What's new

What ever happened to former Detroit Lions running back Barry Sanders? (1 Viewer)

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
The idea that Barry Sanders will be kept out of the Hall of Fame simply because he retired early strikes me as ludicrous. Those of you claiming this seem to forget that Jim Brown ALSO retired in his prime. Do you see HIM absent from the Hall?

Andrew_Sch

Senior HTF Member
I got a chance to see him play, although he didn't get to do much, since he was playing against the Ravens when we still had a really kick-ass D.:D
Yes, but Earl Campbell finished his career.
Yeah, and he now can't walk without a limp and considerable pain, unfortunately. Barry is a sure first ballot HoF, no question about it.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
An old friend used to coach kids' basketball at a YMCA here in Oklahoma City a couple of years ago, and reported that Barry would show up every once in a while to watch his son practice.

Brad_V

Second Unit
One man alone - no matter who he is - cannot win a championship.
It was some main head of the team at the time, maybe Wayne Fontes, who when asked about Barry Sanders being their entire team, said, "Barry isn't out entire team. He's only 50% of it."

As was said, he's easily in the top-five of running backs. Possibly the best ever. The only reason I watched football at all back then was because Barry was playing.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
Barry left controversially. He gave no indication of his intentions to the media, the fans, the Lion organization (who he left high and dry), or the NFL. He never gave a formal press announcement, nor did he thank his thousands of fans for their allegiance over the years - he just simply took his ball and left the field, shocking everyone, and disappointing hoards of people in the process. Some even say that he took the money and ran (I specifically remember the Lions trying to make him give some of it back). All of this, and some of you think he'll walk into Canton w/o a hitch? As was mentioned, keep in mind who does the voting for the HoF - they're picky, and they don't forget.

JamieD

Supporting Actor
I know you're not knocking Emmitt Smith? He is a great running back that deserves everything he gets. Class, character, humility,.....Breaking sweetness' record couldn't happen to a better guy.
Those aren't exactly the qualities I've read about being ascribed to Emmitt Smith, but anyways, that's another subject.

Barry Sanders was one of the best running backs in NFL history. He retired when he felt like retiring, which is the only important criteria. If A-Rod got tired of playing baseball and retired tomorrow, more power to him. He's certainly got the money. And considering that it's primarily Detroit folks that are angry with him, and most of the league doesn't seem too bothered, I'd say he gets in first ballot.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
keep in mind who does the voting for the HoF - they're picky, and they don't forget
Don't forget WHAT? You think Jim Brown was a back-slapping, glad handing figure with Pro Football writers? Nope. He did what Sanders did--dealt with the media on his own terms, left the game on his own terms, when HE chose to, and he didn't give a rat's ass what the fans or the media thought. There was EXACTLY the same kind of resentment for not "finishing" his career.

The HOF voters simply will NOT care about the hand-wringing of Detroit fans or local sportswriters. The city of Detroit has exactly ONE voter (out of 38) on the selection committee, and that won't matter.

Jon_Are

Senior HTF Member
the hand-wringing of Detroit fans
For the record, I wrung my hands just once, briefly, upon hearing of Barry's retirement. I have not wrung since.
Also, I don't believe there is a Detroit sportswriter who has seen Barry play who would not vote him into the Hall.
He's in, first vote.
Jon

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
"he just simply took his ball and left the field"
Can't say I find this totally reprehensible. I'd vote for him.

Ross Williams

Supporting Actor
Emmitt Smith made his team one of the best ever. He wasn't some guy who happened to land in Dallas by luck or happenstance and ride the coat tails of NFL success known as the Dallas Cowboys. Also, Dallas sucked during the early years of Emmitt Smith w/ a record one season of 1-11...remember that?
Yeah, I remember that, that's why I said MOST of his career. (7 or 8 of his 11 year career.) And it's not like Emmit did it alone, he had this unknown QB named Troy Aikman handing him the ball, and this WR named Michael Irvin to take a bit of the pressure of him. And most importantly the Cowboys brought in Jimmy Johnson about that time to take the helm. So I'd say he was extremely lucky to be playing along with these guys. Name one guy of this caliber that Barry played with. I'm not trying to tear Emmit down, I'm simply saying that Barry was the better back. Who knows what Barry could have done in that situation, maybe he'd still even be playing. I can't imagine that Emmit would be anywhere near Walter's numbers if he'd been in Barry's shoes.

Barry is a shoe-in for the HOF. First ballot, I garauntee it. He is simply the most amazing football player I've ever seen play the game. (And my all time favorite player is Jerry Rice.)

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
As a Lions fan for over 30 years, I was disappointed that Barry left the team the way that he did, but I do not hold any grudge. The organization has been run abysmally for decades under William Clay Ford's ownership, so I can understand a player getting frustrated and leaving. My disappointment stemmed from knowing that I would never again see one of the most exciting players in NFL history carry the ball for my home team.

Sanders never had much talent around him, so most of the numbers put up were from his talents alone. Other than one fluke season by Scott Mitchell, they never had any kind of passing attack for a defense to focus on, so opponents concentrated on stopping Barry. However, they still couldn't contain him.

Emmitt Smith is definitely a great back, but he is no longer even the best RB on his team. All the years and hits have taken their toll. I doubt he would still be the starting RB in Dallas if he wasn't close to Payton's record. I do respect Emmitt's accomplishments (he was tough as nails, and would often play hurt).

To suggest that Sanders will not go into the Hall Of Fame is ludicrous. Other all time greats who did not win championships are or will be there -- Earl Campbell, OJ, Dan Marino, Fran Tarkington come to mind. Barry is in this class.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
Barry Sanders was one of my favorite players of all time but he is in a sense a very overrated RB. Of course he was an exceptional athlete but he was not a power runner really in any sense and would really not get that 3rd and 1 when it was a must. While Barry would get a 2 yard loss he would than get a 15 yard gain but in post-season play that style will NEVER win you anything; and post-season play is what truly defines a football player.

People like to bring up the fact that Barry Sanders was misused(Not being in on goaling situations) but there was a reason for it; Barry was the type of back that needed to have some decent holes to run in the goalline situation b/c he was a powerfull back and he couldn't improv by the goaline b/c the defense was so confined to the line of scrimmage.

I was the biggest Cowboy hater in the world but after I have grown to respect them(then at least) I have realized that even though E. Smith did have an awesome O-Line it wasn't like he never had to get tough yards. As one of the leaders in Rushing TD's that means he was one of the kings of tough 3rd and 1 situations. Barry might of smashed the rushing record if he had E. Smith's OL but I highly doubt he would of won as many Superbowls(if any).

Now Barry Sanders is the greatest "runner" in the history of the sport but he is not one of the greatest "Running Backs" in the history of the sport. He is a first ballot HOF without question.

Kevin Alexander

Screenwriter
I do not want to turn this into a Barry vs. Emmitt thread. For the record, and once again, I, too, was a fan of Barry Sanders. We can go on and on about who was the better of the 2 backs, but in the end, we will both still maintain our opinions. Something not to overlook though is the fact that both backs had very different styles. So to say what any back could do in any given situation would only be pure speculation.

Not just any back could've been as successful doing what Emmitt did behind that great offensive line. As a high school and college player myself, I've seen many backs who relied more on their "instincts" than follow blockers. Many times this worked to their disadvantage. Just as you say that Emmitt would've been unsuccessful in Detroit, Barry could've been just as unsuccessful in Dallas because of his different running style.

It is a fact that Emmitt is past his prime, but that statement will be true of every pro athlete in their career. Does this make Emmitt less deserving of breaking Peyton's record? No. Records were made to be broken, and Emmitt's record (soon to be) will be broken some day.

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
Barry was in my work (Best Buy) a couple of weeks ago, putting in an application.
. . .
Nah--just kidding--he was buying a television. :) Very nonchalant and unassuming--and hardly anybody knew who he was. Just reminded me of this thread, so I thought I'd bring it back from the dead for a few hours. :)

Matt Birchall

Supporting Actor
You know, I'm not even exactly sure what he wound up getting. I wasn't involved in the sale, but he was looking at the 20" TVs, and then the 32"-36" tubes, and then he was looking at audio equipment.

I didn't even consider asking for his autograph--just wouldn't have seemed like a cool thing to do.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks