What's new

What do you guys use to track your DVDs? (1 Viewer)

Dana Fillhart

Supporting Actor
I have my own custom software I wrote (I'd show it but you have to log in as a member). I added it to the Film Tracker tool I wrote for HTF members here (tho I have practically zero signed up at the moment) to track their films (kinda like ymdb but more geared to generate output for the 200x Film List threads). The tracker's now called HTF Film Tracker+ for the DVD-tracking abilities (tho it's nowhere nearly as comprehensive as DVD Profiler or the 2 other big ones). Maybe some day it will get there :) But I had to do something -- I have almost 2000 discs in my collection.

The program I use is called Movie Collector it's available at collectorz.com

I realize that DVD Profile seems to be the popular choice, but this program is great too. The software has excellent support, it's easy to use, and can also keep track of Laserdiscs, and VHS tapes in the same collection with DVD's.

I love it.

Chris

Senior HTF Member
Bah! Now that you guys got me started, I've been putting in tons of DVDs into DVD Profiler, and even though I'm not even half-way there it goes fast. For most of these, I don't have the boxes handy, so searching by name, but even that process goes quickly.

Very handy little tool! :)

Dwayne

Supporting Actor
Funny how this thread surfaced again.

Believe it or not, I'm taking a break from working on the Librarian, which is the software I spoke of earlier in the thread. I actually destroyed what I had before and re-written it from the ground-up. The interface is much more improved and cleaner. The other big change is that the data is now stored using XML instead of a binary format. This has many advantages, one of which is easier maintenance. And it will still run on just about any OS once it's finished, which is cool since I'm thinking about fooling around with LINUX again.

Actually, are there any MAC users out there who would be interested in taking some screenies of my app for me? I'm curious to see how the app looks under Aqua.

Jamie Cole

Stunt Coordinator
As a Mac user, I'm inclined to stick with my spreadsheet. I've tried DVDaf, and I like it, but my collection of ~400 discs takes forever to load. Plus, no laserdisc tracking.

Guzzlefish would be awesome if there was some kind of batch process to input titles, a la DVDaf. If there is one I haven't found it. Maybe someone could help with that: if it exists, where is it? After 30 minutes with GF yielded about 20 discs on the list, I gave up.

Otherwise, I really like using the AutoFilter on Excel to quickly organize by Genre, Runtime, Favorites, etc. You can download the spreadsheet from my web site (in my sig).

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
As a Mac user, I'm inclined to stick with my spreadsheet.
Jamie, most of my relatives use macs and what I've done is created DVD Profiler databases for them and then export their databases as Excel spreadsheets which they can then use on their Macs. This way it saves them hours upon hours of having to add all the detailed information about each disc. Updateing is easy as they simply send me an email each month listing all the new DVDs they have aquired (Title and UPC) and I make the chnages and send them a new spreadsheet. If I were you I would consider trying to make a similar arrangement with a close friend or relative who has a PC.

Matt Rexer

Stunt Coordinator
I use a custom Access database, myself. I'm such a dork, I'm not even allowed to watch a new DVD until I enter it into a database. Kind of like a CD database, I keep track of thing by Disc - Track - Chapter. Which is useful. I'm currently making a custom trailer DVD-R and it's really easy to see exactly which title:chapeter I need to rip to get the trailer I want.

Bob Pierce

Stunt Coordinator
After reading all the posts on this thread, I wanted to chime in with the following thoughts, which I haven't seen discussed yet:

I use DVD Profiler, and to me, the features of the software, many of which have already been mentioned here, are only part of the reason why. The main value in this program, IMO, is the community-maintained database that supports it. With over 150,000 titles, this is a great example of how a community of users can collaborate via the internet to create a resource for the benefit of all. When someone finds a new piece of information about a title, a new Easter Egg, correction, etc., they can upload it to the community database, and everyone in the community can benefit from this new information. Like the software, the community database isn't perfect, but by and large, it does a pretty good job of being self-policing and self-correcting. That's definitely a lot of data-gathering work I wouldn't want to do all by myself!

I also rely on the central DVD Profiler data store as an off-site backup for my collection, and one that can be accessed from anywhere I might be (assuming an internet connection, of course). Because of the hybrid online-offline nature of the application, if Intervocative Software should go away at some point, at least I'll still have over 180 MB of disc data and cover images with my local copy.

So, to me, the large and active DVD Profiler user community is the best thing about the software, and the reason I'd probably never go with a homegrown application, even though I have the skills to create one.

$0.02,

- Bob P.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation482
Recent bookmarks