What's new

What happens to current gen game console when a new one is announced? (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
According to data from the NPD Group, Microsoft only sold 107,000 XBox 360 units during the month of July, taking a big hit from the 140,000 that the company sold the previous month. Compared to earlier this year, Microsoft sold 261,000 consoles in March, 302,000 in February, and 281,000 units at the turn of 2013 in January. However, the XBox 360 still reigns as the best-selling console in the US right now, claiming 31 straight months of being on the top of best-selling list, surpassing the PlayStation 3 and the Nintendo Wii U.

The Xbox 360 is almost eight years old, being first introduced back in November of 2005. The Xbox One was unveiled back in May and was also further detailed at E3 last month. Microsoft will be at Gamescom later this month, as well, to announce even more details on the new console before its release in November.

Carl Johnson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl III
It varies by platform. If I remember correctly Microsoft basically quit selling the original Xbox shortly after the 360 was released but the PlayStation 2 remained popular 2-3 years after the PlayStation 3 was released. Sent from my SPH-M830 using HTF mobile app

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Month to month sales numbers are the worst thing you could use as an indicator of anything. Y o Y maybe but even that has caveats. Successive months deltas mean zero.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They go to Silicon Heaven.

If they don't self terminate, the next generation does it for them.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Edwin-S said:
They go to Silicon Heaven.

If they don't self terminate, the next generation does it for them.
Unless a metaphysical dichotomy occurs and the new unit shuts down.
No..Silicon...Heaven? But where do all the calculators go?

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Chuck Anstey said:
Unless a metaphysical dichotomy occurs and the new unit shuts down.
No..Silicon...Heaven? But where do all the calculators go?
But why didn't it affect you?

Well, sir. I knew I was lying!

It was one of the best episodes of the series, outside of the one where Lister was turned into "man-plus". I really should check out some of the later stuff. I stopped watching it when Rimmer (Chris Barrie) left and was replaced by the Kochanski character. A lot of the group dynamic seemed to get lost when Chris Barrie left.

I ended up watching two episodes of Series X before posting this. The old group is back together. Not quite as good as in its heyday but there was still some good stuff, especially the episode that builds on Lister being his own father.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Carl Johnson said:
It varies by platform. If I remember correctly Microsoft basically quit selling the original Xbox shortly after the 360 was released but the PlayStation 2 remained popular 2-3 years after the PlayStation 3 was released.Sent from my SPH-M830 using HTF mobile app
Right. No one knows exactly how long the current gen systems will stay saleable. My best advice is to buy a unit or two now if you plan on playing the games for years to come, especially since the next gen systems won't be backward compatible. The redesigns of both PS3, and the 360 bug me, it seems with each newer model, the cheaper they are made, but I guess I will get one of each before they are done.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
People don't want to pay PC prices for consoles. A lot of features have to be dropped in order to make consoles fall within the maximum 400 dollar price limit that "gamers" set on them.

Morgan Jolley

Senior HTF Member
To put things in perspective, the 360 has been beating the PS3/Wii for 31 months, but the PS3 has sold more units worldwide than the 360 and the Wii has sold the most of any console in the time its been out. Microsoft's original plan for the first Xbox was to make/ship 30 million units then immediately cease production and move on. That's exactly what they did. Sony, meanwhile, just stopped manufacturing the latest model of the PS2 this year and the last game made for the PS2 (a FFXI expansion) was released this year. That means it was technically alive for 12 years, 7 of them after the PS3 was released.

The PS3 still has some major games coming out and ignoring the install base of any current-gen console would be idiotic. Unfortunately, this is the first gen in a while where backward compatibility isn't assured on Day 1, so the PS4 and XBOne will coexist with the PS3 and 360 as unique consoles. There will be cross-gen games (Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, anything sports) but the platforms are basically unique. Sony has at least 3 or more PS3 games coming out (that are PS3 only) but I think MS has shifted over to XBOne entirely.

Nintendo, like usual, is in their boat. The Wii U plays Wii games, but the only Wii support at this point is...well...a lot of the same Wii support that its had for a couple years: nothing special from Nintendo and a bunch of crappy third party ports or licensed games based on kids shows/movies. However, the fact that the Wii U uses Wii accessories/controllers is significant because the games can remain relevant even if the console doesn't.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Morgan Jolley said:
However, the fact that the Wii U uses Wii accessories/controllers is significant because the games can remain relevant even if the console doesn't.
I still have my Gamecube controllers and a few favorite GC games to play on my Wii, even though I got rid of the actual console years ago.

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
"What happens to current gen game consoles when a new one is announced?"Some go and sulk in a corner. Others go to recycling centers where they are broken down into their two main components: silica and salsa.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
"What happens to current gen game consoles when a new one is announced?"

They tend to collect in my basement. My PS3 will eventually join his PS1 brother and hang out with the Atari 2600 woodgrain, 2600 remodel, Intellivsion, Vic 20, Pong and a couple of Apple II+'s.:P

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks