What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
and friendly as well. Something about jazz musicians and their zest for life.
I think it's also because their audience is smaller and more selective, so they're very appreciative. And they understand the work it takes to record and present music.
I'm in NYC- if you need another hand with that stuff, let me know. :D
And yes, the Oscar Petersons are on my list.

Hartwig Hanser

Second Unit
I discovered a small label with very low prices: Brilliant classics. They now have several SACDs out. I just bought Brahms works for choir and Schütz symphony sacrae, both pure DSD recordings, excellent sound and artistic quality, for 9 Euros each at www.zweitausendeins.de (also available at amazon.de or jpc.de)
It is nice to see low budget labels like that or Naxos embrace SACD.

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
I'm real glad to see the praise for Fantasy's sound. I make it a point to buy every single one of their SACD releases, even though a couple have been criticised sonically in the past. The selection is just awesome.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The Who-Tommy and M Oldfield-Tubular Bells, Both DVD-A's. Stinkers? How about "The British Are Coming!" (Silverline, DVD-A). O.K. My fault. Should have known better. Biggest disappointment? "Crash! Bang! Boom!" (WB cartoon effects). Think about it. Done right, this could have been the ultimate test disc. It wasn't so it ain't. Too bad :frowning: .

Robert A. Willis Jr.

Second Unit
First Impressions of Seal IV
Well I listened to Seal IV (m.c. track only) and enjoyed it. I think that the m.c. mix was good without overusing the rear channels. Seal's vocals were mostly in the center channel and (on my system) too loud. I had to dial it down about a db. Seal's voice is in fine shape and the material is good. Unlike many of today's singers, he stays within his range to very good effect. This album is a noticable improvement over his last one.
How does it sound? Sometimes great, sometimes mediocre. I didn't check the credits but it appears that there were too many producers or mixing locations. Overall, however this isn't one of the best produced DVD-A's that I own. Even the best tracks seem a bit flat or possibly overly compressed. Still it is a decent mix and recording that I enjoyed and will continue to enjoy.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Mike Oldfield TB 2003 DVD-A--- Quiet a disaster music wise,this is something Studio Wodoo would do with this material.Thank god I have the original on SACD.
Diana Krall: Love scenes.-------I bought this to replace my DTS CD and to have a stereo version as well.After a brief listen to the stereo,I'm ready to vote it as the worst stereo mix I've heard to date.All the musicians sounded like were lined up behind each other in the middle,there was no widt to the soundstage at all.Interestingly on Krall's "When I look Into Your Eyes" the opposite is true,the MC tracks are all over the place,while the stereo is very pleasing and solid.Al Schmidt should get his **it togheter,you just never know with guy.
Also got Ray Brown's Soular Energy[SACD] what a great album and very good recording[stereo only].
Dave Grusin; 2 for the road[DVD-A] :emoji_thumbsup:
Sinatra:Live at the Sands[DVD-A] I haven't listened to it yet.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Just ordered Sarah Brightman's "Time To Say Goodbye" on SACD, even though I have the CD already.

Still searching for the new Diana Krall SACD locally. I noticed my local Best Buy is not stocking any new SACDs.

Lee Scoggins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Danny,
I'm surprised you had trouble find the Diana Krall...maybe they sold out...my BB had boatloads and day & date. :)
The Sarah Brightman discs look interesting...

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Still searching for the new Diana Krall SACD locally. I noticed my local Best Buy is not stocking any new SACDs.
Yep, same here! I don't think they restocked it since last year.My guess is that not many people buy those or even asks about them. Bummer.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Yep, same here! I don't think they restocked it since last year.My guess is that not many people buy those or even asks about them.
My local BB is usually pretty good about restocking SACD titles. And I am there enough to know what has been sold (kind of paints a bad picture of my pathetic life).

Not many people? I am always the only person standing in front of the hi-rez section at BB.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Same experience here with Best Buy. My local store (Wilkes-Barre, PA) had zero SACD copies of Krall's new disc on release day. I stopped in to check twice during that week and there was still nothing. Yesterday I looked again and they had exactly one copy. Their high res section has shrunken by four or five vertical shelf rows in the last month.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
RAW: I wouldn't think so . . . but I guess that largely depends upon the shipping costs of whatever mail/'Net order co. you (want to) use . . .? Unfortunately there's not yet a significant amount of the hi rez titles I want to buy available via Amazon Marketplace.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Most online retailers charge the same or more than brick and mortar for high-res titles. Add shipping into it and it's not such a good deal. I try to buy locally if possible. I'd be a lot happier if net prices were cheaper or my local stores carried a better selection. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks