What's new

What does everyone think of their Grease DVD's ? (1 Viewer)

Richard Michael Clark

Second Unit
I agree with just about eveything that has already been said BUT...

has no-one else noticed the weird anomolies in the audio mix? Specifically the mix-out of "you're the one that I want". This song always just faded into the background and mixed into the start of "we go together" but now the mix is really wierd! (I'm guessing this was done for the 98 theatrical re-issue but I missed that at the cinema so I'm not sure)
As Danny & Sandy move away from the "shake shack" and the song starts to fade, it seems to suddenly speed up as if a "new" mix-out has been mixed in. There is also at least one extra "woo hoo" added in (seems to be Olivia's earlier one re-positioned to the fade out - this happens as Sandy leans against the 'strongman' thing!).
Has no-one else noticed this as I personally find it really disconcerting, not to mention distracting!
Whoever did the "remix" cannot count simple musical beats!

Please, someone else say they noticed this and that it bothers them! I can't be the only one! This isn't the only glaring musical jarring moment but it's the most obvious - others are sound fx added to the likes of "summer nights" and "Greased lightning".

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
One thing I noticed, they really kicked in the cricket and birds sounds in this thing!

Seth T

Stunt Coordinator
I Costco'd a keepcase version...looks great!
Have yet to put it in though...some HTF owner reviewed 24, which my wife bought for my birthday, and it's been sucking up my life.
Thanks a lot....RON. ;)

Greg_M

Screenwriter
The DVD is disappointing. The transfer looks no better then the one used for the laserdisc four years ago. It seems a lot of people have never seen the film in widescreen at home before, and from what I've heard the widescreen image is what's impressing them. But the image isn't very sharp. I've seen the film in the theater quite a few times over the last 20 years, most prints were dark and grainy (even one screened at the Paramount lot)The only time the film ever looked incredible was opening day at the Loews State 2 in Manhattan. The film was shown in 70MM and the colors were accurate and the print completely free of grain. Later that summer (78) I saw the film at a multiplex
and it looked pretty bad. If only Paramount could use the 70MM blow up print for future Home Video releases.

Brendon

Second Unit
Gordon,

Not wishing to take the thread off topic, but I assume you do have the DVD of Rock n' Roll High School ?

Aside from it being non-anamorphic, it really is something of a treat!

Hey ho, let's go!

Brendon

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to Brendon:
I'm somewhat of a Roger Corman worshipper! Although Roger had stopped directing by '79, but Arkush did a fine job of capturing the spirit of the film. The DVD is superb. I wish that MGM would reissue The Wild Angels with a Corman commentary. Tales Of Terror too. Is The Terror (1963) a public domain film now? It must be, as there are about 5 DVDs of it! MGM ought to put their version out with a Corman commentary. None of the 5 DVDs are in widescreen - The Terror was shot in VistaVision! 1.78:1 anamorphic? I think so. :emoji_thumbsup:
Great stuff, Brendon! :)
Gordy

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to Kevin M:
No sweat, Kev, sometimes my posts can be vague! :b
The DVD didn't arrive today, but the website says it has been posted, so tomorrow for sure! :b I'm getting to sound like the Michael Cimino of HTF! "When's it gonna be finished, Michael? Kris Kristoffa-who?" :D
All good things come to thems that wait...
Gordy

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Now THERE is an interesting idea for a double-feature: Grease and Rock 'N' Roll High School! Two great, rockin' films! :D
:emoji_thumbsup:

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
FYI: Sam's Club also has this in keepcases...
I can't thank you enough for pointing this out. I was just about to ask this question.
I picked up an Amaray Grease widescreen DVD at Sam's Club today, and, without even having opened the other version, I can already say I'm twice as pleased now. :)
Add to that that I was able to find Frailty for $15.49 there, you really made my day.

Mark Hanson

Agent
Wife happy. Now the problem is which of the other films to get her Flashdance or Footloose. For the price worth it as a musical we both can live with and helps avoid a couple other really bad films. We both have a list of films so bad the we do not make the other suffer through.

Brendon

Second Unit
Now THERE is an interesting idea for a double-feature: Grease and Rock 'N' Roll High School! Two great, rockin' films!
I was a Ramones fan for years before I got to see RnR High School. When I finally got it on it's initial release on DVD, I had it down as an "evil" Grease!
Does that make PJ Soles an Evil Olivia Newton John ? :D
Gordon: I've never seen any of the films you mentioned. Sounds like late night Channel 4 (UK) fare! Any recommendations for something to start with Roger Corman wise ?
Brendon

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
I watched it last night. It is better than my old widescreen VHS copy, but it doesn't come close to what it should be. I watched it on a 16X9 set for the record. Overall, a below par transfer. I did get the keepcase version, though!

Bryan

Stunt Coordinator
My .02,
Pro's:
My whole family loves Grease. I sat through it in the theaters 3 times in a row when it first came out, then went to see it again and again after that. But I was a teenager and ONJ was hot looking at the end of the film.
Music is just greatly done. I especialy like There Are Worse Things I Could Do.
This is just one of those movies I have always liked. It came a year after Star Wars and I sat through it a few times too.
Cons:
Hated the packaging, but in order to use the print they used on the DVD (which was the same they used on a CD I have) and the leg extensions under the clear disc holder, they had to do it this way. Were the palstic cases like that?
Chapter stops should have been on the songs.
Extras were not very plentiful. They've had plenty of time to do/add them. C'est la vie.
The blurred picture behind ONJ and LL in the malt shop still has me boggled. It's a coca-cola picture, but there are other coke items around. Maybe it's just the pic itself?
Final:
All-in-all, I like the transfer better than my old vhs copy. I still like the show emensly. And I'm still a teenager at heart. :D

James Reader

Screenwriter
Hated the packaging, but in order to use the print they used on the DVD (which was the same they used on a CD I have) and the leg extensions under the clear disc holder, they had to do it this way. Were the palstic cases like that?
They could have used a clear aramay, with the backing image printed on the reverse of the inlay. Such a case is common in the UK and Australia where the chapter stops are printed on the reverse left of the inlay (thus saving the need to insert a slip or booklet into the case).

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
I don't have the DVD for grease yet, but i can let you in aon a lame joke i made regarding the DVD. I said (in best buy to one of the media people) .. you're going to have alot of people bringing back their DVD playes if they put GREASE in them.:D ;)

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
The blurred picture behind ONJ and LL in the malt shop still has me boggled. It's a coca-cola picture, but there are other coke items around. Maybe it's just the pic itself?
I don't think it's just the picture. When ONJ talks to JT at the jukebox, the Coca-Cola sign on the wall menu behind them is also grayed out.

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Hated the packaging....
I know I'm in for a host of negative verbal salvos for uttering the following blasphemous statement, but I like the packaging. Not bad at all IMO. Nice slipcase-type design; good-looking graphics/cover art; sturdy plastic hub panel; and a good hub design (easy disc removal, even WITH the continuing trend of having 2 of the 4 finger-recessed slots plugged-up with a plastic barrier! WHY do they design hub housing with finger-recessed areas, so we can grab the disc on opposite ends, and then negate its sole purpose by plugging up 2 of the 4 areas with a plastic wall? Continues to amaze me how dumb this design is!)
But even with the ridiculous plugged-up finger areas, the Grease hub gets high marks, because you can slide the disc on its hub without hearing those awful cracking, "I'm sure it's going to break in half" noises. :)
All-in-all a nice hunk of packaging. A nice change from the regular style keepcase.
Anybody else on my side of the Digipak fence? :)
*going to prepare last meal now....surely will not survive Grease-case-hater's onslaught of abuse* :D

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
In reply to Brendon:
The MGM Corman DVDs are great - and cheap:
The Fall Of The House Of Usher (1960)
The Pit And The Pendulum (1961)
X: The Man With The X-Ray Eyes (1963)
The Wild Angels (1966)
The Masque Of The Red Death (1964) & The Premature Burial (1962) doublepack
Any of the above would be a great start. :)
Gord

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
we just popped in grease and right away i could see very inferior video quality.
lots of grain and/or mosquito noise especially in backround image.
the dvd player i have has a menu option for reducing these type of problems and it did make a big improvement after adjustments.

but still very mediocre

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks