What's new

What can UltraViolet do to compete with iTunes and DMA? (1 Viewer)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
justinNeal said:
Another trick about Apple, they do things late sometimes, but they tend to do them really really well. The NFC, other companies had tried to implement NFC and it's just never caught on that well. They've tried digital pay systems and they never caught on....but look at Apple Pay. I'm not saying it'll last, or be the eventual best, but look at EVERYONE backing it. They got tons of banks and businesses on board, so when they launched it wasn't a half-way attempt that sucked and people forgot about. I don't think enough people are ready to switch to just an on demand system for their home entertainment.
Apple Pay and digital streaming seem to have one thing in common:
The companies and tie-in corporations are CONVINCED they'll "take over" within the next five years, without taking into account the subtleties of why it's not catching on with the public at the moment.
Leaving aside poorly managed or untrustworthy companies, there must have been some reason why the public wasn't excited about using their Neat New Cellphone to pay for things, when a debit card had worked just as well for the last ten years. (While the card companies were trying to convince us "Nobody uses cash to pay for things anymore!")

Basically--and we've been over this a hundred times--the industry, who doesn't really use these things themselves, never really figured out why Blu-ray suddenly caught on like it did and replaced DVD, let alone why DVD caught on and replaced VHS, or MP3's caught on and replaced CD's. They just see people glued to their cellphones, and notice nobody watching TV, and make the obvious assumption that we must have a new love in our lives.
So, the companies believe, hoping not to be caught out this time, any new technology that looks workable and about to break out of vaporware is now an instant threat, and we must love and embrace our new overlords in time for their arrival: 4KTV will replace 3D! Digital streaming will replace hard disk! Cellphones will replace all other forms of interactive device!
Uh, really? I must have missed the memo.

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Walter-S_NC said:
The adoption of streaming media for in-home playback has gone main stream. Satisfaction ratings are high. The only real question left is if consumers will go al la carte with a static library as a replacement for their physical library, or if the smorgasbord approach offered by Netflix and Amazon Prime will be the new method. This is YTBD.
Great post Walter.
I dont believe that the market will be one way or the highway in its approach to the consumer. I believe both with coexist just like they do in most every other market. There are people who prefer to rent and those who choose ownership. I think it will be a balance of the two. That said if you look at percentage growth for 2014 Electronic Sell Thru of video is doing nicely.

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
I tend to agree.For me, I like my revolving content, but also like a static library. I do not think I am alone. I guess time will tell.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks