1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

3D What ever happened to "The Last Emperor 3D"

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by SFMike, Aug 12, 2014.

1. SFMike

SFMike Second Unit

Michael
    What ever happened to "The Last Emperor" 3D conversion. The last I heard it was shown at the Festival de Cannes 2014. Any hope of getting a bluray 3D release of this classic or is the home 3D parade coming to an end.

2. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    What was the aspect ratio of the 3D edition. ?

3. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    Has anyone here purchased and viewed this?

4. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    Amazon can be wrong with aspect ratio but if it's really 1.78:1 then that's a lot of cropping going on, i dislike the 2:1 aspect ratio of the Storaro approved version currently out there, i disapprove even more of a 1.78:1 version, it doesn't matter if it's 3D, it should be original aspect ratio.

I felt that way about Titanic too because in that instance it's a conversion and i feel some effects shots are compromised as they were done at 2:1 and we lose info at the sides, i have no problem with Avatar or movies specifically shot where they composed with 1.78:1 in mind.

5. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    The 3D version has more picture info on the sides so it must be 2.35.

FoxyMulder likes this.
  6. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    So Amazon is wrong with the stated information, why am i not surprised by that. :lol:

When you take into account that the image will be darker when viewed via the glasses it looks respectable, some film grain is present, detail levels look good, it's probably the usual 2.5D but it doesn't look too bad.

7. Dick

Dick Producer

Rick
    I assume you own this, then, and have watched it through. How is the depth (as I am sure no pop-out is present, nor should there be)? Does it look like several planes of flat figures, or is there an illusion of roundness?

8. FoxyMulder

FoxyMulder 映画ファン

Malcolm
    No i don't own it, i'm going via the screencaps provided in Roland's link, i would not buy this title in 3D, it was shot 2D and that's how i want to view it, same goes for Titanic which i do own, i will only watch the 2D edition and the 3D edition remains in it's case.