What's new

What Hirez Discs Have You Purchased Recently? (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul.S /t/176763/what-hirez-discs-have-you-purchased-recently/2580#post_4008514
@Mike F.: Right on re Elton John. All five of his catalog high rez releases are fine. I still have Peachtree Road on my list of discs to buy. Are you still listening to high rez on the Pio 563A?

It's still kickin'!

I had to upgrade my receiver a couple of years ago and went with a Denon 790 because it had analogue 5.1 inputs. I keep buying SACDs and DVD-As when I see them.

I recently bought this London Symphony Christmas disc after finding it on sale for a few dollars in a local store:

I also stumbled upon this antique for a few bucks:

But probably my best recent purchase--outside of the Elton John disc--was Neil Young's Greatest Hits. The music is well-known and clear as a bell.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Great to hear re the Pioneer player still spinning discs!
Looks like that Classic Christmas is a Silverline title. Does it have true high rez or "just" DTS?
What format is that Neil Young disc? It's neither on SA-CD.net nor the DVD-A Resgistry.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul.S /t/176763/what-hirez-discs-have-you-purchased-recently/2580#post_4008986
Great to hear re the Pioneer player still spinning discs!
Looks like that Classic Christmas is a Silverline title. Does it have true high rez or "just" DTS?
What format is that Neil Young disc? It's neither on SA-CD.net nor the DVD-A Resgistry.

Standard DVD. I'm never sure how to quantify things like a bit-rate, etc. The only things the packaging tells me about is that the DVD contains the videos Harvest moon and Rockin' In the Free World.

Picture Format: NTSC Hi-Def 16:9
Multiple Viewing Angles: 1
Color Mode: Color (that's enlightening, huh?!?)
Region Code: All
Disc Format: DVD-9
Duration 76 Minutes
Language & Audio Content: English
Subtitles: English

HDCD, DVD Video, Dolby Digital, NTSC, Linear PCM

But I can tell you for sure that the DVD audio tracks are outstanding!

The website has links to some more information about the Greatest Hits Collection: http://www.neilyoung.com/archives/gh_technotes_menu.html This includes information on the origtinal recordings and the subsequent transfers to this newest release.

HERE's the information you are looking for on the DVD specs: http://www.neilyoung.com/archives/gh_technotes_dvd.html

About the London Sympony disc: It is a DVD-A. The packaging says the DVD-A track is "six-channel capable." I haven't read too many good things about Silverline.

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for the Neil Young links. What year was that disc released? It's odd to me that Neil, who was/is big on DVD-A and had many of his albums released on that format, chose DVD-V for one of the release versions of that Greatest Hits release. I, too, have heard less-than-positive things about Silverline. Thus my inquiry. :) I've generally avoided their discs. Was surprised to see last night that the Woodland Hills Fry's still has a Super Audio section. Saw the MoFi releases of Foreigner, JT and Pet Sounds for the first time. Although I'm happy to see that MoFi is supporting SACD more, most of their discs appear to be stereo only. I don't know why other than being a label "whore" someone would buy the MoFi Pet Sounds SACD when the DVD-A is still available at very reasonable prices and has more audio content (bonus tracks and a multichannel mix).

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
I'm going for the ultimate hires discs...vinyl. I have a turntable on order, the U-turn Orbit, and have been acquiring new vinyl, including 45RPM 180gm editions by Fleetwood Mac, and 180gm editions by Pink Floyd, Elton John, and ELO. I have the Beatles box set, although that has gotten mixed reviews. The turntable should be delivered in May (it's a Kickstarter project).

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
Steve Tannehill said:
I'm going for the ultimate hires discs...vinyl. I have a turntable on order,.
And I thought I was going for the ultimate hi-rez:D no vinyl and no discs. Just finished with the digitization of most of the hi-rez files (will eventually get the rest of them and whatever lossless CDs I've ripped I may do with better software), have a Meitner MA-1 DSD DAC in house and am waiting for the music server to play the DSD files. For now, I listen to the SACDs to the DAC via an HDMI audio de-embedder converting the files to 24/88.2 in an Oppo universal.

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
Steve Tannehill said:
I'm going for the ultimate hires discs...vinyl. I have a turntable on order, the U-turn Orbit, and have been acquiring new vinyl, including 45RPM 180gm editions by Fleetwood Mac, and 180gm editions by Pink Floyd, Elton John, and ELO. I have the Beatles box set, although that has gotten mixed reviews. The turntable should be delivered in May (it's a Kickstarter project).
Sounds cool, but 'ultimate hires', for a medium that requires this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RIAA_equalization? Sure, I realize people like the sound of vinyl, so do I, from time to time, but hires..? But I guess you already know this, right, ;)

Paul.S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul
Paul.S said:
About to spin the Barenboim / Berliner Staatskapelle Beethoven 4 & 5 DVD-A I just got in the mail today. $5.96 on Amazon Marketplace. (I dig it when bookstores get a hold of some high rez stuff, apparently don't know what it is and thus price it below "market.")
Just got the "Eroica"/3 DVD-A from this Barenboim/Staatskapelle cycle. Slowly but surely getting them all. Think I've decided against completing the Abbado/Berlin Philharmonic set. Between these discs, the Christian Thielemann BDs and the Haitink LSO SA-CDs, I hope to deepen my Beethovenian symphonic appreciation over the next couple of years.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
I just won a copy of the Audio Fidelity gold disc of Cheap Thrills by Big Brother & the Holding Company. It sounds very good.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
This is coming out next week:

Only $16.88 at Amazon. This title was always one of the best sounding DVDs I ever heard.
I discussed the imminent release of this title in another thread somewhere on the forum (although for the life of me I cannot find it)...so I will now discuss it here. I went ahead and pre-ordered it from Amazon without knowing the full specs of the audio. But now Amazon has posted an image of the back cover:

Looking forward to this arriving in a few days!
If anyone knows where I might've discussed this release previously, please let me know...

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Paul.S
Thanks for the Neil Young links. What year was that disc released? It's odd to me that Neil, who was/is big on DVD-A and had many of his albums released on that format, chose DVD-V for one of the release versions of that Greatest Hits release.
Sorry, Paul. Must've missed that question when you asked it. All dates on the discs and paperwork are 2004. I thought it was more recent.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Mike Frezon said:
This is coming out next week: Looking forward to this arriving in a few days!  :tu: If anyone knows where I might've discussed this release previously, please let me know...  :blush:   It's hell to get old.  It's probably wherever I left my car keys and glasses.  :D
I guess I'll have to pick this up as well. It was a great sounding dvd. So was the Hell Freezes Over dvd. And Steely Dan's Two Against nature among others. Anyway, too bad Don Felder wasn't on the Farewell tour but his replacement was pretty good. I think I like the HFO concert better but probably not for the right reasons. I wish Boz Skaggs Greatest Hits LIve would be released on DTS MA BR. About to wear out my second copy of the dvd. Farewell is also available on HD DVD. Shippings only $2.98 :D http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B000J103WK/ref=sr_1_2_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1361837213&sr=8-2&keywords=eagles+farewell+tour+blu+ray&condition=new

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I got my two favourite Door's albums on Analogue Productions' SA-CD, S/T and L.A. Woman. I also got Mofi's Allman Brothers' S/T. I might pick up a few more Doors and I'm definitely interested in Mofi's Eat A Peach when it debuts.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Just had time to sample a few cuts on the Eagles disc tonight and they sounded really, really good.
Just a note that the disc defaults to the 2.0 PCM track. I switched to the DTS HD-MA track. Even my wife, who is not very discerning about such things spent a good deal of Hotel California trying to figure out which of the band members was playing the wood block. Everything was crystal clear.
I still think this is one of the best sounding concert titles I own...if not one of the best sounding disc of any type.
I received with it the new Mumford & Sons disc Road to Red Rocks. Looking forward to giving that one a spin soon.

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I listened to my two, new Doors SA-CD's last evening. They didn't impress me as much as my vintage vinyl of L.A. Woman and The Doors did. I still have my L.A. Woman vinyl filet. I was more impressed with The Allman's S/T. Of course, it was not the original master. I didn't really expect that it would be. I crossed my fingers and hoped but I knew that was a pipe dream. They switched mixes for this album in the late 70's. It used to have a rougher sound. It was really obvious on several tracks. I like the real, original mix. It was so garage sounding. I don't know but I bet that somebody has destroyed the original mix...?

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
In addition to an ever-growing vinyl collection, I have been getting hi-res music from HDtracks, ranging from 24bit/48kHz to 24bit/192kHz. I figured out how to stream the FLAC files from the Mac to the Oppo BDP-93, so I am getting the full benefit of the hi-res sound on the big rig.

I also picked up the new Rush and Yes SACD's and the Elton John HDCD of Rock of the Westies.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks