What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (2 Viewers)

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Well I won't list all the LP's I have been buying lately because that list would be huge but here are my SACD's purchased in May.

Tito Puente "Goza Mi Timbales"

Tsuyoshi Yamamoto Trio "Autumn in Seattle"

Patricia Barber "Companion"

John Lee Hooker "Boogie Chillin"

Lightnin Hopkins "Broken Hearted Blues"

and not SACD's but Toshiba Japanese 24 bit remastered XTC albums - Skylarking and Nonsuch.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Saturday's music shopping binge included:

Raume- Pieces de Clavicine en Concerts from Channel

I've recently discovered French chamber music and it's almost like a "guilty" pleasure for me- completely romantic, melodic, and beautiful. This disc is violin, viola de gamba and harpsichord and it's gorgeous.

Vaughan Williams- A London Symphony

Scott Oliver

Screenwriter
Very good sonics from both the blues albums. I haven't sat in the sweet spot for an extended period of time while listening to either album, but still the recordings seem very clear, pretty no tape hiss and good tonality, overall a whole lot of good blues for the money.
Favorite song thus far is a tune by Lightnin called Bald Headed Woman where he sings about having to leave his woman because she let her head go bald.:)

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
i picked up the hybrid sacd's of nektar's remember the future and journey to the center of the eye today[both have 5.1 too]

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
OK, so they may not be for everyone, but I picked up the new Godsmack "The Other Side" acoustic SACD hybrid two days ago from Best Buy and I am stunned as to how good it sounds. I'm not the biggest Godsmack fan in the world, but for those of you on the fence about this one, pick it up, it sounds amazing!

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I picked up a bunch of Vanguard Classics reissues today as well as the Gergeiv Berlioz Symphonie Fantastique.
I'll listen tonight and let you know how they sound. :)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
All SACDs....

Dave Brubeck - "Time Out" (Sony) on multi-channel hybrid SACD. Purchased in Hong Kong.

Kitaro/Randy Miller - soundtrack to the movie "The Soong Sisters" (Pony Canyon Japan/Forward Music). 1997 soundtrack originally on Pony Canyon Japan label, but lisensed and released by Forward Music of Taiwan in 2004.

Koji Tamaki - Best Harvest (BMG Funhouse - Japan) has "Prohibited for sale in Japan" label (??!!)

Tsai Chin - Folk Songs (Hong Kong EMI) 2004 release from Chinese audiophile favorite.

The Original - A-Mei (Forward Music) reissue of earlier SACD "Best of". Remastered by Philips Wave-Motion Super Audio-CD Production Centre of Hong Kong.

Sarah Brightman - Eden (HK EMI) multi-channel hybrid SACD.

Paula Tsai - self-titled (HK Universal) finishing purchasing the 10 titles released by HK Universal last December.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Danny, how's the Journey g.h. SACD compared to the CD in terms of sound quality. I've kinda tabled purchasing that disc in favor of the more-comprehensive, 2-disc The Essential Journey . . . -p

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Paul,

I have the SBM-remastered version of Journey's Greatest Hits and the SACD is an improvement over the CD. Major improvement? No, but certainly noticeable. Sound quality varies as tracks are taken from different eras and albums. I listened to it using the new $150.00 Sony CE595 SACD/CD changer and Grado SR60 headphones. The SACD does have one extra song, "When You Love A Woman", from the last Journey album with Steve Perry (the track listings on Amazon.com and sa-cd.net are wrong) that wasn't included on the CD. The CD "booklet" is the same fold-out lyrics sheet from the CD though. Highly recommended!

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
Allman Bros. - Eat a Peach

Roxy Music - Avalon

Possible next purchase - the new Junior Brown SACD on Telarc.

BGL

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I am eager to get this after reading the story on Jr. Brown in the current Stereophile.
That was my heads-up as well.

I did listen to s few samples on the Telarc site, and lets just say that Foxy Lady is a bit of a trip. His licks are every bit as massively distorted and over the top as Jimi's, but the vocal take is a bit, shall I say, unique. The visual I get is of the JHE on stage, with Elvis doing a guest vocal.

I have seen Junior on various TV shows (ACL, I guess) and was always blown away by his playing. This will be my first JB recording, but given that its a MC SACD, its a pretty good place to start, methinks.

BGL

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
Hmmm... in the last few months I've been filling in the holes in my Dylan SACD collection - "Street Legal", "Infidels", "Oh Mercy", and just got "Desire". Got 'em all now, except for "Planet Waves".
Also picked up:
Richard & Linda Thompson - "Shoot Out The Lights"
Death Cab For Cutie - "Transatlanticism"
Julia Fordham - "Concrete Love"
and the new Indigo Girls is on the way.
BTW, I ordered all of the above online - heard about 'em all here on HTF, and have never seen any of 'em at the local stores. I've just about given up on that route.
And all are SACDs - I think I've only bought 3 DVD-A's this year (Seal "IV", Steely Dan "Gaucho", and Mike Oldfield "Tubular Bells 2003"). DVD Empire still shows Jackson Browne's "Running On Empty" as coming out next week (I have it on pre-order), but I won't believe it until I have it in my hands. Maybe not even then... ;)
Edit: Received the notice yesterday. "Running On Empty" has been changed to TBA... Am I surprised? No.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks