What's new

What do those little silica packets do? (1 Viewer)

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I can't believe this thread is still alive!

That explains why I've been having such a craving for salsa of late though...

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This thread is alive because silica doesn't absorb threads.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Lara's with high silica content are more tasty AND nasty!
(I don't know about viscous and vicious.)
htf_imgcache_33585.jpeg

(click on me!)
Cees

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Shipping silica packets across the ocean was a difficult task since they would absorb water in transit. This problem was solved with the invention of the packet schooner , whose speed would deliver dry silica packets wherever they were needed.
htf_imgcache_39500.jpeg

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Not too long ago, my wife and I took our boat out on the lake not realizing that I had a small silica packet with me. The people that lived along the lake were pissed.
htf_imgcache_39501.jpeg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Jimi C said:
htf_imgcache_39503.jpeg

What do those large silica packets do?
Anything they damn well please! ;)
I opened a packet of bacon bits recently and there were two silica packets inside instead of just one. Makes me wonder if silica reproduces via asexual mitosis?
But, whatever...bonus silica! :D

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Da-amn, Nick. Been a LONG time. And you return to finally solve this mystery for us. /img/vbsmilies/htf/laugh.gif

drobbins

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
For those who missed it in the Avatar contest thread, there is information about a plant on Pandora that thrives on Silica:
Tibineus azureus
The geode was named for the geological formations of the same name, which are crystal-filled rock cavities prized by collectors. This small, cone-shaped plant has a brilliant shine that varies from bright blue to green along the exterior to pale lavender along the inside of the cone. The hard, abrasive texture of the plant is due to the presence of silicates throughout its tissues. The geode has an affinity for silica, which is absorbed from weathered rock and incorporated into the plant body. The crystalline structure of these minerals causes the brilliant multicolored shine of the geode when it bioluminesces. (Read more) Young geode plants are abrasive in texture but still fairly flexible. They are collected and used as scouring implements for cleaning duties and as abrasive sandpaper for various kinds of construction. Older plants are quite rigid and hold water after a rain. They are collected for use as jars and cups for carrying, holding, and drinking liquids.
Silica uses on other planets.. makes the mind wander...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.