What's new

What do you think of Best Buy? (1 Viewer)

Kain_C

Screenwriter
True, the best weapons against the salespeoples are two things; education and tenacity against their add-on sales.

The net is available to most people, so get online and study what you need to for as long as you want. No offense, but I have a hard time respecting someone who basically puts money in my hand and tells me to get them what they need as opposed to someone who comes into the store knowing EXACTLY what they want. I guess it's the way I shop.

And if you really want to put the salespeople in their place EARLY in the sale, just tell them that you want only this product and aren't in any need for their extented warranties. Listen to their pitch, but if you decide it isn't for you, be quick, firm, but respectable in your reasons for not wanting it. There is ENORMOUS pressure put on the employees to sell these extra warranties. Imagine having your boss lurk around you during presentations and then practically attack you after if you don't land the extra stuff. It isn't fun. Right now, I offer the plan early and if they don't want it, I ring up their purchase and thank them for their business.

Allan^L

Stunt Coordinator
I like the store and shop there regularly. They have a large DVD and game selection, which is what I buy mostly and their prices are the best in Canada (tied with Future Shop, which is also under the Best Buy umbrella). Okay, maybe Wal-Mart is a few cents less but shopping there gives me hives.

In the past two months, I've gotten a 34" widescreen TV and my new PC at Best Buy. There was trouble with the TV when the stand they gave us didn't fit the TV but in the end and after a good talking-to by yours truly, we were credited $145 for the stand and bought it at Future Shop for $115, so that was nice. The computer was a great deal as well.

We didn't get the extended warranties for either as they're a waste of money. When I bought the PC, I let the salesguy do his spiel and as soon as he was done, I immediately asked if he sold prepaid phone cards for my cell. He seemed a little taken aback and replied that the front cash had those. I thanked him and headed to the front cash to get the phone card. ;)

I find when buying big ticket items at BB, make sure you've researched the item in question and know all about it and BB's policies. The salesguy should only be there to help you get it off the shelf onto your cart.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
DVD selection is going to hell at all the local stores.

They keep filling the racks with boatloads of unsold "Fullscreen" headline disks and refuse to reorder titles which have sold out.

A few years ago they stopped with having some of the smaller releases and re-releases on Tues. Now it seems they don't even order the titles and literally say, "Go to Best Buy.com we don't carry that at our stores."

:thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

It's cheaper to order online elsewhere, if they want my money they had better have the disk on hand. I'm not going to Best Buy.com without a 50-60% off incentive.

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member

Boy, you got that right! I have given up on my local BB. The selection of DVDs sucks! Unless it's the new "BIG RELEASE", forget it... The shelves are wiped out at my local store, but they have THREE SHELVES of Texas Chainsaw Massacre available.

Jonathan L

Stunt Coordinator
Wow. Kind of surprised by some of the comments about Best Buy.

About the extended warranties, this is one of my biggest problems. Even though they are closer to me, I've stopped buying any big ticket items at Circuit City over this, at times, borderline abusive bullying to buy the extended warranty.
Same here about Best Buy. I've found a lot of variance between individual stores. The current store that I frequent since I've moved is absolutely god-awful in terms of inventory...it's taken me at least 2 or 3 visits, or going to a different location to find older titles (even popular ones!). Also, the cashiers ask for your home phone number when you check out, and more than once I've gotten dirty looks/bad attitudes when I refused to give it.

However, the store I went to before I moved was absolutely excellent. Not once were they out of something I wanted, and the employees were always friendly.

Now as far as CC, I will never shop there again, for mostly the same reason Jon stated. The last purchase I made there was ironically my first DVD player, I'm guessing 1999, but definitely before Divx was finally put down. To make a long story short, the salesperson actually tried to walk away from me and not complete the sale because I refused to buy a Divx-capable unit, and subsequently refused to get an extended warranty. I had to threaten to complain to the manager just to get him to enter the order (I complained afterwards anyway). They haven't gotten a dime from me since.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Also, the cashiers ask for your home phone number when you check out, and more than once I've gotten dirty looks/bad attitudes when I refused to give it.
Best Buy does not ask for phone numbers unless of course you are ordering something or buying some add on like extra warranties or subscription services. For regular purchases, they do NOT need your number. There are plenty of other stores that do, like some of the office supply stores.

Joseph S

Senior HTF Member
Well, their selection has gotten better. I don't know what you people mean by worse. Their anime selection definately has improved. However, it is harder to find older titles and they have no way of ordering movies (the employees I mean) so they are supposed to encourage you to buy from bb.com. Also, they do have to concentrate on what sales. If dumb people would quit snatching up new releases no matter of their crappiness(Pearl Harbor, etc), the inventory wouldn't be centered around that so much.
Maybe the anime selection is better, but I can't find releases on release day and I'm seeing far fewer titles than I did just 6months ago. Instead we have shelves and shelves of unsold Fullscreen blockbusters they can't get rid of and have decided to shove more on the shelves instead of filling the blanks of sold titles with reorders.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
I won't buy my Criterions at Best Buy (save for a few), but I like their selection ranging from Do The Right Thing, The Devil and Daniel Webster, and Pickup On South Street.

The anime section is definitely improved.

Bob Graz

Supporting Actor
I'm not a big fan of Best Buy, but I find myself going there for a couple of reasons. As mentioned in earlier comments they have very good new release prices on DVD's. Also, I find their prices and selection on basic stuff like cables and such to be better than Circuit City.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
I like best buy for all HT software needs. I would NEVER buy any hardware (receivers, amp, TV, etc.) as they are lower end of the brand line (as someone mentioned).

As as far as sales staff goes, I find them generally ignorant no matter where I go. There are those rare exceptions, though.

Jacob Aaron

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my horror story.

I worked at a high end AV store in the Lake Forest area outside chicago. I would spend 2-3 hours showing people like GEORGE TW our gear. I'd answer every question honestly, and I wouldn't pressure him in buying. I'd haul around the right amps, or re-wire the speakers to a cable more like his or in his price range. I would work hard so that he had the best possible service. With my advice and low pressure sales, he would find that perfect item for his needs.

Then GeorgeTW and types like him go and buy it on the internet.

To me, people like George are worse than a sales guy at Best Buy who doesn't get commission pitching an extended warranty.

I don't mind people being frugal, but if you are going to buy on the internet don't waste people's time by having them spend 2-3 hours or longer with you trying to find the right gear. Just buy it on the internet. Don't STEAL service.

GeorgeTW

Stunt Coordinator
Here is my horror story.

People like Jacob Aaron have no clue as to what I may buy IF I actually had a knowledgeable salesman answer my questions truthfully, honestly, and respectfully. I am sure Jacob Aaron can recognize a patronizing attitude when he's exposed to it.

If there was anyone like Jacob Aaron around to give me an earnest appraisal instead of blowing smoke up my bung, I would spend 2-3 hours acquiring accessories wi th Jacob Aaron in conjunction with my purchase. Instead, I have seen nothing but sales people who fake interest, give bad advice, then haul ass as soon as they think they see a more profitable sale walking in the door. What sort of attitude would Jacob Aaron have if HE were the customer, and never got treated the way HE treats others? I imagine Jacob Aaron would probably get sick & tired of blank stares, thoughtless replies, or a talking head who didn't understand the question?

To me, people like Jacob Aaron are worse than a sales guy at Best Buy because HE is so immersed in state-of-the-art equipment, HE forgets what it's like to be out of the loop. Jacob Aaron can't imagine that a novice might need a little time to soak in all the changes, and give that customer a little extra effort.

I don't mind salespeople working efficiently, but if you are going to treat amateurs as unworthy, they just might go buy it on the internet. Don't DISRESPECT customers. You never know when a BBB form, or a letter to your city's greater business association may come back to remind you of the day you took out your frustrations on a stupid old fart who was trying to get back into the game.

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
Best Buy does not ask for phone numbers unless of course you are ordering something or buying some add on like extra warranties or subscription services. For regular purchases, they do NOT need your number. There are plenty of other stores that do, like some of the office supply stores.
They do now.:b Oh, and I work for the company and would *NEVER* buy a computer there, except a notebook since I can't build one myself. The savings of building your own desktop is HUGE!!

Jeremy Little

Supporting Actor
I like best buy for all HT software needs. I would NEVER buy any hardware (receivers, amp, TV, etc.) as they are lower end of the brand line (as someone mentioned).
Recievers - The Yamaha HTR-5790 is more than the majority of posters on this site will ever need or use.

TV - Those Samsung DLP's aren't too popular now, are they? What about the Pioneer Plasmas?

There is obviously a high-end crowd that they don't cater to YET, but they'll try that soon enough too (and I don't mean Magnolia Hi-Fi).

DanaA

Screenwriter
We have a pretty good Best Buys in my community, with both purchases and refund. Still, I mostly just buy DVD's and other software from them. Every once in a while, I might buy something like a microwave or dishwasher from them though.

DanaA

Screenwriter
Boy, articles like that make it hard to like Best Buy. I know it's their right to try and cut expenses caused by these customers, but feel it's a sign of the times that they'll, in effect, put consumers under some sort of rating system. This is only going to get worse I feel. Things like this and the way I've heard they treat their employees reflects a very impersonal corporate philosophy.

SteveBro

Agent
It's not a rating system so much as it is a way to cater more to certain types of customers, and to turn unprofitable customers into profitable customers. That a company would try to cater more to the interests of its customers strikes me as being more personal than what most companies these days do, which is to treat everyone exactly the same way, no matter how often they come in or how much money they spend. Why would you want to treat a customer that spends thousands of dollars a year the same way as you would a customer that only buys open-box merchandise and/or habitually returns purchases? It doesn't make sense to run one's business that way.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
RE: the cashiers asking for your phone number

I bought a couple DVDs there today and was asked for my phone number. I asked why they needed it and was told that it would help with returns or something to that effect. Yeah, right. I declined to give it, they sold me the DVDs, and I don't expect to have any problem if I need to return something. Still, it's an irritatation, and it makes me wonder what they're really up to.

Edit: Found this link that explains why they may be asking for your phone number.

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
Every time I go to Best Buy they ask if they can get my phone number. I simply say, No, you can't.

One guy said he needed to put a phone number in there, so I told him to go ahead type in *his* home number.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation966
Recent bookmarks