What's new

What can UltraViolet do to compete with iTunes and DMA? (1 Viewer)

P

Patrick Donahue

As a firm user of UV (600ish titles) I still don't understand why the CFF is important to me. Is it just that it will enable me to download? I can't imagine downloading 600 HDX files, nor do I see the need when they stream just fine. I'm sure I am missing something about it...

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
It may not be that important to you, but it is important to many. I have read a lot of complaints about UV on message boards, and the most common one from Apple or Amazon users is that there aren't standard downloads. Not everyone has fast internet at home, so they may not be able to stream HD reliably. Up until a few months ago, my internet was ATT DSL, and it was only fast enough to stream SD, and even then it would occasionally buffer. But I could download a 4 GB file in a few hours. there are many other benefits of the CFF.

[*]Ability to store uvu files on a portable hard drive for safekeeping and portability
[*]Ability to copy uvu files between computers, tablets, smartphones, and NAS devices.
[*]Assurance that you have best quality version of the movie, and the correct aspect ratio.
[*]Ability to play uvu files in standard players, such as Windows Media Player, VLC, XBMC, and others.
[*]Ability to travel overseas and still be able to play your files. The proprietary apps such as vudu still prohibit streaming overseas.
[/list]

Towergrove

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sarah
Joshua Clinard said:
It may not be that important to you, but it is important to many. I have read a lot of complaints about UV on message boards, and the most common one from Apple or Amazon users is that there aren't standard downloads. Not everyone has fast internet at home, so they may not be able to stream HD reliably. Up until a few months ago, my internet was ATT DSL, and it was only fast enough to stream SD, and even then it would occasionally buffer. But I could download a 4 GB file in a few hours. there are many other benefits of the CFF.

[*]Ability to store uvu files on a portable hard drive for safekeeping and portability
[*]Ability to copy uvu files between computers, tablets, smartphones, and NAS devices.
[*]Assurance that you have best quality version of the movie, and the correct aspect ratio.
[*]Ability to play uvu files in standard players, such as Windows Media Player, VLC, XBMC, and others.
[*]Ability to travel overseas and still be able to play your files. The proprietary apps such as vudu still prohibit streaming overseas.
[/list]
Lack of CFF is one of the main reasons why many people, especially collectors and videophiles (the ones who bring the studios $$$) are waiting to get into Electronic Sell thru. That and lack of special features which itunes is changing up now and i expect UV to follow shortly.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I remain skeptical that that's true. There seems to be a vocal group of folks who keep harping on it, but I sincerely doubt the introduction of these files is going to do anything to improve the UV situation. There remain many bigger problems with the scheme.

P

Patrick Donahue

As a user the only 3 things I can think of that I would like worked on are:1) The only game in town for UV is Vudu. Target and Flixster exist but offer nothing, CinemaNow exists but I can't watch it on my TV. Amazon, Apple, or something else (Google?) would be welcome. Or here's an idea - how about an actual UV app? Redeem, buy, watch, all in the same place. The studios wouldn't even need to give 30% to a 3rd party. 2) MGM needs to UV-ise it's titles. Like now, please. Although I do have Robocop in UV. No idea why.3) I'm fine with Disney's whole DMA thing, just please add it to Vudu (or add UV to iTunes) so I can get everything from one service. That is the point after all.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I have 3 episodes of Battlestar Galactica and they will not play with media player! I am sure since apple is so controlling it is a matter of having to use Apples approved media player and I bet you have to be logged into iTunes to watch it which in my book is stupid.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Yes, iTunes is a DRM system. You can't take DRMed media and play it in whatever app you want. Just like you can't buy from Microsoft's Xbox system and play it in iTunes.

satam55

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ike
LOL at this thread! DMA is completely USELESS as long as it's exclusive to iTunes & iOS.Can someone actually explain what's DMA useful for right now??!!

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
DMA aside, if the iTunes vs. DECE is evaluated, the comparison is un-achievable.

iTunes EST of MPAA content is primarily designed as a method for mobile playback on an iOS device.

DECE is designed from the ground up as a method of replacing physical media with digital for in home and mobile playback of MPAA content.

DECE uses Nustar as their backend data store. This is the same company who stores carrier of record information for the national SS7 telephone network and facilitates LNP operations among carriers. DECE choosing them is an indication that the systems are intended to be around for a very long time.

The adoption of streaming media for in-home playback has gone main stream. Satisfaction ratings are high. The only real question left is if consumers will go al la carte with a static library as a replacement for their physical library, or if the smorgasbord approach offered by Netflix and Amazon Prime will be the new method. This is YTBD.

iTunes had its day. So did Napster. iTunes inertia from digital sales of RIAA content has made them the defacto leading store front for MPAA EST. However, it was not built from the ground up to do this and their market share has been falling like a rock. Early on, they owned an 80% market share. That is down to below 50% now. If looking at the sub-set market of EST purchases for in-home playback, their market share is even lower since it needs an AppleTV set-top box to operate.

IMHO, DECE and iTunes are not really competitors. The exception is the sub-set of sales Apple does for in-home playback on their AppleTV set-top boxes. By my estimation, Apple and DECE are at a parity and DECE is soon to eclipse them.

This holiday season I think will prove that out. After all, all of the UK was just lit for UV playback a few weeks ago.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Since Wal-Mart launched Vudu InstaWatch, vudu's web traffic has increased dramatically. I don't know how to measure a percent increase, since we don't have a number of daily hits, but since the beginning of October it has gone from 11,000 to 6,000 in Alexa traffic rankings.

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
I have seen web site metrics used to position VUDU, but few Vudu users watch content from the web interface. It was built as an iTV streaming app.Flixster on the other hand is a web site offer.

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
If you can find numbers for domestic iTunes MPAA EST sales that are from AppleTV end points, let me know.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
"iTunes EST of MPAA content is primarily designed as a method for mobile playback on an iOS device."
"few Vudu users watch content from the web interface"
"The adoption of streaming media for in-home playback has gone main stream"
"iTunes had its day"

Apple hasn't noted Video milestones since 2008. For the record, iTunes sold movies for 3+ years before Apple had a mobile device capable of displaying them. First milestone, one million videos sold reached in 2005, iPhone introduced in June 2007.

etc...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ITunes_Store#Video

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
Sam Posten said:
"iTunes EST of MPAA content is primarily designed as a method for mobile playback on an iOS device."
"few Vudu users watch content from the web interface"
"The adoption of streaming media for in-home playback has gone main stream"
"iTunes had its day"
fair enough.

#1 = for sure there is no playback on android devices. For playback in-home requires the purchase of an AppleTV set-top box for every TV in the home, or at least the primary TV. Since roku sells more units then AppleTV and that is just one method for in-home play back of DECE content, it can be assumed that Apple, Corp does not have a leading market position in the domestic market for in-home playback. Every TV being sold today can playback DECE content. To playback iTunes purchased content requires shelling out an addition saw buck for each TV you wish to view it on.

#2 = I participate on the Vudu form. Taking that as a sampling from conversations, the number of times someone mentions watching a movie on a computer through a web browsers is almost non-existent.

#3 = The number of articles I can reference are legion. If you wish, I will provide a google search link.

#4 = I agree this is a matter of opinion. However, I do have a good statistic to hang my hat on. Walk through the movie isle of any retailer. The purple UV logo is exclusive on half of the studios products. The other half have iTunes as an option for digital copy redemption. iTunes holds no (that is a big fat zero) exclusive digital copy studios left. About two years ago, they could claim exclusive rights to almost all studios.

Their loss here is nothing short of historic.

With their loss of the high ground and continued erosion of market share, I feel confident in expressing my opinion that the writing is on the wall for iTunes. 86% of the global cell phone foot print is android. iOS = 13%. AND, they do not have a leading market presence for in-home playback. In chess terms, that is called check-mate.

LINK:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0ArkG4kvNdSYAdDd0SDRlVGp1eEhmaTFEZEFKZDZvX2c&usp=sharing

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
You're entitled to your opinions and predictions, just not your own facts =)

My current belief is that digital distribution of all media continues to be one where no winner will be declared and consumers will happily utilize multiple services and suppliers. UV's goal of unifying digital movies will continue to be just as fractured as it is now for a long time and they could have prevented this future by being great at launch, as it is now there is no chance of that. And once again, market share ain't everything.

We'll see.

justinNeal

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Justin Neal
You can use iTunes on any PC and stream that to a TV, allowing iTunes playback on more than just Apple TVs and iOS devices....

Disney has pretty heavily alligned themselves with Apple as well, and when it comes to home video, Disney is a big time player. It makes sense that companies don't want to align themselves with only one company, that's just a poor business decision....but comparing to the logo's on the box at the video store is not the only comparison...I don't purchase physical discs anymore, I just buy movies directly on iTunes (or buy codes on the forum) therefor I don't care which copy the disc comes with, I'm buying mine straight digital. I've yet to see a new movie I can't buy on iTunes...in fact, many new movies are available on iTunes weeks before they hit the shelf.

I don't know that Apple needs to have the majority market share...while they would like it, they are more heavily supported by longterm, full blown Apple customers (I have an iPhone, iPad, Macbook Pro, Apple TV, etc) and love the fact that everything is right there tied together on all my devices. I know not everyone is an Apple fan, and that's fine, I don't expect them to be...but I also don't consider Apple out of the game, especially on the digital media front.

Walter-S_NC

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Walter H. Schulze III
I guess I missed where I was not factual. Here is an objective stat. DECE is the most rapidly adopted format in MPAA history. It is just four years old and has over 12k titles available. No other home media format had this adoption rate.BRD has been out for ~9 years and is ~4k. That is only 1/3 of the titles available in UV format.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks