What's new

What class SD card to get for decent video capture? (1 Viewer)

tacio25

Auditioning
Real Name
Stacey Hernandez
I have a question for you all. I have a new Canon EOS T2i DSLR and it is awesome! The picture quality is amazing and leaves me with so much potential when editing with Lightroom!

The question I have is, what SD card is required for me to get some decent video? Disregard the brand(unless it really matters), but I read somewhere that when recording video using my camera, I should have at least a Class 6 or higher SD card. As of now I have an 8 gig SD card with no marking on it regarding class so I'm assuming its either a Class 0 or Class 1. Using this card only lets me record for a few seconds then shuts off automatically.

I want to know what you would recommend in terms of SD card size and Class? I see deals online for 16 and 32 gig Class 10 SDHC and want to know if they're legit in terms of price and quality. Amazon has a bunch for sale both new and used.

So the real question is, what size SD card to get and what Class to get? I want to be able to record movies that range from 30 seconds to at least 5 minutes or more.

Any help in this matter will greatly be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Stacey

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I'm interested in this too. I have a cheap DXG camcorder and using a Transcend 8gig class 6. It constantly shuts down when I first begin filming with an empty card. Depends on the quality setting, anywhere from 30 seconds in to 3 minutes in... stops with a message "File Error". Eventually I can record a lot after filling the first part of the card with little short films. Very annoying since I like to film myself doing karaoke and there is no indicator to tell me when it has stopped. So I'll kill a song and then see it only got a minute or less of it. I'm planning on getting a much better camera but I'm sure going to have to do some shopping to know what to get. Canon is a definite possibility.

anyway, will wait to see if anybody posts about there experiences. I've used a Panasonic utility on my PC to reformat the card but it doesn't seem to make any different how it's formatted.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I've also had good experiences with SD cards (both class 6 and class 10) from Kingston and Patriot.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
Not necessarily a "bad card", but the card may be slower than the camera firmware expect it too be. Or: demands it to be.

I recently had to stop using a Transcend CF card ("133x"), because one in each three images had errors (barely visible, at the low end, but the files were reported as "broken") and replaced it with SanDisk 30MB/sec (and 60MB/sec) cards. Errors gone.

FYI: 133x = 20MB/sec roughly. But these are CF cards.

Common SD card speeds:

Class 2 2 MB/s
Class 4 4 MB/s
Class 6 6 MB/s
Class 10 10 MB/s

If your camera manual specifies a recommended speed, I personally would go for just the safe side of that number (or the least expensive faster cards).

Cees

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I forgot to post this in this thread, I took advantage of the 2x Extreme 16g CFs for $120, great deal for cards that are that fast: http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?t=3061649

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I think mine recommends Class 6 cards of 8gigs or lower. what I have should work fine but it don't. I'm planning to get a better camera so I'm probably going to put that DXG up for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks