What's new

What aspects of American culture are often misunderstood? (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
When speaking with Americans I am always careful not to make these sorts of joking comments about the US as they tend to provoke somewhat defensive reactions. Even this thread has some examples of this.
As an American, I can take jokes. I have no problems with joking, I just feel a lot of the 'joking' is not joking at all. That's why we have issues with what is considered a 'joke'.

When you joke about our sports or the vast majority of McDonalds, I'll laugh right along with you, but when you consider our language and culture to be moronic, I'll take offense as much as the next guy.

Rob Gillespie

Senior HTF Member
I am always careful not to make these sorts of joking comments about the US as they tend to provoke somewhat defensive reactions.
Well, I think virtually every nation - or indeed religion - on earth does the same thing. It's fine to take the piss out of your fellow countrymen, but godhelp a foreigner who does the same thing.

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
"Imagine you had 20 minutes to describe every news-worthy item occuring in the entirety of Europe. Imagine you had 10 newspaper pages to describe the same. Imagine you had 25 magazine pages, not including ads, to describe a weeks worth of the same. The population of the US is, roughly, the same of Europe. Now what about the whole world?"
Trust me, we Brits could easily spend all our news broadcasts on Britain (or Europe). But we don't. The Brit media really do try to cover what's going on in the world. We don't expect the USA to have an intimate knowledge of British (or European) affairs, but, with the greatest respect, a *little* bit more knowledge would be handy.

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
We don't expect the USA to have an intimate knowledge of British (or European) affairs, but, with the greatest respect, a *little* bit more knowledge would be handy.
I find this amusing being posted in a thread that is discussing what other nations do not know about US culture:D .

andrew markworthy

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, I posted my response, was doing something else, and then honestly, truly, cross my heart, thought of just what you said and came back to amend my post to comment on the irony. Ah well.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
A few comments Andrew: ;)

(f) We find it fascinating that you can't understand the rules of cricket, but then have an electoral system that makes them child's play in comparison. Actually if you look it up, you will find that Cricket has Laws, not Rules

(h) You are far more interested in the Royal Family than we are. You would be confusing us with the Aussies—check out their women’s magazines and the recent decision to not become a Republic.

(i) We cannot understand how you can have managed to make the game of rugby even more boring than it already is by turning it into American football (and incidentally, we think you're big girl's blouses for wearing all that protective padding). Spoken like someone who can’t figure out how to beat the Springboks or Wallabies, much less the All Blacks.

(l) Your spelling system is designed for people with a lower IQ. Actually the last time I looked it up, specialization contains a ‘zed’. By the way to be fair, I looked it up in the OED.

(o) We are pretty clued up on basic American slang, but you don't seem to want to reciprocate. Otherwise, you wouldn't continue to Christen kids 'Randy'. Though in fairness, you do, after several years, seem to becoming aware that 'Willy' can mean more than an abbreviation of 'William'. I’m off with my trouble and strife, to hit the frog and toad.

(all this from a ‘septic’) :D

Jason_Els

Screenwriter
Here in New Zealand, foreign visitors often joke about the number of sheep, our accents, our population and geographical isolation or any number of other things. We always laugh and no-one is offended.
That may have been the case but your countryman, Peter Jackson, has changed all that. Every single time I discuss The Lord of the Rings trilogy with anyone they never fail to mention the :eek: STUNNING :eek: landscape of New Zealand. My grandparents have traveled to every continent in the world save Antarctica, hundreds of countries, and seen landscapes from the Amazon rainforest to the summits of the Himalayas and no place on this entire planet shocked them with its beauty more than New Zealand. Any jokes about sheep and what-have-you have been silenced by the sheer awe in which the beauty of New Zealand is being held in the eyes of those who see LOTR.

I know that as an American I have been privileged to see comparable sights in the Rockies, the west coast rain forests, the Everglades, the central prairies, the Mojave, and the coasts but New Zealand is like nothing I've ever seen. Get ready for the tourists because as soon as the economy recovers we're gonna to be a comin' in DROVES. Just be sure to put a McDonalds and a few strip malls right where Edoras and the Shire were filmed so we'll feel at home :D .

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I think Americans are more sensitive because we're rapidly becoming acutely aware of the extreme measure of contempt the rest of the world seems to hold us in.
Good comment. Americans always get criticized from every angle...Are there any other countries that get flack from EVERY other country in the entire world?

David Baranyi

Stunt Coordinator
Good comment. Americans always get criticized from every angle...Are there any other countries that get flack from EVERY other country in the entire world?
Israel almost. I will say no more, as discussing the political situation in the Middle East is inappropriate on this forum.

Ashley Seymour

Supporting Actor
However, I often heard the reason the Americans don't like soccer (the biggest sport in the rest of the world) is because they find soccer to be a slow, boring sport where nothinh ever happens.
I think the soccer playing countries find it extremely confusing that American football players engage in so much violence on the field as opposed to soccer play. They all know that violence at a sporting event is reserved for the fans.

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Get ready for the tourists because as soon as the economy recovers we're gonna to be a comin' in DROVES.
No need to prepare: they're already here! Americans have discovered that it's a nice place to visit, cheap and extremely safe. With no animosity toward Americans, they don't even have to sew a maple leaf patch onto their jackets. ;)

Adam

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
New Zealand is great, was there for a couple weeks back in the late 80's. Had a great time on both islands. Everyone was super friendly, beautiful scenery, would LOVE to go back.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
Hum, I wonder why...
Maybe because the US intervene in everything and everywhere (and often set the rules)... The most visible person in a classroom, in the office, in a sport, is often the most critized...
Same goes for countries. Belgium is a small country, has no influence on other countries except in Congo, thus, not that many people "hates" us or critize us... France is a bigger country, has a greater visiblity, thus is a "better"/easier target than Belgium. I think it is as simple as that...

Cheers,

Vincent

John Watson

Screenwriter
Maybe the British regret losing the Empire.

Or Americans don't admit they have one.

PS to David B - Have you heard about herding cats? :D

Keith Mickunas

Senior HTF Member
Good point Lew. We play Canada in a couple of sports.

Of course, it is a lot easier to play other countries in sports when it only takes a few hours at most to get there, and you don't have to fly across an ocean or anything.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Maybe because the US intervene in everything and everywhere (and often set the rules)..
And this is my fault why? If you asked many Americans, they disagree with the way the government here works, so why is it ok to give us flack? I am not responsible for US intervention everywhere - my government is.

In fact, most Americans feel sympathy for the people who live in these countries we occupy. We try not to blame the Iraqi people for the actions of Sadam, yet the entire world has no problems with blaming every single American for the actions of our president :rolleyes:This is why we are so sensitive toward this hatred toward America - it's not most of our faults.

My favorite bumper sticker: "Don't blame me, I voted for the other guy" :D

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
No need to prepare: they're already here! Americans have discovered that it's a nice place to visit, cheap and extremely safe. With no animosity toward Americans, they don't even have to sew a maple leaf patch onto their jackets.
I can highly recommend a visit to New Zealand for anyone who has some vacation time. I have spent a great deal of time there (mostly working), but about a year ago my wife and I drove all around the South Island (ferry over from Wellington). We drove for a week, including the outskirts of Christchurch and never once came across a traffic light.

Absolutely a stunning country--and some of the best Sauvignon Blanc you will find anywhere. Also I have had some reasonable Pinot Noir from a district outside Wellington, but otherwise, I’d give their reds a pass.

Vincent Matis

Second Unit
Real Name
Vincent Matis
the entire world has no problems with blaming every single American for the actions of our president
Nobody said the rest of the world was populated by intelligent people... :D
Everything is seen through a magnifying glass...
The anti-US protests you might see on TV is a small fraction of people from outside the US.
Exactly the same way as a few American morons/lunatics are tarnishing a whole country...
Not the entire world hate you , a small fraction of the non-US world is hating the US because of the actions of a small fraction of US politicians/soldiers/...
If the entire population of the rest of the world was really hating you, there would be no US left...

Cheers,

Vincent

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks