What's new

What in the world?!! (Metallica/Jane Pauley) (1 Viewer)

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
I turned to Jane Pauley at the end of the show, getting ready for the 5pm news, only to see that Metallica is on Jane Pauley. If anything deserves an almighty "WHAT THE F---!" that has got to be it. Seeing Kirk showing Jane how to hit a cord was like seeing Ozzy show a four year old how to pet a cat. (Sorry I couldn't think of anything better, just that this was very, very, wrong.) I know they got soft with the "Some Kind Of Monster" retrospective, but this is a little overboard.

Big fan of Metallica, seen them live 3 times, would have been 4 but my mom wouldn't let me see them on their Justice tour :). Saw them on the summer tour, and they still rock, Trujillo is great on bass. That said, there was just something very, very wrong about Metallica on Jane Pauley.

Yikes. :thumbsdown:
Doug

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Hehe, I accidentally caught the beginning of the show and saw them walking in, I too was like "WTF??". I had to leave though, too bad, it would have been interesting to see. Reaching out to new demographics? :)

/Mike

Martin Rendall

Screenwriter
You are kinda asking for it when you post something which suggests Metallica has "sold out". Again. :)

Martin.

David Rogers

Supporting Actor
Metallica died the day they ran Jason out of the band. He did everything they ever asked of him, and played the hell out of bass. He's a great guy, a great musician, and they treated him like crap. The band is dead to many former fans now. St. Anger was a crap album.

So they deserve to end up on Jane Pauley.

MikeyWeitz

Supporting Actor
Matellica died when Cliff Burton Passed away. No where near as good as when he was writing with them.

Even ..And Justice for ALL (altho decent) was no where near the 3 (ok 4 if you actually consider No life 'till leather an album release) previous albums.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Dave --

I gotta disagree with you. Rob Trujillo is hard, man. This guy played with Suicidal Tendancies before 'Tallica. Seeing him live, I have to say that he seriously holds his own. He's just as "metal" as Jason, if not more. Seeing him do that spider-walk is insane. The guy is crazy.

Mickey --

There's no doubting Cliff's legacy, but Justice is a masterpiece near Puppets.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Jason was ok, but he was nowhere near Cliff or Rob's standards. The guy was competent.

As for the latest album... overproduced. I only "listen" to the live DVD recording. But having seen them in Milwaukee, Madison, and Green Bay in the past few months, I can attest that they still know how to jam pretty damn hard.

As for the Jane Pauly thing, I guess she was "taking a lesson" from Kirk. Just a stunt, I guess.

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Metallica was on the Jane Pauley show to plug their "Some Kind of Monster" documentary film. The film's directors were on the show too. Apparently the film got a lot of good reviews at all the film festivals.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I have tickets to see these guys in concert next Thursday, this will be my 2nd time seeing them live... First was back in 1996.

Anyway, last album I bought of there's was "S&M". I kind of lost track of them after that...

Can anyone tell me what happened to "Jason" and why he isn't with them anymore???

JonZ

Senior HTF Member

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I've learned to stop putting bands on a pedestal. They'll do what they want to do. If I don't like it, I can stop listening to them, but I'm not going to let my disappointment stir me to persuade others to do the same. I won't feel that they "owe" me anything, I won't put myself in a position that I can feel "let down" by anything they do, I won't accuse them of "selling out", and I won't say the band is "dead" if they lose a member but continue on in a new direction that reflects that absence.

Sheldon C

Second Unit
Good point Wayne, for me it's all about the music. I really don't care about the personalities of the people making the music I love.

Speaking of the music:

Kill em all - 8.5 love the intensity, song writing needs a little work

Ride the Lightning - 9.9 - one of my 3 favorite albums ever

Master of Puppets - 10.0 - all time favorite

Justice - 9.9 - I can't see why more people don't see it as a masterpiece - I probalby listen to this album more than the others. The lyrics are the best the've done.

Black - 8.0 Good, but some filler

Load - 7.5 Bleeding Me and Outlaw Torn are very good songs, lots of filler

Reload - 7.0 Fixxxer and Low Man's Lyric are good as well, more filler

St. Anger - 8.25 - I have to be in the right mood for this one, but when I am I really like it. If the production was good this would be a really good album.

Doug Miller

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug Miller
Sheldon --

If Trujillo had done bass on the album Anger would be really, really good. Overall I like Anger, but as mentioned time and time again, production wise this album suffered.

I can barely listen to Load and Reload (especially Reload).

Oh, and as I mentioned above, count me as one that thinks Justice is a masterpiece. :)

Doug

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks