What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
The lone vendor in France selling these is mentioned earlier in this very thread:
http://recherche.musique.fnac.com/n258097/Blu-Ray-Audio#bl=HGMUARBO
Use Google Chrome and it will automatically translate from French to English.
Breakfast in America sounds good to my ears, but in all honesty I can't tell that big a difference between the latest deluxe edition CD ripped to Apple Lossless and the blu-ray audio at 24bit/96kHz.
When I listen with headphones, I hear low-level tape noise on the blu-ray. It is like wind picked up by a microphone. This is not as apparent when played through my big rig.
Worth an upgrade? Maybe when they are released in the US.
Cost for one disc shipped DHL express was $44. I've heard that 3 discs shipped cost around $100. For one disc, shipping cost more than the disc.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Yeah. I'll probably wait until they are available in the US.

But it is soooooooo tempting to see new classic rock/pop/jazz available on Blu Audio!

Thanks, Steve.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Apparently, the store in France has an exclusive until September. That's a pretty bone headed way to introduce a new format.I am tempted by a couple of other titles, too.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
I am tempted by a couple of other titles, too.
I am intrigued by (from the list in Paul.S's link):

Songs in the Key of Life - Stevie Wonder

Night Train - Oscar Peterson

Ella and Louis Again - Fitzgerald & Armstrong (Although it would be reasonable to put all their various LPs together on one Blu disc)

Look of Love - Diana Krall (although I already probably have four different versions of this--including an SACD. I really would LOVE a high-rez version of Krall's terrific CD All for You, her Nat King Cole tribute.)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I am interested in Songs in the Key of Life, Layla, and Beethoven's symphonies 5/7 and 9. Although I already have the CD's.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I have really been digging the new hires release of Daft Punk Random Access Memories.I also got the deluxe edition of Wings Over America, which included a hires download of the 3 CDs in the box.You can get both Daft Punk and Wings at HDTracks, although the Wings download loses the bonus 3rd disc.Wings Over America is a marginal improvement over the CD. Random Access Memories sounds awesome, lots of deep, punchy bass and synthesizers, and real guitarists like Nile Rodgers.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I've had a productive few weeks... :biggrin:

photo1.JPG

photo2.JPG

photo3.JPG

photo4.JPG
photo5.JPG

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Cool! I tried playing Grrr! on the downstairs system, and my aging Yamaha receiver kept switching off.I have Aja from Japan, and all the Police SACDs. I forget, is Every Breath You Take The Singles MC or just stereo?

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
You know how most of these discs sound really great. But Aja (even though it is stereo and I really enjoy the MC mixes) sounds unbelievably good. Like...crazy good. What is this SHM business? I think I like it! :biggrin:

The Every Breath You Take is MC. It is probably the best-sounding track on the disc...IMHO.

The Beck - Guero is the only one of these discs that has yet to hit my player. I have only heard amazing things about the MC DVD-A track. The thing is...I know nothing about Beck and his music. :laugh: I'm a little scared to find out. Maybe this weekend.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Both Aja and Gaucho sound great (I have the SHM SACDs of both. I also have a domestic SACD of Gaucho, though I can't say how it compares).Some people say Super High Material is just hype that adds to the price. I'm not convinced of that. If memory serves, the regular Police SACDs are just stereo.I need to venture upstairs and listen to some SACDs!

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Steve Tannehill said:
I need to venture upstairs and listen to some SACDs!
I just got a universal disc player...allowing me to play my SACDs and DVD-As in the same player as my Blus and DVDs. It used to be a hassle for me to changeover the settings in my Denon receiver to use my dedicated SACD and DVD-A player via analog connections.

Now, I've been on a high-rez listening binge! What fun! :biggrin:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Universal players are great! I use mine via analog connections because I don't have HDMI. And I also use the player to stream all my hires downloads to my good stereo.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Curious, my Every Breath You Take - The Classics is a digipak, not a jewel case. And I like the 5.1.I wish my Synchronicity SACD was 5.1.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Bother. I am listening to Synchronicity SACD and it is overloading my aging Denon 5803. A quick google search shows that I need to get into my Denon's setup menu and change a setting, but my remote just died and needs to be recharged. Oh the humanity!

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Oh my, my 5.1 DVD-A collection just increased by 8 discs...I just realized that I have this stuck in with my CD's... granted, they are dual discs (CD on one side, DVD-A on the other) but they should be pristine, as I only ripped the CD sides and put them on the shelf.With this complete studio album collection by the Talking Heads, I just need to pull out Stop Making Sense blu-ray to get the ultimate concert experience.Edit: the 5.1 mixes are extremely aggressive.Also, I found a 16-disc SACD hybrid collection of Bob Dylan on my CD shelves. More hi-res music!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks