1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

What color for screen?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Michael Botvinick, Apr 22, 2004.

1. Michael Botvinick

Michael Botvinick Well-Known Member

Hi Gang,

I just got done preparing my wall. I would like to paint it now. Can you recommend a color from Home Depot or Lowes that I can try? I have a very bright LCD projector. Will be using it primarily for movies. Is there a special process any one has used to minimize brush/roller marks in the paint?

Thanks for the advice!

-Michael
    mbotvinick98@earthlink.net

2. Bob Maged

Bob Maged Well-Known Member

Check out the "Screens" area at avsforum.com -- lots of posts there from screen painters.

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
    By all means, check out AVS. I would like to point out that there is a lot of screen expertise here also and referring one elsewhere on its own may not be the best protocol sometimes.

That said, what projector do you have?

4. Ron-P

Ron-P Well-Known Member

Ron
    For my LCD I am using the Lowe's Valspar Gray Plank Interior Flat (code: 101-21.5, 107-1, 116-1).

I've tried several of those popular mixes over at AVS and have yet to find one that gives better blacks than that of the Valspar.

I just bought a can of the Home Depot Silverscreen. I'm going to test it as well and then that's it, no more testing.

5. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Well-Known Member

Neil Joseph
  6. John_D

John_D Member

Apparently I am not allowed to post URLs yet, but I just bought some paint from Goo Systems.

If you want the url, you can email me and I will give it to you.

At any rate, I have not yet received the paint but I expect it early next week and will hopefully have some feedback by the end of next week. Cost of the paint is around $200CAD for both Base and Top Coats combined (not each).

The website also has a calculator designed to tell you how much paint you require. Based on screen size and projector type.

My DIY screen (idea c/o Neil Joseph) is a sheet of Formica glued (with contact cement) to a sheet of MDF. (Pretty heavy screen, that sucker ain't movin'). Overall size is 96".

7. ChadLB

ChadLB Well-Known Member

Also some people use some of the following:

Behr Ultra white mixed with Behr Pearlesence

Misty Evening by Glidden or some other gray color by glidden.

There are others as well.