What's new

What Classic Musicals do you most want WB to release on Blu? (1 Viewer)

What Classic Musicals do you most want WB to release on Blu?

• Total voters

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
Edward Weinman said:
...it's the "later" part that worries me...how many years now have we been told that it's being worked on...(as I said in another post...I'm not getting any younger)...
Well, they're moving too slowly with the MGM musicals. Maybe it's because they're not really Warner titles and they don't have adequate vault access to these movies?? I would assume that Warners owns everything there is to own in terms of original negatives and prints from the MGM library. I don't know.

They're going so slow, that at this point, I wish they'd start releasing the movies in collector's sets, rather than the meager one or two titles a year we've been getting. They can do a Judy set, a Fred set, a Gene set, a Howard set, on and on. Anything to get more titles out, faster.

And what galls me is that the MGM library was very, very vibrant in the 80s/90s era of vhs. But not on dvd, and certainly not on blu. Does Warners assume that all the old fogeys have these movies on vhs and won't upgrade?? I don't get it.

Bob_S.

Screenwriter
In addition to Nick's list I would add all the Fred/Ginger films. Ethan, maybe WB thinks most of those old fogeys are dead?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Well, I bought them ALL on VHS. I rebought them all on DVD (or DVD-R sad to say). And I'll buy them again on Blu-ray when they bother to release them.

I know they take work. I know their elements are not always in peak condition and must be worked on to get them to real quality standards. But they have to know there is an eager audience still out there waiting for them (and getting more impatient by the year).

Edward Weinman

Stunt Coordinator
...why is there such a lack of information on the studio's part...

...why do they bother securing the vast film libraries if not to allow the public access...

...all this second guessing re: when/where is very tiring and depressing...

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
The one thing about Warner (I picked this up from listening to the Warner Archive podcasts) is that they have extremely high standards for anything designated to Blu-ray. What's good enough for MGM/Fox and Olive Films would get rejected by Warner and relegated to MOD DVD instead. While this is certainly commendable, it is also a bit frustrating because I'd love to see some the classic MGM Technicolor musicals on Blu-ray even if they weren't as perfect as could be, but the folks at Warner are perfectionists so we just have to wait until they can do them right.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Just a few off the top of the head
All the Fred and Ginger movies (Swingtime, Top Hat, Gay Divorcee and Flying Down to Rio first of course...)
For Me and My Gal
The three Show Boats
Two Weeks with Love
Annie Get Your Gun
Kiss Me Kate (3-D and regular)
The Desert Song .. Gordon McRae (would this be Warners?)
Silk Stockings
The Band Wagon
The Harvey Girls
In the Good Old Summertime
Three Little Words
Till the Clouds Roll By
Love Me Tonight (Jeanette MacDonald, Maurice Chevalier)
Monte Carlo (Jeaette MacDonald, Jack Bucnanan)

I already have Daddy Long Legs and Funny Face on Blu ray, but I guess people with non-multi region players would welcome those as well....

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Edward Weinman said:
...why is there such a lack of information on the studio's part...

...why do they bother securing the vast film libraries if not to allow the public access...

...all this second guessing re: when/where is very tiring and depressing...
I think all of us been around the home video market long enough to know the reasons. Some of it might be studio-related, but a lot of it has to do with the lack of retail options available to market their BD products. The home video consumer base has a vocal minority on the internet screaming for more titles on BD, but in reality, probably isn't as large a consumer base as we think there is. Furthermore, I think a lot of these musicals are not up to snuff PQ-wise when it comes to BD releases. Each studio has their standards and those that have released substandard products have been lambasted here and other internet boards. What do you think would happen if they release more musicals on BD with similar substandard issues? Also, don't get me started about what streaming does to the home video market as it pertains to BD releases. Most people only have so much discretionary monies for movies.

We make a lot of comments on what the studios should do as every one of us has an opinion. Frankly, we have zero or little data to back up our stated opinions. I would think that the studios like any good business company would have data to support their marketing strategy. Or maybe not, I really don't know as it's possible that some studios if not all are run by less than competent executives. However, I have to assume they do know what they're doing as I can't see any company turning their backs on making more monies as profit is king.

Lromero1396

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Leon Romero
classicmovieguy said:
Warners are severely-underestimating the interest generated by the next generation of classic movie fans.
As a rather young movie aficionado (at least I appear to be so in comparison to many others on this forum), I agree. The studios in general I feel need to release more catalog. I'd like to see Warner release a lot more in the way of classics.
Robert Crawford said:
I think all of us been around the home video market long enough to know the reasons. Some of it might be studio-related, but a lot of it has to do with the lack of retail options available to market their BD products. The home video consumer base has a vocal minority on the internet screaming for more titles on BD, but in reality, probably isn't as large a consumer base as we think there is. Furthermore, I think a lot of these musicals are not up to snuff PQ-wise when it comes to BD releases. Each studio has their standards and those that have released substandard products have been lambasted here and other internet boards. What do you think would happen if they release more musicals on BD with similar substandard issues? Also, don't get me started about what streaming does to the home video market as it pertains to BD releases. Most people only have so much discretionary monies for movies.

We make a lot of comments on what the studios should do as every one of us has an opinion. Frankly, we have zero or little data to back up our stated opinions. I would think that the studios like any good business company would have data to support their marketing strategy. Or maybe not, I really don't know as it's possible that some studios if not all are run by less than competent executives. However, I have to assume they do know what they're doing as I can't see any company turning their backs on making more monies as profit is king.
Sadly, profit seems to have become the only incentive behind home video in recent years. Also, some films need to be released due to their classic status or due to historical importance regardless of the condition of the source.

Also, a general opinion of mine is that classic films need to be released on BD and whatever other formats in order to keep them alive. With the coming generations being less and less cinematically cultured, more efforts need to be made to market the classics to the consumer.

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
I would add KISMET, DEEP IN MY HEART, BELLS ARE RINGING, and (though not technically a musical) THE GREAT ZIEGFELD to this list.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
I give up on Warners...they have releasing "never on Blu Ray" discs at a snails pace this year. Warner Archive blu??? The Warner Archive 3 titles this year is it??? I'm skeptical of any more New Blu's of musicals this year............

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Some additions
The Pajama Game
Lullaby of Broadway
by the Light of the Silvery Moon
On Moonlight Bay

And re 'Gigi' ... I'd hardly describe the Blu ray as 'appalling' as I find it a solid improvement over a very disappointing DVD. There are some moments when I feel there's been a saturated red explosion but I;ve read there are technical reasons for that rather than sloppy procedure.

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
"SUMMER HOLIDAY" is an underrated MGM Classic with a brilliant score by Harry Warren.
I fear the original elements maybe in poor condition as both the Laserdisc and DVD look pretty average, so a Blu-Ray might be out of the question.
But, if a Blu-Ray is possible then bring it on.

My number one choice for Blu-Ray though is "Annie Get Your Gun"
But hey, any Musical made between 1930 and 1960 (and a few after that) would be welcomed with open arms and opened purse.

Does anybody know if Warners now hold the video rights to Paramount's "Half A Sixpence"
That is a title that deserves a Blu-Ray release.

Doug.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Doug Bull said:
"SUMMER HOLIDAY" is an underrated MGM Classic with a brilliant score by Harry Warren.
I fear the original elements maybe in poor condition as both the Laserdisc and DVD look pretty average, so a Blu-Ray might be out of the question.
But, if a Blu-Ray is possible then bring it on.
Yes, if it were possible, I think it would look magnificent with its Technicolor and wonderful period designs. But the film has never been a success, and I wonder if its elements just weren't paid attention to over the years. I know "The Stanley Steamer Song" is one of those tunes that gets stuck in your head if you ever hear it once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks