What's new

What else should I add? To enhance my Man Cave (1 Viewer)

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yeah i agree with painting the room dark, make sure it's matt and not glossy and do the ceiling too, i would also make the floor dark in front of the screen, i think you should add one of these for when the film gets a bit boring.

a929e4646579dd39565b86d1c2dec019.jpg

vidiot33

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Mark
I would recommend Rosco Deep Velour black paint- it's as dark and non-reflective as it gets. Let me know if you're planning to use it and I can provide you with some tips (I used in my home theater, very happy with the results)

andySu

Senior HTF Member
Just go into your my pictures and rotate 90 degrees and delete the other picture sand reload newer corrected ones into your first page and it would look correct.

Bar stools like those for swirling around on my dad has some in red.

Rather than just paint the walls dark fabric cheap drapes would be fine and dampen room brightness down so it won't sound too lively. Finding cheap drapes is down to you. Fit them all around.

The matched in wall LCR is too low down to floor. The screen I gather is non-perforated acoustically transparent. The LCR needs to be higher up about middle height of the screen. Then cover the front wall with absorbent material to dampen down reflections off the screen.

Reason for LCR being up a bit higher is so the sound reaches around the room as if a second row is used and anyone family/friend/guest is sat behind the sound won't reach clearly, particularly high frequencies.

Also other reason for behind screen is so image and sound become one whole rather than disconnected. Home cinema isn't perfect as it doesn't matter how small or larger the flat screen tv is its always been an issue for decades on where to place matched LCR the speakers?

TV can go lower down but might budge the centre out the way and the importance of LCR is that they should be all at the same height level so panned sounds track across the same plane, rather than Left to centre up or down and then right. A trained ear will hear it shifting up and down from one speaker to the next.

You could put more of the same in-wall for extra surrounds as 5.1 doesn't mean surrounds should be two or 4 with 7.1. Spread a cluster of them around evenly spaced so all seats get surrounded as that is the point of being "surrounded" with mono-poles.

Side wall arrays for each seat should be a few inches behind each row so you get the impression of U.S.S. Enterprise, whooshing behind you when running 5.1 on each row of seats.

Otherwise a single pair on one row with back row won't hear it behind they'll hear it ahead of them and that is the common mistake most have followed for years.

Back row for surrounds place at least 4 or so so the ones on the outer sides are a bit wider than seating space the ones in middle halve spaced so middle row seats get half of the stereo surround between each person.

Mono-poles in short run can be cheaper than expensive di-polars where a pair normally costs twice as much. And if mono-pole is set up correctly you'd be surrounded even when you switch off the LCR you can hear the same effect that you'd normally get at cinema.

Overhead surrounds isn't really making a norm with all these new formats as its been done before many decades ago (as far back as 1977 STAR WARS and at local cinema I worked at once 1989) with regular use of surrounds from mono matrix to discrete 70mm and Dolby SR-D and dts so its been done before and even with regular surround it works well at surrounding the room.

Get some good subs even large ones matched fit a cluster into the front wall for rooting lows below 80Hz if that is your preference or have larger drivers for LCR so they can handle down 30Hz or lower. Fit few around the room for each zone of the surrounds so that they can expended the surrounds down lower rather than piling it all onto a single sub. Leave the fronts for LFE.1.

Rear back surrounds on most films is pointless mix as they are hardly used for films like STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS and only carry sound effects. The side wall surrounds are actively used for music and effects. The rear back do make you look behind on some scenes.

Matched speakers will be timber balanced tonally so should only have minimal to Eq to tonally correct for small errors.

home cinema plan.jpg

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I would personally have the screen lower, i find it better when your eyes don't have to look up much, it's more relaxing and fun, obviously you have speakers there and that would be a problem unless you had an acoustically transparent screen, regarding the last pic, if you have a subwoofer or later buy one that can go real low you might want to run a rattle test using a calibration disc.

Once you get the rooms walls, ceiling and floor all dark it should look real good.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Screen is too high...but nothing you can do since you didn't get acoustically transparent. Unless you decide to redo it with one. If you do, forget perf. Get woven.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
FoxyMulder said:
Yeah i agree with painting the room dark, make sure it's matt and not glossy and do the ceiling too, i would also make the floor dark in front of the screen, i think you should add one of these for when the film gets a bit boring.

a929e4646579dd39565b86d1c2dec019.jpg
She's wearing too much and I don't see a sandwich...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks