What's new

What do you guys do with your old TVs? (1 Viewer)

ChrisRuh

Stunt Coordinator
I'm in the market for a new RPTV, but need to get rid of my old set.... which made me wonder, what do the rest of you guys do with your TVs when you upgrade? Sell them outright? Keep them in the basement? I imagine you can't get much money for a TV that is 6-7 years old.

I'm at the point where I'm almost ready to give my old set away just to get it out of my house. Too bad you can't trade it in like an automobile.

Jean D

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jean D
all my old tv's were tube tv's. If I can sell it for at least a hundred or more I sell it, otherwise I give those to friends/family if they need one. if its a older rear-projection you can take an ad out in a paper, or ask around to see if someone wants to buy an affordable one. typically a kid between 17-24 who would want a big screen for video games would be willing to spend a couple hundred if its in good condition.

John S

Senior HTF Member
I actually was able to sell my old 46" GE RPTV for a decent price last winter. So it can be done. But, with that said, giving it away to somebody you like that will get good use out of it, is probably worth more than you get for it in the end.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Yes, it can be done -- but you won't find any takers, say, here! :)

Whatever you do, however, don't take the old RPTV to a public dump. Call local agencies to find out where you may safely unload the set. The same would go for old computer monitors.

Jerome Grate

Senior HTF Member
When we stayed at the Ronald McDonald house last year for my son's surgery, they had a RPTV that needed some serious work and attention. Pretty old model, and I was thinking that it would be nice to have a company like Best Buy or other type store donate a t.v. The reason I make this point is because I'm pretty sure there are some facility than needs a t.v. and keeping in line of what was said earlier. Dontation the t.v. to organization that needs it is far more rewarding than selling it for cash.

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
When the moving guys came to deliver my new 65"WS RPTV about three years ago one of them asked me what I was going to do with the old 55" 4:3 RPTV.

I said: "sell it". He replied: "How much you want for it"?
"Make me an offer, I'll turn it on for you to look at it" I said.

"400 dollars"? He offered. Sold! I replied. He came back with the dough and picked it up.

But that was an unusual stroke of luck.

Julian Reville

Screenwriter
I want a HDTV so bad, but I just can't force myself to give up 2 perfectly functioning analog sets:

Panasonic Prism 27" made in 1988 that I have in the bedroom; this is the first TV I bought when I graduated vet school, and it has never given me any problems.

Toshiba 61" RPTV in living room bought in 1997. I had it calibrated and cleaned once, and it's been very reliable.

Until one of them dies, I'm stuck with NTSC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks