What's new

What happened to DVDFile??? (2 Viewers)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I sure do miss it. It used to be my first stop for reviews and news. Sadly, I can't say that any more.

Rob T

Screenwriter
DVDfile used to be pretty good for news, but oh well.
Digital Bits, IGN and this place are still very good. :)

Sean Moon

Senior HTF Member
I remember for the longest time, the first thing I did when I woke up in the morning was go to DVDfile for my news, since they were the only site that was updated by morning. Now, I dont have any sites to look forward too in my mornings. :frowning:

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
It's unfortunate. I've followed them for years, and sent a message of encouragement to Pete some time ago - no reply. Well, along with DVD Resource, DVD Reel, and a few others...I think I'll have a beer for nostalgia's sake. Sad to see them go.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Sure - no one's criticizing him for taking off time from the site. However, it was cheesy for him to leave everyone in the lurch. If our site's down for even a day or two, I make sure we put up a notice that lets people know why. This is especially important to make sure people don't abandon you - the way he left things, it was easy for folks to assume the site's dead. That makes it more difficult to come back - I'm sure DVD File's lost TONS of readers because they just figured the site's a corpse and they either don't follow threads like this or come back to check after so little activity for so long.

It's just common courtesy as well...

Chris Tedesco

Second Unit
Real Name
Chris
Wow, it is sad to see DVDfile go. Like others on this site, DVDFile was a primary source of information, well besides here.

It was the first site I found that talked about DVD's. I really hope it comes back to life!

Fredrik L

Agent
Anothe update as of this monday 2005-10-01:

DVDfile founder and creator Peter Bracke has decided to leave the site to pursue other opportunities. As a film school graduate, Peter loves the motion picture as an art form. The wonderful presentations of film in the home made possible by DVD inspired the creation of this site in 1997 and its success and longevity must be credited to Peter’s persistence and dedication. He’s an unflagging supporter of DVD and of home theater. He shall be sorely missed.

DVDfile shall carry on. We will strive to serve you with the features you covet, and we hope to continue to bring you our unbiased and frank opinions about our favorite little disc and the means to enjoy them. And we’re looking forward to bringing you news and reviews of the high definition DVD formats expected to have been introduced by this time next year. (And the format battle to come.) So 2005 marks both a poignant change that we hadn’t expected and other changes that we anticipate with great glee.

In the spirit of a new beginning, we’re planning to give you the opportunity to provide us with some feedback. We want to know what site features are most important to you so we can better concentrate our efforts. So we are preparing a very short web questionnaire that should help us serve you better. I’ll let you know when it’s available and as soon as it is, please spend a few moments filling it out and submitting it. In addition, if you have any suggestions or comments you’d like to offer, we’ll also have a new comment feedback page for you.

It may be a bumpy ride, but we hope you’ll join us.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I don't wish to trash DVDFILE.

Under Bracke's care, it was the leading
DVD News+Reviews website that most all of
us visited on a daily basis.

You can see just how much of Peter Bracke
was put into that site. Since he has been
gone the site has lost its flair.

I no longer visit it.

It is my hope that the site is taken over
by someone who has as much passion for the
format as Bracke showed during his reign.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Back when DVDFile was still actively turning out reviews, articles, software news, and basically anything dedicated to DVD - it was my one stop DVD site. They were really the perfect site, as I felt I could rely on them for all my DVD needs.

Unfortunately I guess every good thing must come to an end. I am so glad to be a member here at the HTF, you all really fill me in on everything I need to know. I'd say that the HTF, and TV Shows on DVD are really the only sites I visit, or need to visit to stay in the loop.

Andy

Ian Currie

Stunt Coordinator
I normally visit DVDFile every day... and while it was often in vain throughout the last quarter of 2004, it seems to be fairly regular again - at least in terms of reviews, which is the real attraction for me.

If DVDFile ever had "news", it was lost on me - I never noticed them on their site - only the reviews.

While Peter's reviews will be missed (as I miss Ron's), I continue to look forward to those by Dan Ramer et al. Aside from the wonderful David Boulet here, they remain my favorite reviewers.

Matt Butler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Matt Butler
Im going to agree with Ron and Andrew Budgell.

I loved dvdfile and Peter in its heyday but all good things... Ill check it once ina while to give Dan a chance but it wont be the same.

Im going to stick with Bill and co at digitalbits.com and of course HTF and tvshowsondvd.com for news and reviews. Ive also recently been checking out Colins dvdmg.com quite a bit and its a very good site. :emoji_thumbsup:

Nick Graham

Screenwriter
Godspeed, Peter. When DVD was a newborn, DVDFile was THE requisite online source for keeping up with the industry. For many years I'd check it twice a day. I don't mean this as an knock on any other DVD site, but every DVD site there is, from the greats down to the bottom of the barrel, from the still going to the long dead, is essentially a cheap DVD File knockoff. That site truly paved the way for every DVD news and reviews site that has followed since.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks