. It would still take light 460 years to go that far. Your time reference would be 460 years and everyone else's would be 460 times that, assuming the 460 year figure is accurate. I don't understand how that would prove that you can go faster than light, anyway...
sorry, i said it was half ass and that i wasn't sure but,

since time slows down as C is reached than essentially light can travel farther than 186,000 miles in one hour since an hour is now 460 hours, but this is all from a person's frame of reference not physically faster than 186,000 if clocked with a radar gun...but it would feel (i think i said it before but maybe not) like less since the time changes near C...so you are kind of going faster than light but not really

Hunter P

Screenwriter

Even worse, communication between ships occurs as instantaneous as a long distance call from LA to NY. I don't remember them attaching warp drives to radio signals.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
E=mc^2

Energy is equal to the mass of an object times the speed of light squared.

Essentially it means all energy that is contained (or released) from a piece of matter is equal to the mass of the matter times the square of the speed of light. It is used for nuclear reaction equations as well as may others.

In case it is not intuitive, the energy contained in a fairly small piece of matter is astronomical (pun intended). That's why we can get such a big boom from such a little piece of plutonium.

It really has nothing to do with why we cannot exceed the speed of light, but the understanding behind this equation states what was explained earlier - to accelerate past the speed of light requires infinite energy. (physicists please help out, it's been a long time since PHY300).

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
No, that would be a light ear. As the cliche goes, the devil's in the details. Very important.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Even worse, communication between ships occurs as instantaneous as a long distance call from LA to NY. I don't remember them attaching warp drives to radio signals.
Then you have my personal favorite, when the ship is zipping along at a relatively pedestrian 50,000 MPH and then they "jump to light speed" or "warp factor 6" and the people just stand there or lean back just slightly like you would on a boat that was barely accelerating. Sure they have artificial gravity to keep them on the deck but I'm pretty sure inertia is still a factor and they should really be pinned against the back wall and about 2 inches thick.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
when the ship is zipping along at a relatively pedestrian 50,000 MPH and then they "jump to light speed" or "warp factor 6" and the people just stand there or lean back just slightly like you would on a boat that was barely accelerating. Sure they have artificial gravity to keep them on the deck but I'm pretty sure inertia is still a factor and they should really be pinned against the back wall and about 2 inches thick.
On Star Trek, at any rate, all ships have both a Structural Integrity Field (SIF) to keep the ship from disintegrating when jumping to FTL speeds and an Inertial Damping System that keeps the crew from turning to chunky salsa on the back wall of the bridge.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
I think the first quote was right. The traveler would age 1 year.

If you could convert all your mass to energy, send it 460 light years away and instantly convert back to mass, you would not detect the passage of any time as time does not exist at light speed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks