What's new

What DVDs are we likely to see next year? (1 Viewer)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
My prediction is that 2004 will the year that deep catalog TV on DVD proliferates the shelves. We've already heard that Mr. Ed, Barney Miller and Gilligan are coming. I would expect that other 60's and 70's era shows start appearing.

I'll even go out on a limb (:)) and say that "Get Smart!" will be on store shelves by the fall of 2004.

On the movie front, I predict that Warners will continue to please us with great classic titles that will look better than anybody has a right to expect them to look. ("Angels with Dirty Faces" anybody?)

Peter Mazur

Second Unit
Josh,

I posted this back in March:

There is an interesting item in the newest Entertainment Weekly (#700, March 14th). There is a small story about George not releasing the originals on DVD. But then there is this comment: quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Still, Lucasfilm hasn't closed the door completely on the original trilogy. "Yes, we do know that a lot of fans are saying, 'Oh, please release the original theatrical versions as well as the the special editions' " says Cole (Lucasfilm publicist Jeanne Cole). "We hear them, but we don't have any immediate plans. Our first focus right now is to get Episode III done".
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Next X-mas would be the ideal time to release them. It would be building on the already extremely high anticipation for Episode III. Definitely just wishful thinking...but you never know.

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
That would be a very pleasant surprise to say the least, but I'm not getting my hopes up. King George doesn't want the OT to be released ever again and I seriously doubt he'll change his mind even though the fans are desperate to have the theatrical versions on DVD.

Brian PB

Supporting Actor
Some 2004 releases I’m looking forward to:

Anchor Bay
Dawn of the Dead SE (Romero/1978)

Buena Vista
Mary Poppins SE (Stevenson/1964)
City of God (Mereilles/2002)

Columbia/TS
A Matter of Life & Death/Stairway to Heaven (Powell & Pressburger/1946)

Criterion
The Eclipse/L'éclisse (Antonioni/1962)
Au Hasard Balthazar (Bresson/1966)
Diary of a Country Priest (Bresson/1950)
Mouchette (Bresson/1967)
The Milky Way (Buñuel/1968)
The Phantom of Liberty (Buñuel/1974)
Eisenstein: The Silent Years (Battleship Potemkin, October, Strike) (Eisenstein/1924-5)
Eyes Without a Face/Les Yeux sans visage (Franju/1959)
Masculine Feminine (Godard/1965)
Two or Three Things I Know About Her (Godard/1966)
The Lower Depths (Kurosawa/1957)
Ikiru/To Live (Kurosawa/1952)
Beyond the Valley of the Dolls (Meyer/1970)
Early Summer (Ozu/1951)
Floating Weeds (Ozu/1934)
Rules of the Game/La Règle du jeu (Renoir/1939)
Claire's Knee (Rohmer/1971)
The Leopard/Il Gattopardo (Visconti/1963)
Also, I expect some Mizoguchi, and more Imamura, Melville, and Bergman.

The Parson's Widow (Dreyer/1920)

Kino
L'Age d'or (Buñuel/1930)

Koch Lorber
La Dolce vita (Fellini/1960)

MGM/UA
Bergman’s Hour of the Wolf (1968), Shame (1968), The Passion of Anna (1970), Persona (1966), The Serpent's Egg (1978)
The Good, the Bad, & the Ugly (Leone/1967)
Wild at Heart (Lynch/1990)

Milestone (probably released through Image)
Charles Burnett’s Killer of Sheep (1977) and My Brother's Wedding (1983)

New Yorker
Lancelot of the Lake/Lancelot du lac (Bresson/1974) [A Man Escaped (1957) and L’Argent (1983) are scheduled for releases in December, but I suspect they’ll be delayed until 2004]

Paramount
The Miracle of Morgan's Creek (P. Sturges/1944)

Warner
Iron Giant SE (Bird/1999)
Freaks (Browning/1932)
Libeled Lady (Conway/1936)
Shawshank Redemption SE (Darabont/1994)
The Postman Always Rings Twice (Garnett/1946)
Bringing Up Baby (Hawks/1938)
The Asphalt Jungle (Huston/1950)
Marx Brothers’ A Night in Casablanca (Mayo/1946), A Day at the Races (Wood/1937), and A Night at the Opera (Wood/1935)
Meet Me in St. Louis (Minnelli/1944)
King Kong (Schoedsack & Cooper/1933)
Goodfellas SE (Scorsese/1990)
Blade Runner SE (Scott/1982)
Bad Day at Black Rock (J. Sturges/1954)
After the Thin Man (Van Dyke/1936)
I also hope to see Welles’ The Magnificent Ambersons (1942), von Stroheim’s Greed (1927), and George Stevens’ Gunga Din

EricW

Senior HTF Member
bottle rocket criterion. maybe when Anderson's next movie gets released on DVD?

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
the ones i'm looking forward to most are

Dawn Of The Dead!
The Postman Always Rings Twice
The Libled Lady
Dr Jeckyll & Mr Hyde
The Asphalt Jungle

i have a sneaking suspicion that King Kong will get pushed back to better take advantage of the Peter Jackson remake.
i'll be suprised if we see it next year.

i would be unnaturally happy to see any of these make it out next year;
Paramount
Foul Play
Let's Scare Jessica To Death
Love With The Proper Stranger
Ace in The Hole

Fox
My Darling Clementine
A Letter To Three Wives
Leaver Her To Heaven

MGM?
Love At First Bite

Warner
Demon Seed
The Prisoner Of Second Avenue

New Concorde :frowning:
StarCrash

and hopefully Universal will be able to get on track now, and we'll see
The Revenge Of The Creature
and a slew of other monster movies that have yet to have a release (as well as the re-issues of the earlier OoP discs)
and , fingers crossed,
a boxed set of Kolchak: The Night Stalker

Rhett_Y

Screenwriter
I looking forward to the LOTR-ROTK 2 disk and 4 disk versions....
Buffy season 6-7
Highlander season 3,4,5,6 I know I will probably only see 3-4 but there is hope :D

King Kong
Fire and Ice the animation

R~

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
My list for next year includes:
King Kong - (70th Anniversary + 1 Release)

Star Wars "Classic" Trilogy (I, like Peter above, believe we'll see the original 1977,1980,and 1983 movies released in November 2004 as part of the promotion for Ep.III. The "UV" (Ultimate Vision) iterations, which will be updates of the '97 SE's, will follow in late 2006.)

Return of the King EE

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i think there is a good chance we will see these as well:

Swing Time
Top Hat
Some Marx Brothers
Cat People (rko)
Day of the Locust
Murder On The Orient Express

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
According to this (who's 2003 listings have proven uncannily accurate so far):

Don't forget that HollywoodBitchSlap already has a list like the one you guys are making here! And the the maker of the list, Erik Childress, hangs out here at HTF so practically anything we've ever talked about makes it to that list! :D

I suppose that since it's ME posting, you guys would be disappointed if I didn't mention a few TV series, eh? Well, no use mentioning shows that are already out and will probably continue to come out in future seasons (like, M*A*S*H Season 6...we all know it's coming, right?).

So, new series, in no particular order other than my decaffinated brain at 5 AM (and don't expect any surprises in here; I'm not so sleepy I'll let secrets slip!...I'm pretty much taking this from TVShowsOnDVD news items):
  • Kids In The Hall ("big news", wouldn't you say? :) )
    Star Trek: Voyager
    Roswell
    Three's Company
    Freaks & Geeks
    SCTV
    Curb Your Enthusiasm
    Gargoyles
    Lost In Space
    Kung Fu
    Gilligan's Island
    The Dukes of Hazzard
    The Thorn Birds
    Roots: The Next Generations
    NewsRadio
    The Critic
    Barney Miller
    Northern Exposure
    General Hospital
    All My Children
    Spider-Man (2003)
    The State
    The L Word
    Out Of Order
    Penn & Teller: Bullshit!
    Family Business
    Doc
    Jeremiah
    Sledge Hammer (probably)

...and yeah, I expect Seinfeld before 2004 is over.

"Everything is subject to change, nothing is set in stone, blah blah blah and all that jazz..."

If I forgot something important on that list, then I apologize...I'm really not awake yet. I can tell you that - TVonDVD-wise - you guys are in for some real treats and surprises next year, if all goes well.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
- Seven Samurai Criterion (Supposedly a brand new HiDef transfer)
- Shadow Of The Vampire Signature Series
- Blade Runner 3 disc SE
- Blazing Saddles SE
- GI Joe Animated Season Sets
- The Grapes Of Wrath
- Married With Children Season Sets
- Batman Animated Series Series Sets
- 400 Blows Criterion
- Scorcese Box Set (remastered Goodfellas, Raging Bull, Mean Streets,etc)
- Wyatt Earp SE
- The Hunger
- Schindlers List SE
- Planet Of the Apes Reissues
- American Splendor
- The Swimming Pool
- 12 Monkeys Ultimate Edition
- Bambi SE
- Batman Mystery Of the Batwoman
- Black Rain SE
- Chariots Fo Fire SE
- Ed Wood SE
- The Game Criterion
- Greystoke SE
- Hamlet (1996)
- High Noon 50th anniversary
- Hoffa
- Jackass Season Sets
- Seabiscuit
- The Keep
- Looking For Mr Goodbar
- Kill Bill Vol 1 & 2 :rolleyes::rolleyes

Hopefully these will happen as well:

- Robocop Dir Cut Remastered
- Hearts Of Darkness A Filmakers Apocalypse
- Raising Arizona SE
- Millennium Season Sets (Or Ill kill someone!!!!)
- Strange Days SE
- Giant Robo Series
- Nowhere
- Twin Peaks Season 2
- Dream Lover
- Russ Meyer films

BTW,I doubt Lucas has any intention of releasing the original trilogy on DVD before or after 2006 :frowning:

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
400 Blows Criterion
Um, this has been released by Criterion twice already, and the current version features a beautiful anamorphic transfer, great extras a couple of commentary tracks... What more could you possibly want???

I'm *hoping* for the following:

From Criterion:
6 Moral Tales Box (Eric Rohmer)

From New Yorker:
Underground (Kusturica)
Celine and Julie Go Boating (Rivette)

Ted

Bill Burns

Supporting Actor
Gone With the Wind: 65th Anniversary Edition (WB)

There was a rumor about this (or perhaps speculation) at The Digital Bits a while ago. It seems to me very likely; reports have it that deleted/outtake footage is available, screen tests that have already appeared in documentaries, etc., and LDI mentioned how much they'd like to "redo Gone With the Wind at 4K," obviously in conjunction with Ultra Resolution ... the potential for an extraordinary product is high.

Schindler's List

The Digital Bits said (or rather "rumored") that this is expected in February.

Hamlet (Branagh; 1996) (WB)

The 'Bits reported back in April that a People.com e-mail newsletter quoted the director as saying this is on the docket for Spring of 2004. I trust it will be taken from 65mm (unlike the Columbia/TriStar laserdisc); it's one of my five favorite films, but if they take it from reduction I might have to chain my wallet shut and force myself not to buy it -- I already wasted more than enough money on the mediocrity of C/T's reduction laser, though that's now laser-rotted on top of everything else. I have every confidence WB will do right by the film, though, as per their usual standards of excellence on the format. I also trust it will arrive on two DVD-9s (ideal for those of us with carousel players), and perhaps offer a feature commentary by Branagh and/or his cast.

Wyatt Earp (Kasdan) (WB)

The theatrical and extended home video cuts should be offered via seamless branching; the changes between the two versions are minimal. A commentary would be very welcome. Gag reels, deleted scenes ... I love the film and would enjoy any additional material the producers care to include.

Of titles not yet mentioned, the top title tops my list among likely/certain releases, and the remaining three, already mentioned earlier on the thread, are equally exciting. Anything the majors can bring us of the cinema of the 20's-40's, and any of the big, wide event pictures of the 50's and 60's, would also, if handled with the proper care and precision (as is increasingly the de facto case, I'm happy to say, particularly from studios such as WB and Fox), deliver into the lives of film lovers great cause for celebration. :emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'll just be happy if Fox keep up the high standards they have already set with their Studio Classics, if Warners give us more Bogart and Flynn, and add great dollops of Cagney, Fred 'n Ginger, the Marx Brothers, and chuck some more 'nights at the movies' at us with more volumes of their much anticipated Warners Legends box. Maybe the success of those two studios with their back catalogues will bring Columbia back on line, and encourage Universal, Paramount et al, that there is gold in them thar classics DVDs (when they are presented properly).

I'd love Laurel & Hardy next year to get similar treatment that Charlie Chaplin has had this year, Searchers and Wild Bunch SEs (unlikely I fear yet), and after all those hopes, yes, here's another chap looking forward to Wyatt Earp (and isn't Open Range pencilled in for February?).

---
So many films, so little time...

Derek_McL

Second Unit
I don't recall King Kong(1933) being specifically mentioned in the Warner chat so its by no means a certainty for next year.

Warner seem to be holding back on the RKO films generally. Did you know that Universal who owns them in the UK are releasing some Fred and Ginger, the Marx Brothers and Bringing Up Baby this year ? I don't think they will be fully restored versions but it will be interesting to see.

Lets have some more classic MGM musicals :
That's Entertainment ! and Meet Me In St Louis at the very least !

Also proper representation for Flynn and Cagney on DVD is long overdue,lets hope we get all the classic swashbucklers and gangsters of these two before the end of 2004.

I'm looking forward to 20th Century Fox's greatest ever movie The Grapes of Wrath too but please Fox could we also have some of those Alice Faye and Betty Grable musicals.

I also hope for more releases in the TCM silents series which begins with the Lon Chaney set coming in October. These would be good for starters :

Greed
Ben Hur 1925 version
The Big Parade
The Crowd
The Wind
Show People

Also the Marx MGMs will be great and of course one of the few undisputed classics missing from DVD : Schindler's List.

Eureka Video in the UK also seem to be catching with many US silent releases in 2004 beginning with Sunrise planned for January.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks