What's new

What Blu-ray movies/scenes are best to showoff the full range of your HT system? (1 Viewer)

Bill_Boston

Stunt Coordinator
If you wanted to show off the full potential of your HT system to friends and family, what movie/scene would you select?

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
Ah, the ever evoloving Demo Selections!

For the most recent scene I'd choose the plane crash scene from Knowing. The blu-ray's PQ is superb and that scene starts off very quietly when Nic Cage is in his car talking on the phone and then ultimately when the plane shows up, the crash gets loud and the bass hits hard.

Any IMAX scene from Dark Knight would work.

Peter Overduin

Supporting Actor
Unarguably (:), the flight and subsequent storm/crash scene in Flight of the Phoenix is astonishing for both sound and visual. Check it out!

Heinz W

Second Unit
Originally Posted by George_W_K

Ah, the ever evoloving Demo Selections!

For the most recent scene I'd choose the plane crash scene from Knowing. The blu-ray's PQ is superb and that scene starts off very quietly when Nic Cage is in his car talking on the phone and then ultimately when the plane shows up, the crash gets loud and the bass hits hard.
That was the exact one that came to mind for me too. That scene is just amazing.

Southpaw

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason
My 5 faves that I can think of at the moment are....

1. Train scene in "Wanted"
2. Ending battle sequence in "Transformers"
3. Last 15 min of "Max Payne"
4. NYC chase sequence in "The Bourne Ultimatum"
5. Freeway chase sequence in "Matrix Reloaded"

urbo73

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ryan Campo
1. The Robe
2. Patton
3. Gangs of NY
4. T2 Skynet Edition - to show quick load times of Blu-ray discs

BrianSiano

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian Siano
_Baraka_: Unquestionably a must-have.

_2001: A Space Odyssey_. I got it yesterday, and I'm seeing details I haven't seen since a 1974 relrease.

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
Baraka is a very good demo disc, I agree. I always show The Dark Knight (opening, but the chase sequence is also very good) or How The West Was Won (raft sequence).
Planet Earth does the trick too. For some reason any scene with the polar bears do very good with women, at least in my experience.

Paul Arnette

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Brian Borst /forum/thread/290407/what-blu-ray-m...the-full-range-of-your-ht-system#post_3585305

Brian L

Senior HTF Member
I would nominate Ratatouille. Obviously the picture is stellar throughout, but the sound on that one really rocks my world.

Two scenes in particular; the lightning strike on the roof, and then the cottage scene where the old lady lets loose with the shotgun. If those two scenes do not make you jump out of your seat, either your system sucks, or you can no longer fog a mirror. ;-)

Seriously, with a capable system those two scenes are among the most dynamic bits of audio I have ever played this side of the Telarc SACD of the 1812 Overture.

Brian

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by urbo73 /forum/thread/290407/what-blu-ray-m...the-full-range-of-your-ht-system#post_3585177

I would nominate Ratatouille. Obviously the picture is stellar throughout, but the sound on that one really rocks my world.
Don't forget the sewer rafting scene. Of course the picture is fantastic.

I would also nominate PJ's King Kong and single out the T-Rex Fight scene. Lots of ambient jungle sounds, crashing, and screaming, oh my. The PQ is just fantastic.

Shad R

Supporting Actor
Incredible Hulk is my vote. Amazing picture, the sound will rock your sub, and the sound effects are crystal clear.
2nd vote for King Kong.
If you want an example of how good an older movie can look and sound, Top Gun should do the trick nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlohaTiger
Recent bookmarks