What's new

what cd are you embarrrased to own (1 Viewer)

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
O.K., let's see. One immediately comes to mind:

Army of Lovers Massive Luxury Overdose: Does anyone know this CD? I bought it in 1993 when I was big into Beavis & Butthead. Army of Lovers had a video for the song entitled, "Crucified", and Beavis and Butthead made fun of it in one episode. I found the music so ridiculous and Beavis and Butthead's commentary so amusing, that I bought the CD as a goof. I still have it. Boy, does it suck. Uh-huh-huh-huh. Absolutely horrid, and the bandmembers were freaks as far as I am concerned.

ChrisP

Agent
It's a toss up between the Barry Manilow box set or Tim Curry's Greatest Hits

I do the rock.

Luke_Khuc

Stunt Coordinator
omg the list will be long:

new kids on the block

aqua

yani

celine dion

modern talking

white lion

2 unlimited

tlc

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
luke - you're only the second person i've ever heard of who knows about "modern talking"! :b

Mike Broadman

Senior HTF Member
Ted, count me as the third. Back in the day, my sister and mother were really into them. Ugh, the memories *shudder*. Now I know why I went away for college and became a metal head.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
that's totally funny mike. college is when i sort of got into that whole asian-euro-disco (is that the correct classification?) thing.
i had a vietnamese buddy in college who had a TON of that stuff. i suppose since i'm a closet disco fan, that that stuff naturally appealed to me...
but these days, i'm glad i only have one actual cd. heck talking about it just make me want to go home and listen to it...of course very quietly so no one else will overhear. :)

Joseph Young

Screenwriter
I found [army of lovers'] music so ridiculous and Beavis and Butthead's commentary so amusing
In one scene during that video, the hairy guy is in the tub, a la Prince, and Butt-head says, "Drain the tub! ah-he, he, he."
:laugh::laugh:
Music like Shatner's "Transformed Man," Nimoy's "The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins" and Pesci's album are probably all considered 'kitsch chic' so I wouldn't be too embarrassed.
I once owned the first Lords of Acid album. Despite the (almost) saving grace of the song "I Sit on Acid," the album is a complete embarrassment.
Imagine an Austrian/German Schwartzeneggar voice, rapping in a low voice over bad techno, saying: "Let's talk about lllovve... moonlight valks... secret whispahs, love notes... rrrrrouuugh sssex!!"
Joseph

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
I've got a good one, and I am not really embarrassed because I actually enjoy the music.

John Tesh: Live at Red Rocks

I was watching the local PBS station when they were televising the show, and I started watching it to see how bad he would be. Well...I ended up looking for the CD the following day.

Mike Hutman

Supporting Actor
Hey Rob, don't feel bad. I got snow to.

With Informer and Girl, I've been hurt how could I go wrong. How sad I was when I was young.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
fate no more
I'm wondering if you were trying to say "faith no more" here. Which makes me wonder, if that was what you meant- if you actually owned the album or if you were just taking a quick opportunity to dis on a band you don't actually know much about.
Since there is no band called "fate no more" to my knowledge- again I can only assume you meant "faith" and didn't even know enough about the band to get the name correct.
For the record, Faith no More is actually a quite excellent band- especially when viewed "in context". The first Mike Patton FNM record is a bit on the cheesy side- but when you take into context their influences, the scene they emerged from, and the fact that Patton was a teenager who was asked to join a major-label metal band without a real idea of how to sing-- well it all kinda makes sense.
Faith No More's second Mike PAtoon record, ANGEL DUST, is absolutely brilliant- whether viewed as metal or hard rock, or even as a punk rock album. The album, released in 1992, was borrowed from for releases by other bands well into the late 90's. Although they are rarely given credit- some of the more interesting hard rock of the last 10 years owes its inspiration directly to the work of Faith No More in the early 90's.
Not to mention the fact that Mike Patton's other bands (Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Lovage, Tomahawk, etc) also continue to be groudbreakingly original and often copied and borrowed from-- the world of rock music seems to be populated with dozens of bands who owe their ideas directly to a project involving Mike Patton.
I just had to respond to that post- because it really did seem out of place-- not only because Ryan didn't even get the band name correct-- but because in the scale of CD to be embarrassed about, that one seems a bit odd- especially if you have any knowledge of heavy rock music.
-Vince
NP: Avail: Dixie

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Vince,
I own a few Faith No More CDs including Epic, Angel Dust, and their greatest hits disc, as well as several imports and promo discs, and am not the slightest bit embarrased about it. :) Faith No More rocks! Back when I bought Epic in '89, I must have played it every day for a couple of months.
Joseph said:
In one scene during that video, the hairy guy is in the tub, a la Prince, and Butt-head says, "Drain the tub! ah-he, he, he."
I remember that! I used to tape Beavis & Butthead, but I don't know if I have that episode. I'll have to check. If I find it on a tape, I'll probably fall off the couch laughing. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Ryan L B

Supporting Actor
alright, dont have the disc, but modern rock radio only plays one song by them. do any of you know what it is called. the chours sounds like gandr and the rap part is like red hot chili peppers

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
alright, dont have the disc, but modern rock radio only plays one song by them. do any of you know what it is called. the chours sounds like gandr and the rap part is like red hot chili peppers
The song you are referring to is probably EPIC from the album THE REAL THING- which at this point is more than 13 years old (almost as old as the person poking fun at it I might add).
Once again- by modern standards, certainly much about that single is rather cheesy-- but you must take into account context:
there were certainly no bands like this in the mainstream, the concept of "rap" style over metal was an underground phenomenon, the RHCP material you compare this to came out of the same scene at the same time (RHCP & FNM toured together multiple times in the late 1980's). Add to the fact that the singer in the band got the job essentially by accident and was a 19-year-old kid fresh out of high school... I think the fact the they recorded a single still played regularly on the radio a dozen years later in a climate of throw-away pop tunes says a lot.
FNM certainly inspired many other bands - some of them interesting, some of them shitty. But either way, I think it is very fair to say much of the heavier modern rock music was shaped in part by FNM's Real Thing and Angel Dust Albums.
I still find it a bit surprising in a thread you specifically started about "albums you're embarassed to own" you would make such a silly comment about a band that not only do you know very little about-- you don't even own the album! And I would also say that if you think Mike Patton sounds like Axl Rose, I would urge you to listen to more records.
-V
NP: Engine 88: Flies and Death and Stuff

Ike

Screenwriter
Wait, wait...how can you be embarrrased [sic] to own a CD you don't have?!?

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
Wait, wait...how can you be embarrrased [sic] to own a CD you don't have?!?
A true mystery of the ages.
At least now he plans to purchase it, maybe after doing so he can be authentic in his embarrassment (or embarrrasment).
-Vince
NP: Weezer: Pinkerton

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks