1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What do those little silica packets do?

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Dave Poehlman, May 27, 2003.

1. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Well-Known Member

2. Bob Graz

Bob Graz Well-Known Member

Yes they absorb moisture, but for how long? I read once where someones home was damaged when his two silica packs that came with his shoes, expelled all of the water back into the home. Those silica packs are dangerous. Just remember in the event of sudden silica moisture expulsion that that your sofa cushions may be used as flotation devices.

3. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Well-Known Member

Bob

Were those silica packs still in his shoes and soaked up all the sweat from his feet??

That would be nasty....

"What's that smell??"

"Oh that, just the condensed odor and moisture from my feet that exploded after my silica packs overfilled from two years of use"

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm

Yep, gotta watch out for that explosive re-humidification. Make sure you're insured if you're going to keep silica around the house for any length of time.

5. Mark Barnhill

Mark Barnhill Well-Known Member

I just called my homeowners insurance to check and see if I had silica coverage. They immediately cancelled my policy. [​IMG]

6. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Well-Known Member

I thought they were free samples of chicklets!

7. Armando Zamora

Armando Zamora Well-Known Member

I've saved all my silica packets and have used them in many other applications around the house and abroad. For example:

1) When we have overnight guests, instead of providing everyone with their own bath towels, we give them silica packets. We've found that one silica packet can endure up to 5 showers/baths before having to discharge the moisture from them.

2) On trips, I take along an entire ziploc baggy full of silica packets. After showering, I place the silica packets on my hair to quickly dry it. I have more space in my suitcase now that I don't need to pack a hairdryer. Works like a charm. Also, on camping trips when we're in the middle of the forest, everybody tells me that my hair always looks great. Shhhhhhhhh...little do they know my little secret.

3) I line the inside of my pillow case with silica packets. Soaks up an entire night's worth of drool. My pillow smells as fresh as when it first was pulled from the packaging. Mmmmmmmm, Mmmmmmmm!!!

I have many more uses for the silica packets, but alas, I am tired and must prepare my pillow for my evening slumber.

8. BrianW

BrianW Well-Known Member

Brian
    Well, after some, uh, experimentation, I think I can say for sure that these things are not addictive.

I gotta go. For some reason, all of a sudden, I'm really, really thirsty.

9. Jim_F

Jim_F Well-Known Member

When used in place of antiperspirant, used silica gel packets must be discarded in an appropriate biohazard container.

10. BradK

BradK Well-Known Member

Great ideas guys ! And here I thought I was the only smart one recycling those silica packs.

I like to save them up all year. Then when winter arrives I'll empty a pack or two into my gas tank each time I fill up to absorb any condensation that occurs. Hav'nt bought methyl hydrate in years.

A couple times we ran out of diapers when we were a little short on dough. I was a little hesitant at first, but thought what the hell. Sprinkled a few on some duct tape, and badda bing ! Works for quite a while, until the duct tape starts wearing off.

11. Mark Brewer

Mark Brewer Well-Known Member

I was walking down the street and there was a puddle of water and a little old lady who could barely walk approached. She had her nice white dress shoes on. She said "young man would you mind taking your jacket off and laying over the puddle so I can walk through?"
    "Mamm I'll do better" I said... THankfully I purchased two hard drives last night.. I took out my two silica packets and sprinkled them on the puddle, instantly it dried up..
    And she walked accross on dry land.....just like....
    Um Lord we'll drown
    Okay moses you know all those little packets I told you to use to pack with the loot from Egypt?
    Yes Lord
    Throw them in the Water
    It's a Miracle........[​IMG]

12. David Preston

David Preston Well-Known Member

Those silica packets could have saved the insurance companies millions and millions of dollars. We had some flooding here in Ga only if everyone would have saved their silica packets and put them around their house when the water got close. I know you get these for free in some stuff you buy but its hard to collect a lot bcause you have to use them from time to time. Is there any place you can buy a box or bag full and how much are they? I would like to have a bunch for emergencies.

13. John Watson

John Watson Well-Known Member

Mike Barnhill, ever heard of Ice 9? [​IMG]
    Toyota, do they still make the Celica?
    As this is HTF, maybe we should all watch "True Grit"

14. Tony Whalen

Tony Whalen Well-Known Member

15. Jim_F

Jim_F Well-Known Member

Bulk quantities are available if you know the right people, but believe me, you don't want to get involved with the Silican mob.

16. Kevin P

Kevin P Well-Known Member

Only silica addicts buy the stuff in bulk, much like bubble wrap addicts. [​IMG]

17. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    My homeowners insurance covers salsa but not silica.

Oh yeah, Mark... I found your sock this morning. It was packed with the new hard drive I bought. It smells fresh and is completely free of moisture. I can't say the same about the sock, though. It was full of salsa.

18. Keith Paynter

Keith Paynter Well-Known Member

If your packet of silica fully retains its maximum capacity, how do you drain it - with another packet? :wink:

19. John Watson

John Watson Well-Known Member

this thread is getting, er, supercilious...

20. MarkHastings

MarkHastings Well-Known Member