What's new

What do I need to receive HD signals? (1 Viewer)

Jeff_N

Agent
I have a Sony KP-61HS10, and I just found out that a local station about 25 miles away just began broadcasting this last Sunday in High Definition. (They did not advertise this fact until after the Superbowl!! That is another issue.) What is the minimum I need to receive the signal? I'm really not wanting to get a dish receiver, but I want to receive OTA signals.
What do you recommend?
1) Buy a HD Dish receiver anyhow because of pricing.
2) Get a OTA receiver to connect to my TV.
Any other suggestions would be welcomed...

Timmy

Stunt Coordinator
the minimum you need is an HDTV OTA tuner (STB) and a TV antenna. Right now, I think all STB's also include a dish receiver as well..... whether you need it or not. I cannot speak for ther RCA DTC 100 STB, but the DishNetwork model 6000 (with optional OTA module) requires you to be a Dish Subscriber inorder for the OTA HDTV tuner to operate... it cannot be used solely as a OTA HDTV tuner.
------------------

Joel Smith

Agent
rca's dtc-100 does not require you to have a subscription to get OTA high def. Nice piece of equipment for the price. I think many forum members would agree with me.

Jeff_N

Agent
Okay, $550 for the DTC-100, $140 for the converter, $30 for the antenna.
Is it worth $720 to be able to watch just one station in HD? (CBS)
I need another DSS receiver, so the DTC-100 would do that, but a Hughes receiver is just $50, so the difference is $680.
Come on, someone convince me!
Is there a Sony HD-DSS receiver coming out soon??

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Is there a Sony HD-DSS receiver coming out soon??
Yes, but it's more expensive than the DTC-100, which is the least expensive OTA-DirectTV receiver on the market. The advantage to the Sony is that it has component outputs, while the DTC-100 has only RGBHV outputs.
------------------

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Is there anyway to test if you can really receive a strong HD signal ? I live ~ 20-30 miles from DC and Baltimore which both have HD. I would hate to invest the OTA cash to find out the signals are too weak in my area.
Unfortunately DISH and DirecTV are not an option due to the nature of my wooded lot.
Thanks

Mike I

Supporting Actor
Samsung just released the str-t150 which is an hd decoder box only for ota signals...It outputs either 720p or 1080i your choice and msrp is 699...
------------------

Drew_N

Grip
Jeff - I think some people have been called up DirecTV and asked to speak with their customer retention department. Once you finally get transfered there, I believe if you mention the words "Dish Network" enough they sometimes will give rebates for upgrading your equipment. Don't know if this is completely true, but I've read it a few places.
------------------

Jeff_N

Agent
>> Is there anyway to test if you can really receive a strong HD signal ? I live ~ 20-30 miles from DC and Baltimore which both have HD. I would hate to invest the OTA cash to find out the signals are too weak in my area.

Stephen Tu

Screenwriter
I thought the Sony was RGBHV capable? At least according to their web site it is. Is this not the case? On one of their direct-view HD I saw the HD inputs labeled for both YPrPb and RGBHV usage (3 connectors dual usage, + 2 separate H & V sync connectors); there is probably some switch back there or menu selection to pick between the two. I'd assume the same is true of the HS10 models. Then you wouldn't need the converter (which ought to be $100, not $140), just a VGA breakout cable, maybe $20.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks