What's new

What guage Power Cable you running? (1 Viewer)

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
In my old car stereo I first had one 4-channel amp using an 8g amp kit. Later I added a 10" sub and simply another 8g cable isntead of a single 4g. Just found it easier this way and research told me it would work fine, as it did.

I'm gonna be buying a used 240sx or Maxima in the coming weeks and I was wondering what size cable to start off with. I want to go much further quality-wise this time using Focal components, RF amps, 2 12"ers, and an Alpine HU with at least 3 4-volt preouts. Will 4AWG be enough or should I go bigger?

Diallo B

Screenwriter
I would go with the 4 gauge. You could go 2 or higher but at that point you are asking for install trouble when trying to run that cable through certain points of the car and under the carpet and such.

Run a line of 4g from the battery to wherever you amps are going to be and put the 4 gauge into a 2 or 4 point distribution block. Then if you want to expand again you simply have to run a line from the distribution block versus running a whole separate line. Make sure that the distribution block is capable of holding 4g cable though.

djb

Leif Wall

Second Unit
I run 0ga. from my battery to a distrubution block. From there it splits into 2 4ga. to my two amps.

Jeff_Krueger

Stunt Coordinator
I have 4awg, split off into a distro block with 8awg to 2 amps. Though what I have is sufficient, I wish I had run 0awg just for the potential of upgrades.

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
How thick/big around is high strand count 0-gauge cable?

Curious

Leif Wall

Second Unit
Geoff - I'm not exactly sure on a strand count. Could probably find the info online somewhere. My friends usually refer to it as a garden hose if that gives you an idea. :D

Roger Dressler

Stunt Coordinator
I just ran a 4-ga ultraflexible link in my '91 Maxima to the trunk. There is splits to 2 of the 4-chx60w Sony amps and a 200W sub. Seems perfectly adequate.

Scott L

Senior HTF Member
I finally ordered my parts online and did some more research. I'm going with an 8g for the 4-channel amp, and a seperate 4g for the sub amp (it'll be powering two 12's).

Ryan_C

Second Unit
I've got 1/0 gauge running to a distribution block, then 4 gauge running to my two amps. And the phoenix gold 1/0 I have is about the size of a quarter.:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks