What's new

What do YOU do with DVDs you no longer want? (1 Viewer)

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
With a little bit over 400 DVDs so far, my collection of DVDs that I no longer want (either because I hate the movie and I bought it blind, or because I upgraded to a special edition) is almost up to 40. I tried selling them on ebay, and on the selling/trading thread here at the HTF, but that didn't work. I guess that many people don't like the movies that I'm trying to sell either. What do you guys do to get rid of the movies you no longer want? 40 DVDs are taking a huge space on my DVD shelf, and I could use that precious space to store DVDs that I love!

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Re-sell.

I have a stack of 8 DVDs waiting to be sold. (Whenever I remember to put them up for auction on amazon)

However, don't go through the trouble of trying to re-sell something like Madacy's Metropolis. You might as well use as an expensive coaster.

Devin U

Second Unit
I will do a couple of things. First, post on the trade boards. I use the trade boards here sometimes, but most often, I use dvdtalk.com. Their trade boards seem to be a little more active, and you'll find many of the members who frequent the trade boards here over there as well. And when I cant get rid of them that way, I will usualy check out sites like skinnyguy.com or spun.com. They buy and sell used DVD's. since their is no store to pay for, less overhead and they usualy pay a little more that stores in your town may. These sites are good for trades. Ive never sold to spun.com (only bought), but at skinnyguy.com they will ship out the selections you want first and send you prepaid packaging to send the dvds youre selling back. I wouldnt go through either if you want cash though, as they only pay about 50-60% of thier trade value in cash. If I want cash, I will first place a free classefied on Audiogon.com or if I want it now, I will go to the Wherehouse or one of the other places around me that buy used dvds. And when all else fails, fleabay or the pawn shop.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
I try and resell as well. Most of the time I can, but sometimes there is just no interest. I either accept it as a drawback of the hobby or give it to a friend/family member.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Sell to friends. And if that doesn't work, and I really want to get rid of the movie, I take them down to my local pawn shop and unload them for $3-$4 per movie. I know that is not a lot, but it is better than them sitting just sitting there. Really the only time I sell movies is when a new special edition is coming out with better picture quality and better audio, like A Christmas Story and A Christmas Vacation. Hey anybody want my old copies???:)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Usually I pawn them at a local non-chain DVD shop. Average about $10 a disk, depending on the title.

Kenneth English

Second Unit
I give mine to friends or relatives who want them.

I tried selling some stuff on eBay one time but it was all such a monumental pain-in-the-ass for such an insignificant return that I've sworn off that path. I don't know how so many people have the patience to mess with re-selling stuff online.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Yeah, I think it is crazy that people spend the time on e-bay trying to sell old dvd's. Unless they have a lot of dvds they are getting rid of. It is not worth the hassle. And I can't beleive that a pawn store is giving you $10 a dvd, I mean they are going to turn around and sell it for $12. Thats not much of a profit to a pawn store.

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
I have over 30 DVDs I want to get rid of but it's not worth the effort for me to sell them on e-bay either, especially since most of them are DVDs that have been re-released as special editions.

I'm not sure how much a used DVD store would give me but I don't expect it to be very much. I've been giving a few to friends & family, thankfully they aren't as obsessed as I am in having the newer edition.

rin

Stunt Coordinator
I have plenty of friends and family with 4:3 TV's who get donations every time a disc gets re-issued with a new anamorphic transfer. Otherwise, I try to find trades for films I haven't seen yet.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Half.com is a heck of a lot easier for run-of-the-mill discs than eBay. But if you have an OOP disc of some value, eBay is where you'll get top dollar. Most of my extras/discards end up on half.com just for the hassle factor.

JohnnyHK

Stunt Coordinator
If you're in a more philanthropic mood, don't forget about your local library. It's a great way to make sure they are well stocked with OAR DVDs!

BrianP

Supporting Actor
I use Half.com to get rid of my DVDs. It's a lot easier listing and selling than using Ebay. I can usually get rid of just about anything as long as they are priced competitively with other seller's listings of a particular title.

John_Berger

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I think it is crazy that people spend the time on e-bay trying to sell old dvd's. Unless they have a lot of dvds they are getting rid of. It is not worth the hassle.
That's an absolutely ridiculous notion.

Knowing that a special edition "Monty Python: The Meaning of Life" is coming out, I sold my existing DVD and got back more on eBay than I paid for it. Apparently, a lot of people don't know that an SE is coming out.

Once you make an HTML template for your DVDs, all that you have to do is go back into it, edit what needs to be edited, and post it. It's not a hassle at all unless you make it a hassle for yourself. :rolleyes

Zane Charron

Second Unit
I second JohnnyHK. I give quite a few of my unwanted DVDs and CDs to the library. I figure the use that people will get out of them is far greater than the few bucks you'd get for selling them. Unless you're really strapped for cash.

Libraries are a wonderful thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks