What's new

What Classic Musicals do you most want WB to release on Blu? (1 Viewer)

What Classic Musicals do you most want WB to release on Blu?

• Total voters

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
ahollis said:
With the death of Esther Williams today we should mention Dangerous When Wet and Easy To Love as Blu-ray hopefuls.
I didn't know she had died. I love Esther Williams. I think I'll watch one of her movies tonight instead of a newly arrived disc.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Williams ought to be immortalized in hi-def. She was and remains unique among the Hollywood golden age stars - a swimmer who became quite a stellar actress, comedian, singer and one of the most glib and adroit raconteurs about the bygone era ever to pen a memoir.

Her best work including Bathing Beauty, Million Dollar Mermaid and Easy to Love ought to be pushed to the front of the line. They are delightful musicals, iconic and unabashedly sentimental - in a good way!

She did have her clunkers, though. I would never expect to see Skirts Ahoy! or Pagan Love Song on Blu. Although I never expected WB to release Joan Crawford in Torch Song to legitimate DVD before films like When Ladies Meet - which is currently ONLY available in a lousy, faded and careworn print on the Warner Archive MOD fast track to Frisbee discs. What a stinker! And Joan in black face of all things. Shockingly bad.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I would add:

THE BANDWAGON
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (both the CinemaScope and Flat versions)
ANNIE GET YOUR GUN
ON THE TOWN
IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME
GOOD NEWS (both versions)
SUMMER STOCK
FOR ME AND MY GAL

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Eastmancolor said:
I would add:

THE BANDWAGON
SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS (both the CinemaScope and Flat versions)
ANNIE GET YOUR GUN
ON THE TOWN
IN THE GOOD OLD SUMMERTIME
GOOD NEWS (both versions)
SUMMER STOCK
FOR ME AND MY GAL
I love all of those choices, and in honoring the career of the late Esther WIlliams, let's add Take Me Out to the Ballgame which has some gorgeous use of Technicolor and a very tuneful score.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
What's the use of this poll if you leave off Yankee Doodle Dandy and the Astaire-Rogers films? I'm not sure what it's purpose is if its premise is so fatally flawed.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Joe, in earlier posts it was stated that the original list pertained to 'Dream Factory' titles (MGM).Also, titles that were assumed to make it to Blu were left off (such as The Band Wagon - which had gone through the Ultra-Resolution process).YDD and the F&G titles have been mentioned as highly likely candidates for Blu, and are also not MGM

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
David Weicker said:
Joe,in earlier posts it was stated that the original list pertained to 'Dream Factory' titles (MGM).Also, titles that were assumed to make it to Blu were left off (such as The Band Wagon - which had gone through the Ultra-Resolution process).YDD and the F&G titles have been mentioned as highly likely candidates for Blu, and are also not MGM
Sorry. Someone should have amended the op.

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
I'm actually hoping for the Bandwagon for Christmastime. Dayum, I love that movie.

Everett S.

Movie King (formally a projectionist)
Real Name
Everett
BJQ1972 said:
The Pajama Game
Boy u should see what they gave NetFlix to rent or stream on this title! It is dark & out of focus. I told them about it years ago & it stays the same???

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
What a shame. The Pajama Game on my DVD at least looks bright and focused -- my copy is a 'flipper' with widescreen on one side and Academy on the other .. I always opt for Academy on my projector screen.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
David Weicker said:
Joe,in earlier posts it was stated that the original list pertained to 'Dream Factory' titles (MGM).Also, titles that were assumed to make it to Blu were left off (such as The Band Wagon - which had gone through the Ultra-Resolution process).YDD and the F&G titles have been mentioned as highly likely candidates for Blu, and are also not MGM
Still no word on a release of Yankee Doodle Dandy, *sigh*. I hope politics are not preventing its release.

John Skoda

Second Unit
How about ANY of them?

What's happened to Warners. They used to be the best about getting catalog releases out.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Mark-P said:
For me it would be Show Boat, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers, On The Town and The Band Wagon.
Exactly the four I would ask for first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks