What's new

What are your Top 5 LEAST favorite shows from the 70s? (1 Viewer)

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
ScottDombrowski said:
I think some of these comments are "disturbing on multiple levels!" You guys always manage to make it political! You denounce things like the Norman Lear shows, M*A*S*H*, Soap, or Medical Center, of all things, because of their heavy-handedness, supposedly one-sidedness, message, etc., but in doing that you certainly make your side clear!
I'll make one comment about this and I'm done.

I disagree with your assessment of prior comments. Frequently the shows you listed push political agendas or ideas with which I tend to agree, especially those from Norman Lear. That doesn't mean I like it being done by a TV show and I'm up front about not liking the Lear programs with the in-your-face politics playing a large role in my dislike of his series. I generally don't like *any* "message" type TV program whether it's liberal or conservative and have commented about several favorite shows that I stopped watching just as soon as that specter reared its ugly head. I watch TV to be entertained, *not* preached to and from what I read most of the guys here share that sentiment.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
...and so the debate about political messages in shows ends.

Both sides have expressed their views. There is no need to continue this
debate any further.

Anyone who does so will find themselves suspended.

Let's get back to the original intent of this thread which is to discuss the
Top 5 LEAST favorite shows from the 70s.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Jack P said:
Uh. no I don't think we made anything political. The shows we don't care for were the things guilty of that.
I believe the punchline was more on "I don't think we want to see Mike Brady doing that", in much the sense that we didn't want to see Greg Brady smuggled out of the country disguised as a girl in the Mission Impossible episode. :blink:

(Edit: Oops, sorry, that got out too late)

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Ethan Riley said:
I never understood why Scooby Doo shied away from real ghost storylines because the next year they came out with Funky Phantom who WAS a ghost, not to mention Goober (a ghost dog) a few years later.
Ah, but they were funny, cowardly ghosts, you see. (And still investigated fake ones.)

Ethan Riley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ethan Riley
LeoAmes said:
How would they resolve something if it turned out it was real?Beyond running away in terror in the Mystery Machine when they're finally convinced that this is the real deal, I don't see how there could be a resolution to most episodes like the one with the mad doctor at an insane asylum they had to spend the night at once during a thunderstorm when their van broke down.
I guess it could have been more of a Ghostbusters thing where they exorcise the evil ghost with a ray or something. The whole show never worked for me because of what you said--if they're supposed to be ghost hunters, why are they so cowardly around their "ghosts" in the first place? I always thought those kids were just torturing themselves...they're afraid of ghosts yet they spend all their time investigating haunted houses. Why do that?

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
Lol.....I thought of a show I hated when I was kid......The Electric Company! Soul Train never did anything for me either..... :lol:

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
For me, the real disappointment of the decade was in the situation comedies. The success of All in the Family really put a bad groove throughout most sitcoms of the era in my opinion. They seemed to all want to meet a certain definition of "relevance," which meant that they tended to load the cast with a lot of unlikable characters and depressing situations. Of the decade's successful sitcoms, only Brady Bunch, WKRP, and Sanford and Son (oddly produced by Norman Lear) largely seemed to escape that.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
JoeDoakes said:
For me, the real disappointment of the decade was in the situation comedies. The success of All in the Family really put a bad groove throughout most sitcoms of the era in my opinion. They seemed to all want to meet a certain definition of "relevance," which meant that they tended to load the cast with a lot of unlikable characters and depressing situations. Of the decade's successful sitcoms, only Brady Bunch, WKRP, and Sanford and Son (oddly produced by Norman Lear) largely seemed to escape that.
Looking at the two shows now, Sanford & Son is much funnier to me than All In The Family .

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I can't agree on that one. As the seasons went by I found that even from a laughs standpoint, Sanford grew exceptionally lame, with Foxx repeating his "How'd you like a fat lip?" stuff and then there were lame episodes like the "Steinberg And Son" one, or the one where Fred is hired as a double for Redd Foxx. AITF was always capable of its share of real laugh out loud stuff for a longer period.

There was one episode where they actually had Jonathan Harris as a guest as some art guy who swindles them and they missed a golden opportunity for some fireworks sequences that would have been funny (just imagine Sanford squaring off with Dr. Smith in a back and forth!).

Ron1973

Beverly Hillbilles nut extraordinaire
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron Reagan (not that one!)
John Hermes said:
Looking at the two shows now, Sanford & Son is much funnier to me than All In The Family .
I remember him getting into with Esther:

When I's born, my body was blessed by Mother Nature, honey!

(Fred looked her up and down)......Yeah, and as you got older, it was CURSED by Father Time!

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
LAST WARNING!

Some people just don't care to read.

I have just removed a post.

Next person that debates political issues or continues a line of conversation
I have already marked as being ended will have their account suspended.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Everyone...

Seems conversation has come to a halt here.

My apologies. Didn't mean to scare everyone off.

We are only concerned with political points of view being introduced
into this thread. Those that were responsible for those posts are well
aware of who they are as their content has been removed.

The rest of you are free to continue discussion as you have.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks