1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What does this mean, exactly?

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Odegard, Apr 15, 2003.

1. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

I was in BB today buying some DVD's and decided I need a new DVD-A. I was browsing and noticed now(I don't think they were there before) that they(DVD-A's) have stickers saying they will play in any DVD player.

What does this mean? They can't get the full benefit of DVD-A through just any DVD player, can they? They must be only to use the DTS or 2 channel music of the disc right? Or if the DVD player has multi channel outs is it possible to play DVD-A on a regular DVD player.

I dunno, I seen this today and was curious as to what it means for people with your normal run of the mill DVD player.

2. Paul Boyle

Paul Boyle Stunt Coordinator

Matt ... DVD-A's do indeed play in any DVD player but as you rightly point out you can't access the higher quality DVD-A track without a DVD-A capable player ... On a normal DVD player you will get a DD5.1 or in some cases DTS track which are included on all DVD-A's ... Incidentally you also need a DVD-A capable player to access any extra video data which might be included on the DVD-A ...
    HTH ...Paul [​IMG]

3. Matt Odegard

Matt Odegard Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Paul, Thats what I figured. But I think that label is a little misleading to people who don't fully understand what DVD-A is. Some may think they are actually hearing the DVD-A portion of the disc.