What's new

What got you started in home theater? (1 Viewer)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Never tried anything like that with the Alex North score. But, as I said, we enjoyed the print (and remember, we were not technically allowed to own the thing; MGM had the right to confiscate the print all along -- and we, um, bought the thing from somebody we knew at MGM).

As it is, however, I have enjoyed the current Warner DVD of The Film even more than the old 16mm 'scope print. But it was a blast back in the 1970s to be able to tell people that I was part-owner of a super-clean, Cinemascope print of 2001: A Space Odyssey. As with you, it is my favorite film.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
In the early 90's, my father bought a big screen TV (50 some inches, huge at the time) and a LaserDisc player. He had a Dobly Pro Logic system set up.

I was hooked.........

Dave Jessup

Stunt Coordinator
For me it started with the public library.

They had 8mm & Super 8mm for loan - silent only - so I got to see a batch of classic stuff. Went with comedies, mostly; Keystones, Laurel and Hardy, even Intolerance (in a shoebox, 16 5-inch (10-minute) reels; I burned out a couple bulbs viewing that one).

Played with open-reel 1/2-inch helical-scan video in high school; still have some stuff from that time (off-air Star Treks, student projects).

Went with Beta in 1983; knew it was better quality than VHS and was convinced it would win the format war.

Right.

Even went with SuperBeta HiFi, a Sony unit with its own amp & speakers. Quite a delight to watch/hear ST3 with directional effects... even though the picture was a 16-inch black and white image!

Alongside that, acquired a 16mm projector & various films, most now gone but some still retained as favorites or for my other (big bands/jazz music) interest.

Current setup is modest but satisfies me; Beta, VHS, DVD, and the 16mm for special occasions. But it all started with a Kodak 8/Super 8 from the local library.

Stephen Orr

Screenwriter
I started by hooking up car speakers to a Super-8mm sound projector! No lie. Sometime around 1977/1978, when I was in high school! Used to have a short version of Logan's Run that I bought from a mail order place.

StephenA

Screenwriter
My stepfather is how I got into home theater. Growing up he always had to have the best gadgets and some of the biggest TVs. He also bought some of the best laserdisc players and VCRs. He even had speakers in the living room ceiling at one point. The 72 inch Mitsubishi projection TV he bought before he and my mom got divorced is still in the living room, though it's around 10 years old now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks