What's new

What are YOUR top ten DVDs of 2004? (1 Viewer)

Frank*C

Grip
So hard to trim it to ten.....

1 Ikiru
2 Rules of the Game
3 Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection
4 My Darling Clementine
5 The Film Noir Classic Collection
6 A Man Escaped
7 Diary of a Country Priest
8 John Cassavetes: Five Films
9 The Battle of Algiers
10 The Grapes of Wrath

Travis_S

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Travis
1. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King Extended Edition
2. Star Wars Trilogy
3. Spider-Man 2
4. Ultimate Matrix Collection
5. Seinfeld Seasons 1,2, and 3 Gift Set
6. Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World 2-Disc
7. Star Trek: The Original Series Seasons 1,2, and 3
8. 24 Season 3
9. Field of Dreams 2-Disc Anniversary Edition
10. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2003) 2-Disc

To be updated (hopefully) after Christmas

Dave S.G.

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
David
For film quality - subjective, of course (some films I really loved I've left off since the DVD release left me a bit cold). These include only what I've bought (damned money).

American Splendor
Good, Bad and Ugly SE
Grapes of Wrath
Ikiru
Mystic River
Out of the Past (or just as easily Asphalt Jungle)
Shawshank Redemption SE
Short Cuts
Star Wars: the Empire Strikes Back
Station Agent

---
Favorite Guilty Pleasures:
Jonny Quest
Batman TAS
Simpsons S4

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
My #1 for the year is

The Alfred Hitchcock Signature Collection

Items 2 - 10 in no order are

2. Cary Grant Signature Collection
3. Meet Me in St. Louis
4. Abbott and Costello Volumes 1 - 3
5. Tarzan collection
6. Warner Noir Collection
7. Looney Tunes Volume 2
8. Dick Van Dyke Show Seasons 3-5
9. Charlie Chan Chanthology
10. Ma & Pa Kettle Volumes 1 & 2

EDIT: if non region 1 discs can be considered, Universal's UK mega Laurel and Hardy box set would be competing for the top spot. Over 20 DVDs of pure hilarity, restored and looking great.

Steve

Ira Siegel

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Ira Siegel

Hi Aaron,
Yes. To my eyes Greedo clearly got off the first shot. Even though diminished for me, the whole Star Wars Original Triology is still a great set.

Elijah Sullivan

Supporting Actor
Most In Love With
THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut (Collector's Edition)
Runner Up: Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World (Collector's Edition)

“Hello, Gorgeous!” (The Picture Quality Award)
The Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition
Runner-Up: The Chronicles of Riddick: Unrated Director’s Cut

“Turn It Up!” (The Sound Quality Award)
Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World
Runner-Up: The Return of the King: Special Extended DVD Edition

"Clear Your Schedule" (Most Addictive Special Features)
The Return of the King: Special Extended DVD Edition
Runner-Up: THX 1138: The George Lucas Director’s Cut (Collector’s Edition)

"You Make Me Feel Smart" (Favorite Commentary Track)
THX 1138: The George Lucas Director’s Cut
Runner-Up: Persona: Special Edition

"Oooh, Pretty!"(Favorite Packaging/Cover Design)
THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut (Collector's Edition)
Runner-Up: The Return of the King: Special Extended DVD Edition

“I Could Stare At You For Hours" (The Menu Award)
The Punisher (2004)
Runner-Up: Kill Bill, Vol. 2

Time Well-Spent (The Most Impressive Restorations)
Color: The Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition
Black & White: Persona: Special Edition

“But They Promised!”
Blade Runner: Ultimate Edition
Runner-Up: Dune: Collector’s Edition (R1)

“Well, At Least They Tried..." (The Great Failures/Disappointments)
The Indiana Jones Trilogy

This List Won’t Be Finished Until I’ve Spun:
Garden State
Anchorman: Unrated Extended Cut
Raging Bull: Collector’s Edition
La Dolce Vita: Special Edition
Gone With The Wind: Anniversary Edition

My Overall Favorites 2004
1. THX 1138: The George Lucas Director's Cut (Collector's Edition)
2. The Star Wars Trilogy: Special Edition
3. The Return of the King: Special Extended DVD Edition
4. Master & Commander: The Far Side of the World (Collector's Edition)
5. Collateral
6. Persona: Special Edition
7. Ikiru: Criterion Collection
8. Matchstick Men (2003)
9. Man On Fire (2004)
10. Dawn of the Dead: Unrated Director’s Cut (2004)

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
My Top 10, with some brief thoughts on each:

1. The Battle of Algiers: Criterion Collection

One of Criterions best efforts to date, along with one of the most comprehensive assortment of supplements I have seen in any DVD release. A superb transfer and two additional discs of material on the film and the real life events that inspired it. Also an important film with much relevance today, and which has inspired a whole generation of filmmakers from Spike Lee to Steven Soderbergh. The documentaries and essays are worth the price alone.

2. Panic Room: Special Edition

Almost lost and forgotten among the many high profile releases of 2004, I don't think I have seen this on anyones Top 10 list yet. It took a while to be released and while many argue the need for such an extensive treatment of a film that was not a huge favorite with critics or audiences, it nevertheless did not stop David Prior from producing a phenomenal and exhaustive 3-Disc set of David Fincher's film that ranks along side the treatments given to his other two favorites, Fight Club and Se7en. Now, about The Game.....

3. Hellboy: Director's Cut

The theatrical cut was already a great film in its own, but the additional footage incorporated into this version makes it better, and the additonal two discs of documentaries and featurettes, along with isolated score w/ commentary (and a new commentary by Del Toro for this release) makes this one of the best comic book adaptions to date, and a stellar DVD that makes us wish more directors had this much committment to their films, the material they work with, or to the DVD format.

4. Lord of the Rings: Return of the King: Platinum Series Special Extended Edition

The foundation was already set from the previous two EE, so what was to improve for this release? 50 additional minutes that greatly improve the Oscar winning epic, along with two discs of appendices that conclude one of the greatest motion pictures (and trilogies) we are likely to see for decades to come.

5. Gone with the Wind: 4-Disc Collector's Edition

A stunning restoration of one of the most beloved films of all time, this is perhaps Warner's best effort to date for any release.

6. Master and Commander: Collector's Edition

A somewhat underrated film that was not overlooked by the Academy for its efforts (10 Nominations, with two wins), Peter Weir's excellent adaptation of two of Patrick O'Brian's novel's was not overlooked by Fox, who provided a stellar release complete with a superb transfer and one of the best audio tracks (DTS) to grace the format.

7. Dawn of the Dead: Ultimate Edition

Before remakes and re-imaginings became a Hollywood staple, George Romero created the definitive zombie film, endlessly imitated but never close to being equaled or surpassed. This release offers three cuts of the film, commentaries and documentaries, and everything a zombie fan (or horror fan) could want to know about this classic.

8. Dr. Stranglelove: 40th Anniversary Special Edition

A favorite of mine while I was growing up, I held off for a long time with purchasing it, waiting for the best possible effort to be made. The result? We still get no pie fight, but do get perhaps the best transfer of the film we are likely to see (in anamorphic that is, the R2 Japan Superbit beats it as far as multi-aspect ratio goes) and DTS and original mono to boot. So stop worrying and love it....

9. Star Wars Trilogy

They're not the films I grew up with or millions of others have cherished for years, but they will do. The restoration work from Lowry cannot be ignored, like the fact that Hayden Christensen wasn't even two years old when Return of the Jedi was made.....

10. The Ultimate Matrix Collection

Say what you want, the first Matrix redefined filmmaking and effects technology much like Star Wars did before it. But then, so did LOTR. The difference is, LOTR made more money and better films as the series progressed, not the other way around. But I won't beat the proverbial dead horse any more than it already has. It seems they tried to create the Alien Quadrilogy for 2004, and succeeded, only with the fact that the films in each series got progressively worse.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
In a rough sort of order:

Gone with the Wind
Around the World in 80 Days
Murder On The Orient Express
Aladdin
Lost in Translation
The English Patient
Chronicles of Riddick: DC
Kill Bill Vol. 1
Kill Bill Vol. 2
Showgirls: VIP edition (needed a vote from somebody, LOL!)

Hands-down Best Studio: Warner Bros

Simon Young

Stunt Coordinator
I didn't buy as many as ten this year, so my top 5 in no particular order:

1) The Return of the King: Extended Edition
2) The Star Wars Trilogy
3) Master & Commander: 2-Disc Edition
4) Dawn of the Dead '04 (Uncut)
5) The Iron Giant: Special Edition

I'm very much looking forward to next year though, with The Incredibles & The Village high on my wish list.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I agree with most that there is just no comparison to LOTR:RoTK EE.

It's everything a DVD should be. It's so incerdible that New Line is creating these sets for "us" (the DVD fanatics) by doing everything they can to make each release an absolute orgasmic experience. From the quality, to the bonus features, to the "collectibles" and right down to the packaging...

Whenever I get the latest LOTR EE DVD set, I look down on my entire collection because these discs remind me of what the others "could be". :D :emoji_thumbsup:

MikeHughes

Agent
My favourites this year:

Lord of the Rings: Return of the King SEE
Gone with the Wind SE
Clerks 10th Anniversary
Star Wars Trilogy
Matrix Ultimate Collection
The Good, the Bad and the Ugly SE
Master & Commander SE
The Name of the Rose SE (Region 2)
Cold Mountain SE
Dune: Special Edition (Region 2 UK)

Andy Patrizio

Stunt Coordinator
Not necessarily in this order

1) Ultimate Matrix Collection
2) RotK EE
3) Hellboy DC
4) Looney Tunes GC v.2
5) Master & Commander Deluxe Ed.
6) The Simpsons S4
7) The Good, The Bad & The Ugly CE
8) GoodFellas SE (finally!)
9) Star Wars Trilogy
10) THX-1138, if only for the documentary on American Zoetrope. It may actually beat Super Size Me among my readers as their choce for best documentary of '04.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Colossus: The Forbin Project
Iceman
Charley Varrick

Only kidding.

My favorite DVD of the year (FAVORITE) is Criterion's wonderful release of Georges Franju's masterpiece, Eyes Without a Face.

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugle SE

The General (France - region 2) The great unheralded restoration of the year. Features a brilliant original score by Joe Hisaishi.

The six Edgar Wallace box sets from Germany (four films in each set) - I haven't had more fun watching anything this year - the films are completely wacky and wonderful.

The twenty-two disc Laurel and Hardy set from the UK. Anyone who doesn't have a mulit-region player in this day and age does not have any idea what they're missing.

The Hitchcock Signature Collection - at long last The Wrong Man, I Confess, and Dial M For Murder. As an addendum: Dial M For Murder from Germany - the only time this film has been transfered widescreen and anamorphically enhanced for widescreen TVs. The framing seems absolutely perfect. There is some controversy to this, but if Rear Window is widescreen then Dial M was most likely framed that way too (both were shot in 1953 and released in 1954 - the studios all had dictums that films released in fifty-four would most likely be shown in 1:85 in many venues, along with Academy ratio screens, too. So, there are arguments for seeing both Dial M and Rear Window in both ratios. I couldn't believe how wonderful Dial M looked in widescreen -all that headroom that seemed to be there for no reason is now gone, but the framing never ever seems tight. Bravo to Warners Germany for giving the option.

david*mt

Second Unit
Here are mine in no particular order:

ROTK EE
Star Wars Trilogy
Spider-man 2
Master and Commander CE
Gone with the Wind SE
Simpsons S4
Simpsons S5
Aladdin
Kill Bill V1
Kill Bill V2

WillardK

Second Unit

Do the Wallace sets all have english subs? I have soundtracks for some of these and have been wanting to see them.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
They all have both English and German tracks, and English subs should you choose the German track. EXCEPT - one film in the first box is German only, no subs. And three films in box 2 are German only, no subs.

So, I'd recommend getting Volumes three, four, five, and six first - if you love the films, get volumes one and two. All films are enhanced for widescreen TVs (most in 1:85, although later ones are in 2:35), and are great transfers and complete - EXCEPT two films in box one are full-frame. Some of the later ones are in color, most are in black-and-white but have their wacky color title sequences intact. There are some extras on a few of the discs, along with really nice booklets in each box (in German, of course, but some nice photos and poster art). If you buy from amazon.de they're pretty reasonable - the older sets 1,2,3, and 4 are around thirty-five bucks (four films each) and the two newer ones which just came out two weeks ago are a bit over forty. It's so wonderful to have these after all the crappy PD full frame tapes and DVDs.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve

I totally forgot about this when I posted my list; shame on me. I will edit my original post.

This would be in my top 2. The set is outstanding. Excellent transfers, good prints, nice bonuses such as foreign language versions, and top notch packaging.

Steve

Artur Meinild

Screenwriter
1. Return of the King EE
2. Matrix Box Set
3. On the Frontlines (Disney treasures)
4. Spider-man 2
5. Return of the King TE
6. Star Wars Trilogy
7. Aladdin (platinum collection)
8. Dawn of the Dead (unrated)

Ray Chuang

Screenwriter
I can't think of a Top Ten list, but here are my favorites I've seen this year:

Lion King 1-1/2. A very pleasant surprise, especially since the whole release is in many ways a parody of the whole direct-to-video idea that Disney has been so infatuated with lately. If you know The Lion King pretty well, this DVD is for you. :emoji_thumbsup:

Star Wars Trilogy (Widescreen Edition). Sure, it's not the original look of Episodes 4-6, but what is there has superb picture quality and pretty good sound quality, too. The documentary on the fourth disc is definitely worth the price of this disc set.

Gone with the Wind Special Edition. Magnificent restoration with great sound and picture quality, and there are extras galore on this four-disc release.

Spider-Man 2 Superbit Edition. The second-most popular movie of 2004 gets an awesome Superbit DVD release with magnificent DTS sound track and superb picture quality.

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King Extended Edition set. Excellent picture quality, good sound quality (with a couple of unfortunate glitches), flat-out excellent commentary tracks, and the Appendices supplementary discs make this set worth the price. :emoji_thumbsup:

Aladdin Platinum Edition. Really nice quality picture and sound, a good addition to the various Disney Platiunum releases of the past few years.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks