What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Here's some stuff on cheaper small Windows 8.1 PCs - http://www.winbeta.org/news/5-best-windows-81-mini-pcs-2015-perfect-students-parents-and-movie-watchers

Here's something where you can take the mini-jack out to a receiver (and go to a source direct setting for good audio) and it does have a toslink out but that may be limited (e.g. 24/96) - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883221023&cm_re=windows_8.1_pc-_-83-221-023-_-Product

It's got HDMI out so I'd assume you can loop it thru the receiver to the TV (or hook it to the TV directly) and what looks like RGB too.

Anyway, those are just a couple of ideas that don't break the bank for those with less symptoms than me :D

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Here's one more - http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Fanless-Desktop-Windows-storage/dp/B00SCBWF52 or with a wireless keyboard - http://www.amazon.com/Quantum-Fanless-Desktop-Windows-storage/dp/B00SCBWF52

I'm a big fan of outboard DACs but realize than many into HT may not want another box sitting around. Probably most of the receivers out there piggy back the DAC with the DSP so they may have some compromises. Here's one brand that people seem to like (I don't own one) that make reasonably price models - http://schiit.com/products/modi-2

In the main system and one back-up system, which are both integrated AV systems, I have preamps with HT Bypass and an outboard amp. What this allows me to do is have the 2-channel music system I want and then when receiver technology changes, one would just buy a new receiver. I just replaced a Marantz SR6003 in the one back-up system with a (factory refurb) Marantz SR5010 with Dolby Atmos and DTS:X. So I have the latest formats and still have two channel sound via the amp and preamp. In the case of this more modest system, I have an Emotiva XPA200 amp and when Sherbourn announced the merger with Emotiva, I grabbed one of their preamps with HT Bypass for $179 shipped (it was $899 retail when they had dealers and then $529 when they went to a direct to consumer model). For now in that system, I have the Oppo 103D with the hard drive attached and when I want to listen to 2-channel music it is just the Oppo's analog outs into the preamp for music playback. If I upgrade a DAC at some point down the road and move to NAS (and move a music server in there from another system) then it would result in an upgrade to music playback for that system.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I burn downloaded HD tracks to DVD-A format and play them with my Oppo BD player. I use a program called HD SOLO AUDIO ULTRA from a company called Cirlinca. It cost about $60. The program isn't very intuitive, but it does work well. You can download it for free and it lets you burn several discs during the trial period. So far I have used it for the Sinatra Capitol albums I have downloaded.

I get the impression that the downloads are not available in multichannel for albums that are released in multichannel on SACD, so I confine my HD downloads to mono or 2-channel sources.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
David_B_K said:
I burn downloaded HD tracks to DVD-A format and play them with my Oppo BD player. I use a program called HD SOLO AUDIO ULTRA from a company called Cirlinca. It cost about $60. The program isn't very intuitive, but it does work well. You can download it for free and it lets you burn several discs during the trial period. So far I have used it for the Sinatra Capitol albums I have downloaded.

I get the impression that the downloads are not available in multichannel for albums that are released in multichannel on SACD, so I confine my HD downloads to mono or 2-channel sources.
Multi-channel DSD downloads are available for certain things - here is one site, FYI - https://justlisten.nativedsd.com/

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Mike Frezon said:
Good news for me this morning. Amazon now says it will have the NKC SACD "in stock" this Saturday, November 21st. So I will get it soon enough...and still get my $17.99 order price.

And it has shipped--for delivery tomorrow! :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

=======================

I am trying to take in as much of the info as possible from the last couple of pages.

I suppose the best way for me to figure out what'll work for me is to download one round of high-rez tracks and figure out how to use them to my advantage.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
My receiver is a Denon X-2000.

Here is what the manual says about playing back files via its USB port.

• This unit can play back the following files.
• WMA (Windows Media Audio)
• MP3 (MPEG-1 Audio Layer-3)
• WAV
• MPEG-4 AAC
• FLAC (Free Lossless Audio Codec)
• JPEG
• ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec)

So, I guess I should stay away from the DSD files? Probably go with FLAC?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Mike Frezon said:

Mike - I have a Denon 1000 in my office. Just using it in stereo at the moment. I moved it from the bonus room to replace a 13 yr. old Sony ES receiver (just giving that to a friend) after I upgraded a spare system with a Marantz SR5010 and then moved the old Marantz SR6003 to the bonus room (which sounds better than the Denon 1000). My neighbor has a 1000 too and I had to help him with it as Denon support didn't know what they were doing. Yes - I've tested it with FLAC up to 24/192 (FLAC) and it works. For the 1000, I found a chart at Crutchfield's site (Denon did not know about the file/folder limitations) that indicates the USB is limited to 500 folders or 5,000 files. The way I'm using it now, I really don't have a need for the USB input. I have it connected to the PC where I also have JRiver (including DSD files) and I have about 10,000 songs on the PC (much more on the music servers). I extract my DSD files on the PC. You can convert DSD files to something that will play on the Denon but unless you have lots of them, I probably wouldn't recommend going through the hassle of getting software and doing it.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Mike Frezon said:

btw - here's Crutchfield's info for the Denon 2000 - http://www.crutchfield.com/S-hOg4mXcgbHp/p_033AVX2000/Denon-AVR-X2000-IN-Command.html

Note under 'USB Port' it has that 500 folder, 5,000 file limitation too.

I also just tested it (the Denon 1000) as it is hardwired to my Network and I was able to play music files from my PC. So if you have it the same way you can do that too (if you don't I guess you can get an Apple Airport Express or some other device usable as a wireless access point).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Phil A said:
For the 1000, I found a chart at Crutchfield's site (Denon did not know about the file/folder limitations) that indicates the USB is limited to 500 folders or 5,000 files. The way I'm using it now, I really don't have a need for the USB input. I have it connected to the PC where I also have JRiver (including DSD files) and I have about 10,000 songs on the PC (much more on the music servers). I extract my DSD files on the PC. You can convert DSD files to something that will play on the Denon but unless you have lots of them, I probably wouldn't recommend going through the hassle of getting software and doing it.

Yeah. they mentiuon the file limitations in the manual of the 2000:

gallery_286742_34_21540.jpg

I didn't really understand it though. It says it is the maximum amount of files/folder that can be displayed by the unit.

I don't see me hooking up a PC to the receiver...because it won't fit my cabinet/space well.

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Mike - that's OK - so as long as both the PC and receiver are on the same network, it will read the music files that it can decode. I actually never tried it until I answered your question. I've also not as yet even tried reading files via the network for one of my Oppo players but it has been on my agenda for a bit. I have a BDP-93 in the bedroom system and that system feeds the outdoor speakers. I stuck a bunch of files on a hard drive attached to the Oppo so I can use the Oppo Media Control App on a cheapo Android tablet to select music from outside. I'll also have to try that with my Marantz SR5010 (just used it to watch Terminator Genisys in Dolby Atmos) and see if I can read music files via the Network (or the Oppo BDP-103D I have in the system which for now has a hard drive attached with music files) as per the manual it can decode DSD. It is kind of weird that the manual says for playback via a PC or NAS "If the image size (pixels) of an album artwork exceeds 500 × 500 (WMA/MP3/WAV/FLAC) or 349 × 349 (MPEG-4 AAC), then music may not be played
back properly." At some point I plan to move to NAS anyway vs. having a couple of music servers (the hard drives on one are a back-up).

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, I might have a laptop available to me that I might be able to dedicate towards music storage. Maybe that's a route for me to follow.

I just realized, based on your last post, that my Blu player...a Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD also has a USB jack in the front. Any advantage to using that over the Denon's USB jack? The manual is here.

Or do you think playing the files from a network device over the network to either of those devices is better? The Pioneer says it won't do FLAC files over the network.

This all just muddles my rather old school brain...
prophet.gif

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Mike Frezon said:
Well, I might have a laptop available to me that I might be able to dedicate towards music storage. Maybe that's a route for me to follow.

I just realized, based on your last post, that my Blu player...a Pioneer Elite BDP-62FD also has a USB jack in the front. Any advantage to using that over the Denon's USB jack? The manual is here.

Or do you think playing the files from a network device over the network to either of those devices is better? The Pioneer says it won't do FLAC files over the network.

This all just muddles my rather old school brain...
prophet.gif
Yes - computer audio can do that to you (at least I personally would argue with myself that I was once sane :blink: ). Much always depends on the DAC and how the DAC chip is implemented, analog output stage, power supplies, etc. I do stuff locally with dedicated music servers as with attached hard drives I don't have to worry about a PC for mixed use and problems with the network. At some point probably in the not too distant future, I will move to NAS, probably Synology. But it's expensive considering the amount of space I'll need (I have 5TB of music and I'd want at least four 4TB hard drives so that two will be the back-up in the event of a crash).

If I were in your shoes and you have something that can be dedicated for music like a laptop, I'd go that route but make sure you have music files backed up on a hard drive (individual hard drives are not expensive).

The problem with all of those interfaces for me is that they generally are very simple and show the folders and then you click on the folders and see the songs in the albums. When you have lots of music (I'm probably a bit under 40,000 files on the music servers), it gets really cumbersome. That's why as noted on some of my earlier posts I like JRiver. JRemote is an App that is available for IOS or Android (and JRIver has a free one called Gizmo for Android) that is not expensive and mirrors what you get on the PC and you select your music from the tablet or phone.

So if you have that dedicated laptop and can take analog or digital out of it to the receiver, below is what the interface will look like. You define where you want to store the album art and it will find much of it for you (classical music is a bit more dicey as there are many versions of the same symphony) and to tag the album art manually you basically just right click and either get it from the internet (it goes there automatically) and if for some reason nothing is found you can get it from a picture file that you can create from any picture you find on the internet.

So I find it so easy to sit there with my iPad Mini in one system, Android Tablet in another or just take out my iPhone and being able to click on album art either sorted by artist or album title (and you can search). JRiver looks like this:

View attachment JRiver2.JPG

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Picked up the 30th Anniversary CD+BD of Legend and just got around to listening to it. These are really well recorded and engineered records, which makes all the difference when listening in hi-res. The separation on the 5.1 mix is tremendous, with nice, tight bass.

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I also just got my notice on Nat's Xmas album SACD shipping from Amazon. Glad I have not played the old redbook version yet this year!

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
In addition to the NKC, I finally found a reasonable price on Miles Davis' Kind Of Blue SA-CD (although it is not the hybrid version--SA-CD only--but it was only $10).

And finally: Counting Crows August and Everything After SA-CD from Analogue Productions. Love "Sullivan Street" and looking forward to sitting down with this one (and the new Don Henley--not high rez though dammit).

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Picked up Neil Young & The Bluenotes : Bluenote Cafe as a 192/24bit download. Sounds amazing. Probably best known for the classic video "This Notes For You", this live recording is basically Crazy Horse as the foundation with a horn section that comes on like a 747. In hirez everything sounds like it should, with Neil right in the center where he should be, holding his own. Some great songs on here too, including an epic TONIGHT'S THE NIGHT that will have you re-evaluate the song. Only nitpick is that it's a collection of live performances from the tour instead of a full concert, and was originally created for vinyl/tape and CD so there are some fades (audience noise only) that take you out of the live experience. Being a download, some more judicious editing could of had this sounding more like a full show. That said, it's a must own for fans of the era. One of my favourite live sets from Young.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
The Clash - The Clash in 96/24bit download. I wasn't expecting much being this is their first album, their most punk and most likely recorded on the cheap. It's great in hires. Drums and bass punch like never before, guitars blend with the vocals right where they should be without getting overwhelmed. Sounds like you're sitting in front of them in the studio, which is what it should be. Vocals are so clear I can actually understand Joe Strummer, mostly... ^_^

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks