What's new

What do modern receivers do with DTS HD-MA 2.0? (1 Viewer)

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I have a 1999/2000 vintage Onkyo TX-DS777 receiver (looking to upgrade soon however) and recently popped in a Blu-ray disc with a DTS HD Master Audio 2.0 soundtrack (it was Honeymoon in Vegas). My receiver recognized the DTS codec but the audio was only coming out of the left and right speakers. I had assumed the receiver would treat this like a Dolby Digital 2.0 soundtrack and decode a matrixed surround track using the Dolby Pro-Logic decoder but apparently not.

What do mondern receivers do with DTS HD-MA 2.0? Can they decode the Dolby Stereo tracks from older movies that only have DTS 2.0 audio?

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I've got the "Honeymoon in Vegas" Blu-ray and my Sony hi-def receiver switches to pro-logic with this and other DTS-HD Master Audio 2.0 soundtracks.

It also occurs to me that you could probably get your older receiver to kick into pro-logic, if you temporarily set your Blu-ray player to output DTS as PCM rather than bitstream.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Hmmm... I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to give it a shot and see what happens. What I was thinking about doing is running the analog line level L & R audio signal from the Blu-ray player to one of the unsused analog audio inputs on the receiver which should probably accomplish what I'm after.

I'm seriously considering the purchase of a new Onkyo and I'm curious how those handle DTS HD-MA 2.0.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I just got the onkyo 270 and it can decode the DTS 2.0

I have it set to thx so then it can read the 2.0 as 7.1

Jacob

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
I recently purchased a new Onkyo TX-NR3008 and set it up this past weekend in a 5.1 channel configuration. One of the first things I did was grab my Honeymoon In Vegas Blu-ray disc to see what my new toy would do with it. I set the surround mode to Dolby Pro-Logic II and the receiver decoded the surround track just like any other 2 channel source. Mystery solved!

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
As I mentioned in the "Secret of NIMH" thread, my Pioneer which I bought last year won't matrix-decode any DTS-HD tracks, and I just got a Blu-Ray with a 2-channel DTS-HD track which should be played in Pro-Logic. Wonder if they'll have a firmware upgrade to enable this? If not, they should just use PCM for 2-channel tracks.

Todd Stout

Screenwriter
Before I bought my TX-NR3008, I was going to run an analog RCA cable for left and right line level audio from my Blu-ray player to the unused CD input on my old TX-DS777. That way I could switch over to the CD input and have the audio decoded in Pro-Logic surround when playing the discs that I have in DTS-HD MA 2.0. I never actually tried it but I assume that would work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks