What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (2 Viewers)

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
My first domestic single-layer Sony SACD....

Weather Report's "Heavy Weather"

and Bob James' "In Hi Fi"

KevinJ

Supporting Actor
my latest hi rez discs are the tommy dvd-a and led zeppelin's how the west was won dvd-a and elton john's goodbye yellowbrick road dvd-a

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I haven't bought a hi-rez disc in ages. I am beginning to think nothing of interest will ever come out again, despite rumors to the contrary.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
I just ordered the new acoustic Godsmack on SACD the other day.

Still on my wish list includes...

Vince Guaraldi - Charlie Brown Christmas

Peter Frampton - Frampton Comes Alive

Elton John - Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Various Artists - Jazz at the Pawnshop

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
I haven't bought a hi-rez disc in ages. I am beginning to think nothing of interest will ever come out again, despite rumors to the contrary.
What about the Gergiev/Shostakovich you mentioned earlier, Larry? :)
Speaking of Gergiev, browsing at Tower this weekend I saw a Verdi "Requiem" DVD-A w/ him, the Kirov Orch. & Chorus, Renee Fleming and Bocelli. Does anyone have this?
I asked about this in I think another thread, got no response: does no one have the Chailly/Royal Concertgebouw Mahler 8th on DVD-A?
Many classical works I've researched and decided which version I wanted to buy on CD are now coming out on hi rez. Buy the CDs inexpensively thru Amazon Marketplace . . . or wait until there is a wider selection to choose from on SACD/DVD-A . . . instead of just buying hi rez now because it's hi rez . . . Hmmm.
Btw, thx RAW for your post #51 WRT to Seal IV DVD-A.
Lee, don't forget to chime in w/ comments on Telarc's Beethoven's 9th SACD por favor. :)
Bought Tommy DVD-A as a gift for a friend this weekend. I will of course be borrowing it. :D
Interesting aside: unless I am missing it, the UMG link has disappeared from the www.universalstudios.com home page. I wonder if this has to do with last week's closing of the NBC/Vivendi Universal Entertainment deal (since UMG is not part of VUE).
-p

John Kotches

Senior HTF Member
Well I finally "scrounged up" a copy of Diana Krall's The Girl in the Other Room. Sonically enjoyable, but I'm still trying to determine how much I like it ;)
CHeers,

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Well I finally "scrounged up" a copy of Diana Krall's The Girl in the Other Room. Sonically enjoyable, but I'm still trying to determine how much I like it
Personally, I love it. Her best since "When I look in your Eyes" IMO.

Great sonics, great vibe.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I do plan on buying the Shostakovich and Genesis' Lamb Lies Down On Broadway (though that may be pushed back because Mike & the Mechanics have a new album coming out). But whatever happened to Surf's Up and In The Court Of The Crimson King? how come Sony hasn't released any "oldies" lately?

cwhite

Second Unit
I just got "Regatta De Blanc" by the Police and it's far better than the standard A&M CD. I have it on vinyl but it's pretty beat up.

I've had "Bob James in Hi Fi" and I wasn't impressed. I guess it boils down to the source tape for that disc, especially the

Creed Taylor produced tracks.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
Lee, I'd call the Bob James one of AF's weaker releases. It just doesn't sound as good or even close to the vinyl releases of days gone by to me. Maybe the master tapes were abused, neglected?

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
Just received the new David Sanborn. Listened to it once. Very good production and pretty good jazz which is a bit on the lite side but very much better than what you hear on "Lite Jazz" FM stations.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
The David Sanborn SACD sounds like a "Buy" for me. I was debating whether to get the Bob James or the David Sanborn SACD the other day.

Still haven't listen to the Bob James disc.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'd take the Sanborn disc over the Bob James in every respect and most especially in sonics. The BJ disc lacks fire...it's a notch or two down from the vinyl I compared it to. It's hard to say that about a Hoffman done disc, but dat's da facts jack, as I hear 'em anyway...

cwhite

Second Unit
The BJ disc lacks fire...it's a notch or two down from the vinyl I compared it to. It's hard to say that about a Hoffman done disc
I agree completely with you, Rachael. Again, I use the Creed Taylor produced tracks as an example. I have "Westchester Lady" on CD and vinyl. The original CTI labeled vinyl is actually pretty bad though the disc itself in great condition.

And the CD sounds better than the vinyl but the SACD vs CD almost indistinguishable. That track, in all the formats, had

a lack of air, almost sounds heavily compressed. I guess that's the sound of the final master tape.

Doug Otte

Supporting Actor
Received this week:

Bartok - Concerto for Orchestra etc. on Hungaroton

Prokofiev - Romeo & Juliet on Telarc (this is the Parvi disc that's gotten so many good reviews)

They're both fantastic. I have to admit, I haven't had much chance to listen on SACD (except about half of the Prokofiev last night). The RB layers are fantastic. The music is wonderful, lovely, exciting, powerful, sweet...

Ordered this week:

Sting - Brand New Day

It's one of my wife's favorite discs on RB & I hope she likes it more on SACD. I ordered it from Deep Discount CD. The status has been "back order" for over a week. Maybe I'll cancel the order & get it from circuitcity.com like I should have done to begin with...

Doug

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Diana Krall - "The Girl In The Other Room"

Carole King - "Tapestry" (single-layer stereo only version)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks