What's new

What can we do about Warner Bros? (1 Viewer)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The big issue I have is concerning the "ultimate editions" of their classics. While I appreciate the effort, making Casablanca only a $40 gift set is ridiculous. Give us an option to go for a standard release like the HD-DVD and the UE. Now that I have BluRay, I'm irritated that I can go out and buy Casablanca at the same price as 2001 or Robin Hood '38.

If this is how Gone with the Wind and The Wizard of Oz are going to be handled, then I'm just going to Netflix instead. Is Citizen Kane only going to be available in a $40 gift set with a miniature Rosebud sled, snow globe, and reproduction of Kane's "standards" list and a jigsaw puzzle?

PLEASE give us the option. Seriously, I'm pre-ordering Casablanca the minute it's announced as a reasonable $20 normal release like the rest of their classics.

To chime in with the audio issues, I don't see what's wrong with including PCM tracks for mono films. Criterion is doing it, so why not?

Aaron Garman

Second Unit
I think Warner has done fairly well in their Blu efforts. Sure, it is annoying to have to select the HD track every time, but it's a trade off I'll take over instant menus, trailers, ads, etc.

Too bad we can't program our players to just output the lossless track no matter what, like in the days of LaserDisc. I loved being able to just switch my processor to listen to AC3 or PCM if I wanted. No need to change the audio on the disc itself.

I'm telling you, I'd pay an extra $5-$10 from ANY studio if they guaranteed no menus, no ads, and automatic selection of lossless audio. Sure, include all the extras you want but I hate that when I pay $30 for a disc and then have to get forced to watch commercials. This isn't a DVD, it's a Blu Ray. The studios should reward their customers for paying that extra few bucks for perfection.

Grandpa LaserDisc is spinning in his grave right about now.

AJG

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Ron,

that's GREAT to hear. Of course, WB has said things like this before... and then went ahead and authored discs (Speed Racer as an example) that didn't have lossless. And when Warner says "all" do they *really* mean "all" or do they just mean "all titles that we think are best showcased with TrueHD". I'd like to see titles like A Christmas Story and Cool Hand Luke get TrueHD just like the big-boys with 5.1 state-of-the-art mixes.

But your comments sound like the source was pretty adamant. Fingers crossed that the days of lossy-only audio on WB HD titles is coming to an and... and having the lossless track default during disc play would be a welcome bonus.

dave
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Looking to another region might be an option. Most Warner titles are region free, and Casablanca has been released in a normal blu case in Europe, and probably in other areas as well.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW

Hmmm... Good point. I've been waiting for a standard BD release of this one also.

Also, in some other cases like certain franchise series boxsets, eg. Austin Powers, you might be able to find a dealer who'd break up the set and sell the BDs individually. I noticed that inetvideo is selling the Austin Powers set broken up like that -- and I'm tempted to go that route just for the first movie.

_Man_

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks