What's new

What happened to DVDFile??? (1 Viewer)

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
While we're talking about the demise of DVD Websites, does anyone know why or how DVDShrine went the way of the dodo?

I remember reading that site daily and I even printed out their ABC's of DVD from a long time ago.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Has anyone just simply asked Peter if he has oficially left? I use to have a home e-mail address for him but he also works hand-in-hand with others on the board. Has anyone asked them straight-up?

I know that at one point InterVocative took over the site officially years ago and kept the old crew on but maybe there are changes coming down the pike?

Eric

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I noticed there is an editorial on there by Pete about his new book.

One question I want answered before buying the book (which he didn't answer in the editorial) is:

Is he back or is he leaving?

I feel buying the book is a way of helping the site, no need to buy it if he is going to bail.

Politicians could learn something from these guys ;)

I used to work on that website a long time ago. While I wasn't there when it went down, I believe the owner simply lost interest and didn't want to be bothered with it anymore.

MarkHarrison

Supporting Actor

Actually I think it's InterActual that took over the website. InterVocative are the guys who make DVDProfiler.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Nate-dogg hit it right on the head, there was a conflict of interest between the reviewers and the owner, to the point where he went through and deleted the audio and video sections of the reviews because he didn't think they were important. All the screeners went through him, and one day they just stopped coming and, even though we offered to buy the site off of him, he just decided to let it die. Sad, but that's the way it happens.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Well "rumors of [his] death" may "have been greatly exaggerated", but as far as I'm concerned, not rumors of the site's death.

I've had it. One update in a month's time to add a handful of reviews. No new news. And not so much as a single fricking line to explain what the hell is going on. I'm through with the site, I'm crossing it off my list.

And as for Peter. Well, I used to love his site, and frankly I had planned on picking up his book. But if he can go to the trouble of getting to dvdfile to change the heading to "Rumors of my death have been greatly exaggerated...", but can't be bothered to update his last editorial from "Buy my book" to "Sorry for the confusion, here's what's going on", then to hell with him and his book. He obviously knows about our questions and has access to the site, but thinks it's funny to put in a little joke, but won't let loyal long-time readers in on what's going on. He expects long time site visitors to be loyal and go buy his book, but he can't be loyal enough to them to put up a two-line explanation?!?

Not smart marketing Peter. Taking a page out of Barry Bond's attitude book? :thumbsdown:

JayDerek

Stunt Coordinator
George>

I completely agree. DVDFile used to be one of the sites I visited religiously...not anymore. It's off my bookmarks.

There's no excuse for not putting a couple sentences on the front page letting people know what's going on..

~Jason

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
The growing questions about the DVDFile site don't begin on September 3, when Peter vanished from the site. As I stated in my first post on page 1: Why would a site have nonfunctioning contact addresses (months?):confused: before Peter left? Leaving no way to contact the editor or anyone else there.:rolleyes

Paul

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
Are there any other DVD File like sites out there? Sites with daily release news? Updated regularly?

I like Digital Bits. Great site. But they don't have as many announcements and can sometimes go a few days without any new info.

Also found Davis DVD which is good, but sometimes goes a few days between announcements.

TVShowsondvd seems to be the best out there, but that is just TV releases.

DVD File was the best, could always count on new announcements every day, but not anymore.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
DVDAnswers seems pretty tight. I'll probably move them into my bookmarks instead of DVDFile. Tom Woodward of DVDAnswers has provided some timely announcements here on HTF, sometimes ahead of DVDFile back when it was still updating every day.

Jonathan_Clarke

Second Unit
I used to like dvdjournal but they suddenly dropped to two updates a week and the reporting got really shallow. Still their reviews have the most film criticism which I like.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
I've been reading dvdfile since Pete ran it as an outlaw site from the USC computer lab. His reviews of horror films were the best. If he takes a break he'll be missed.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
An update:

where’s peter?

Many readers have been asking about Peter Bracke (site editor since 1997), and what’s up with the site. Here’s the news…

Peter will return in October, and the site will return to a normal update schedule then. The DVDFILE team is looking forward to Peter’s return.

While Peter’s been out on holiday, a few staffers have picked up editing and publishing duties. We’ll be the first to admit we can’t keep up the same pace that Peter did! Hurry back Pete!

Simultaneously we’ve been planning a new publishing model for the site. Today all the pages are manually submitted, edited, and published to our server farm. In the future, we want to move to a database driven model requiring less manual page editing/publishing.

Along with database-driven content pages, we’re in process of implementing new page designs by Peter. We think you’ll like the layouts we’re working with, and hope it makes your future visits to the site that much more enjoyable.

If you’re a DVDFILE Newsletter subscriber, we hope to give you a sneak peek at our new design in October. If you’re not already a subscriber, sign up here.

Thanks for your ongoing support.

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
This is very welcome news!:) I really miss this site.

I'm sending an email again today to see if I can get some of the links on your site fixed. Hope this doesn't come back "Not Deliverable" as the last three e-mails I sent in the last couple of months.:frowning: Some of the links, like the one to your forum, when I use Explorer or Netscape, give me the message "Sorry. The administrator has banned your IP address. To contact the administrator click here"):confused:

But today, after reading your post, I tried the links using my AOL browser, that I never use, and go figure, they worked. Explorer and Netscape still don’t.

Anyway, glad to hear Peter is coming back.

Paul

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks